Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My sister is realy afraid for is child to be close to my dog. For xmas my mom received the family and i am living at my mom house i am 19 that mean my dog was there we got 2 dogs. When the dog come close to her child she start pushing back the dog and all those bad thing to do. Her boy friend also tap my dog on the head not so hard but still so a fight started because of that. The child is realy good with dog when she is not there i also showed her alot of video that my dog played with the child when she was not there and she started *bitching* at me and at my mom that it so dangerous and that the dog can bite the child on the face without giving any signe. I dont know why she is so afraid when i was young i was playing with a rottweiller, my grand-father had 2 big german shepherd and my mom was 1 years and her sister was 3 years they was playing alot with those 2 dogs never had any problem.

She also talk alot about news. When in news they said that someone got bite by a pitbull or a husky she call me and said you see and the person that got bite said the dog gave no sign before bitting her.

I know that i cant make her appreciate dog but i REALY dont want to put my dog in her crate all the time she come home for all day and also i dont want to put her down stairs it like if i was punishing her for nothing.
What i did today i gave my dog a big bone (femur) when we was eating but then when the child when on her feet she when close to my dog that has a bone and my sister was not confortable that my dog had a bone when her child running in the house so i took the bone away and i when to make my dog run outside and then she sleeped next to me when we was talking all the family together.

When my sister left with her boy friend and child all the family dont understand why she is so scare of dog. We understand but sometime she should be more relaxe.

What do you thing i can do ? When my sister come to me house with her child what i should do ? I know that i cant change her but i probably can do something for she be more calm and relaxe when my dog play with her child or just when they are close to each other.

(I am sry for my english is not my main language)
also the child got almost 3 years and she understand when we say like pet the dog slow.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Can you start including our sister and child on your walks and the fun things you do with your dog?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I think there is no need for the family to be worried as long as you are responsible around the child and the dog.

I agree with EmilyB, walking and doing fun things with the dog could definitely help.

When I introduce my boy to children, he can be a little too excited. I make sure he's had plenty of exercise, so it more tired, and then I start off slowly. I put my boy on the lead and sit him/lie him down and then, once he's calmed down, ask the child to approach from the side and let them pet his neck.

Good luck :)

·
_______
5,102 Posts
I wouldn't push the interaction with her child. I also would not tolerate any sort of rough treatment from anyone toward my dog. If it were me I would try to designate "dog free" and "child free" areas w/a baby gate in an effort to keep the hysterics to a minimum, that way all are given their "due" in some form as a compromise.

I can understand her reticence to a point. Motherhood can affect people in profound ways, becoming extremely protective/hypervigilant often comes w/the territory.

How many times have we all heard stories of a dog that wouldn't hurt a fly involved in something hideous usually due to human error, either the child's or owner not knowing their dog is going to react.

Maybe as the child grows and is able to understand how to treat animals with respect in a reliable way and that your dog is well behaved with time she might calm down.
Until then I would be very protective over your dog that it is never put in a position to be blamed for hurting her baby in any way.

Good luck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't push the interaction with her child. I also would not tolerate any sort of rough treatment from anyone toward my dog. If it were me I would try to designate "dog free" and "child free" areas w/a baby gate in an effort to keep the hysterics to a minimum, that way all are given their "due" in some form as a compromise.

I can understand her reticence to a point. Motherhood can affect people in profound ways, becoming extremely protective/hypervigilant often comes w/the territory.

How many times have we all heard stories of a dog that wouldn't hurt a fly involved in something hideous usually due to human error, either the child's or owner not knowing their dog is going to react.

Maybe as the child grows and is able to understand how to treat animals with respect in a reliable way and that your dog is well behaved with time she might calm down.
Until then I would be very protective over your dog that it is never put in a position to be blamed for hurting her baby in any way.

Good luck.
The child is pretty good with the dog she is coming calm to her and then pet the neck dog. But my sister REALY dont want any touching.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I would ask your sister what is the difference in a good well behaved child and a hoodlum??? Someone who loves, trains, supervises and trains them. Same with dogs.

BUT that being said regardless of training they are setting your dog up to not like them. If someone tapped my dog on the nose I would come unglued. There is no excuse for stupid behavior. Fear feeds fear.

Both you and the puppy are better to stay away from them and continue to socialize and train your dog other places. Why take the chance that they influence yours dogs behavior in the negative. The dog knows and feels their fear.

You can crate the dog to protect it from their dangerous child and that is exactly what I would tell them. If the say she has never done anything I would say neither has the dog.

Dogs do not bite for no reason - People are not supervising the situation and training both the child and the dog so they miss any warning signs.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Better safe than sorry, in my opinion. Your dog is still very immature and having a young child in the house along with parents that are afraid of the dog is not good. If this were my dog, I would exercise him before the family comes, then put him in the crate for a few hours, take him out and walk him again, and back in the crate. When ever I brought the dog around family, it would be on leash at all times and I would tell the family what I expected before bringing the dog out. I want my dog to be neutral to strangers, even family that I don't see often. So I would tell them I will bring the dog out and I want them to ignore the dog. If the parents are nervous about having the dog around the child, simply put the dog away with a bone for a while and take it for a walk later. The dog is not suffering for it. Don't put your dog in a situation where a problem could occur. If you don't like how other family members (like your sister's boyfriend) treat the dog, simply keep the dog away while he is there. Leaving the dog out to be hit in the head by a stranger is only going to create temperament problems.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I've had friends visiting and one hit Devon in the head and told her to get away she was a bad dog...............now I didn't see this but was told. I went right away to my friend and said "Don't you ever touch my dog like that"...my dobe loves people if you don't want her around you tell her to leave...she will obey. Devon never was around him again. I always praised her in his presence.............my dog is first over any friends!!

Now we have little kids visiting and Devon gets excited and playing pushed them down. She licked the child and she's a big dobe so I put her up until they left.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Well to be honest I'm also very attentive when my (human) boy is around dogs. I wouldn't say that I'm nervous, but I'm not taking my eyes away from them for more than a few seconds at a time. Even with small dogs. And I'm a dog-person. In general I think it's a good thing to be "paranoid" with things such as this, the trick is channelling that energy in a healthy way and using it to be a responsible and realistic parent, but not hysteric. Maybe it would help if you told her in an honest and relaxed way that you really do understand that she is protective of her child and don't want it to get hurt. Tell her how it is important to keep and eye at the child and dog when they interact, and tell her things about how they should interact and what to look out for, so she knows you have studied the subject and that you care. If you just tell her 'don't worry it's not gonna bite' she feel like you don't respect her love for her child and she will possibly lock down mentally. Makes sense?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
When my daughter was young and she had her little girl friends come to play,
I would simply put the dobes down stairs..It's not that I did not trust the dobes, I did not trust the children...
Children can be weird and cruel without you seeing..So if they are not children in the household..just separate.
I would NEVER let another person touch my dobes if not for petting or kissing....I would not associate with people who would even think of doing something like that. In my house it's love me, love my dog or you know where the door is..

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Votre sœur ne va pas à l'écoute, je pense que vous ne changerez pas l'esprit de votre soeur jamais. Enregistrez vos mots. Lorsque votre sœur visites de la maison de votre mère, de sortir pour un temps avec votre chien. Lorsque vous revenez laissez reposer votre chien loin de votre sœur et l'enfant. Ce n'est pas une punition pour le chien, mais pour garder en sécurité.
L'ami de votre sœur qui a frappé votre chien, dites-lui «ne touchez pas mon chien."
Établir des règles que vous et ils continuent.
Par souci de votre chien, de maintenir la distance entre le chien et l'enfant.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
My son is dating a gal with a 2 yr old and when she comes over she love s to play with my dogs, and they love her. She will get down on the floor and play and the dogs get right there with her, she pets them and rolls around with them, and even Nexus, my wild child understands its a little person and is not as rough as she is with us big people. I dont know what advice to give on getting her to accept that these dogs know the difference but maybe just observing that your dog is good with her kid would convince her. I am always right there and would not leave my dogs alone with Elaina and always make sure that Elaina is not pulling on them to be on the safe side as wlel. Both dogs and kids need to be taught respect for each other.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
My son is dating a gal with a 2 yr old and when she comes over she love s to play with my dogs, and they love her. She will get down on the floor and play and the dogs get right there with her, she pets them and rolls around with them, and even Nexus, my wild child understands its a little person and is not as rough as she is with us big people. I dont know what advice to give on getting her to accept that these dogs know the difference but maybe just observing that your dog is good with her kid would convince her. I am always right there and would not leave my dogs alone with Elaina and always make sure that Elaina is not pulling on them to be on the safe side as wlel. Both dogs and kids need to be taught respect for each other.
I do wholeheartedly agree that kids should be taught respect of any animal and from a very early age. However, if the parents of the child are unwilling for their child to come into contact with say your dog it is hard to do anything of the sort. From what Roxy said in her original posting she is battling not only against her sisters intransigence but her sisters boyfriend who took upon himself to punish the dog by hitting it on the head. Unbelievable. If it were my dog and someone outside my immediate family, by that I mean my Husband or Son said so much as BOO to my dog they would rue the day they did anything of the sort.

Now whilst it is nice that ones children visit, they should not do so and expect to call the shots. This is where if I were Roxy's mother I would lay down the law. Obviously she allows Roxy and her dog to live under her roof, and I would imagine she has set down a few rules with regards. If I were Roxy's mum I would sit the pair of them down and have a heart to heart with them both whilst at the same time lay down a few ground rules. If childs mum really doesnt want her child to come into contact with the dog then something must be set up wherein no contact is made. This should not be at the expense of the dogs feelings anymore than it should the childs mother. However, calling her sister up and saying, 'look this or that dog bit this or that person and its owners said they always thought it it wouldn't hurt so much as a fly.' Or words to that effect is just plain ridiculous and paranoid. She obviously won't ever let her child go to school in case it gets picked on, or cross the road in case it gets run over and so on. No one can predict what the future will bring, but with careful management of situations one can forestall a great many problems and potential tragedies.

However, at the end of the day visitors must respect the simple fact that they are just that, VISITORS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts