Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Archer is a BIG 13 week gorgeous boy! This is our second dobe and our first experience with ear cropping. We live in the Rocky Mts and few vets do this procedure. We were excited to find one that was confident in performing the procedure with the end result being show ears.
This past Sunday the procedure was done, and Archer home with a cone, ears wrapped up (joined to a arch) and stitches exposed and in place at the base of the ears. We were given amoxicillan 2 x daily, and a pain med 1 x daily (3 day supply). Also valium as needed every 4 hours (we stopped this after day 2, it was causing him psychosis instead of relief). She then suggested benedryl as needed (not noticing this does much). We've perfered to have our non doped boy, and found him to be more manageable. Silver nitrate cream (generally used for burns), instructed to use 2 x daily on base of ears. This cream noteably hurt our Archer when applying and hours later appeared to cause a increase in swellling to irritation to his ears. We stopped the cream (against the vets advice). Now using neosporin (also a antibacterial cream).

He's with my husband 24 7 in house under watchful eyes. The knot holding one ears stitching came apart after day 1. The vet then stapled and glued. Today, day 4, one staple is coming out. Also the other stitch knot on the other ear is not apart but has loosened a lot. No scabbing is occuring and it's not infected but is swollen still and weeps a very small amount of clear fluid at times. It doesn't appear to be healing yet. No problems with the ear wraps.

Is this slow healing progression exspected?
Should I be using any cream on his ears? or just let it scab?
Any opinions on the stitches and staples?
:confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very few breeders in Colorado, unfortunely. We purchased him from Missiouri. The guidance would of been great though, and lessons learned.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I sent you a PM. I would get him into see Dr. Fasth (303 279 5952) in Golden.. she is truly wonderful. A kind and knowledgeable Doberman breeder and vet, the only one in our region who is reputable with ear cropping. She would be able to make sure your boy's ears are in good shape.

When we got Callie's ears cropped, they looked like a mess for the first 3 days.. oozy, scabby and just gross. The only thing we were instructed to put on her ears was neosporin 1x day, a thin layer. I'm really worried that your vet would suggest benadryl to knock your puppy out.. that seems a little shady to me.

What about pictures of your pup? We love pictures around here :)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Personally I would not be pleased if that's how my pups ears were wrapped just after a crop. I would follow the advice given to you and get him into see the crop vet mentioned above.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
From Missouri??? what "breeder"??
That was my exact thought when I saw where this pup is from, I really hope its not one of Kerwins dogs, that man really needs to be put out of business.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I asked because there is a nasty breeder here in Missouri that is always willing to "ship" her "championship blood" pups and breeds dobes with leg deformities. Her name is "Margo" or something.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Sounds like your talking about Margo Richards of Guardian Angel dobermans, I believe. Dont remember what state shes in tho. There are a lot of puppymills and byb in Missouri!

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I can second Dr. Monica - She has helped a couple of my families with posting once they got their puppy. But the cropping and healing was already done they just did not want to post in case they messed it up. Sorry you are having to go through this.

It is one of the biggest reasons I like to do ears at 7 weeks. I hate the e collar as it does not allow the ears to stand correctly and mashes them down to a point. Take the collar off and just watch the puppy. Make sure the back nails are clipped really short will also help.

But at day 4 if stitches come out I would not worry. They will go ahead and heal and really not much you can do now that won't cause more trauma to the puppy.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hopefully I can over some encouragement for you. My girls ears were done at 10 weeks by a vet of our choosing. She came home from her surgery looking completely butchered. I posted a pic on here and everyone's response was that it was pretty horrific. I was worried beyond belief that I had just done the worst thing ever to my puppy, and she would never be OK. Well, it did seem to take awhile but her ears did heal beautifully. They never got infected either. While her ears were healing I kept sending pics to the vet and he kept saying that they were coming along just fine and not to worry. I was told to just leave them alone except for putting some neosporin on them. They were cropped 4 weeks ago now and I'm so happy with the results. One of her ears has even been standing for the last 5 days now with no posting. I'm absolutely shocked, but it all turned out just fine.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Very few breeders in Colorado, unfortunely. We purchased him from Missiouri. The guidance would of been great though, and lessons learned.
If you had been patient and did thorough research, you would've found that there are two really great breeders in Colorado. One of them being Dr. Fasth.

·
Super Moderator
21,908 Posts
The breeder has nothing to do with the ears, however... I think we should focus on helping the pup now that he's home - that part's a done deal.

I hope that Dr Fasth can help you and your boy - please keep us updated.
Have to agree with Erica. The pup is already home and scolding the new owner is not going to do any good. It's one thing when someone comes here looking for help in finding a pup - that's a great time to educate. This pup is already home, and the owner loves this pup enough to come here and ask for help.

OP, I would second the suggestion to visit the experienced cropping vet mentioned earlier in the thread. Many vets are not great at cropping, and can be even worse with aftercare. I think you'll feel better if you bring the pup in to see Dr. Fasth. She can take a look at the ears, make sure they are healing well, and help you out with aftercare. We also have a lot of members in the area that are probably willing to help you with ear posting later after the ears are healed.

Please introduce yourself in the New Members section and share some pictures of your pup when you can.

·
Registered
939 Posts
OP lives "on the other side" of the mountains from the rest of the DT Colorado members, it seems. Thats a 5 hours drive to anything on our side, which might have precluded her coming here when she was looking for ear croppers.

Perhaps if anyone knew of a Western Slope vet that would be reliable enough to help with the healing ears? Grand Junction or the like?

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I did a DT search on Colorado croppers and the only one I could find recommended was Dr. Fasth. Maybe if you call Dr. Fasth's office they can recommend a vet closer to you, one that is experienced with crop aftercare.

Also, contact the DPC/Rocky Mountain and see if someone can give you a vet recommendation for followup care in your area.

Doberman Pinscher Club of the Rocky Mountain Area (DPCRMA) - Club Officers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can second Dr. Monica - She has helped a couple of my families with posting once they got their puppy. But the cropping and healing was already done they just did not want to post in case they messed it up. Sorry you are having to go through this.

It is one of the biggest reasons I like to do ears at 7 weeks. I hate the e collar as it does not allow the ears to stand correctly and mashes them down to a point. Take the collar off and just watch the puppy. Make sure the back nails are clipped really short will also help.

But at day 4 if stitches come out I would not worry. They will go ahead and heal and really not much you can do now that won't cause more trauma to the puppy.[/QUOTE

The "collar" or cone is homemade, per the vet, due to it does lie back off of his ears. It has worked effectively, although needs a new one every 2 days. I agree the ears should of been done much earlier. Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Kim Utz from Missiouri

My dealings with her have been positive

I REALLY appreciate everyones advice! We called Dr. Fasth yesterday and were only able to leave her a message. Hopefully Monday we'll be able to hear from her. We are located on the Western Slope of Colorado (small farm town).

I'm pleased to write that Archer has improved over the past 48hrs. Another vet check took place on Friday with Dr. Raymond. The swelling is down on the Rt ear and the Lt is getting there. I'm finally seeing some scabbing! Only using neosporin lightly once daily and antibiotic's 2 x daily. We took him for a walk around the lake today, which he loved :) It's what we all needed!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts