Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
MOATS
1,922 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought it looks like the puppy is newly cropped, with ears folded over the top of the head and taped down.

It could indeed be from the place you mentioned, tho.
See below...

Thanks everyone for your help.

She is from European bloodlines and came from a breeder out west. We were told she had a few white hairs between her shoulders and we were fine with that. But, when we took her out of the kennel at the airport, she had more than a few. The picture posted was taken MOnday night and she is covered.

We contacted the breeder within a day of having her and he was less than helpful and a bit rude. I spent a lot of time researching breeders and would have expected more from a breeder of this calibre.

Our ear crop vet used to breed Dobes and also has 6 of them. She said in 40 years as a vet, she has never seen this. we have had her to 2 other vets and it is a mystery to all.

We are feeding Royal Canine without any issues. She eats well and is without any bowel or bladder issues. She loves to play and is healthy from all other acounts.

Any input is apprciated

·
Registered
716 Posts
Breeders name would be helpfull for all of us. If you wouldn't mind sharing we all would appreshiate it.

And yep! She is turning white... Cute little thing...

·
We Serve the Doberman
900 Posts
When we first got Dexter, he got these little bald patches (about the size of a pencil eraser head), and the vet said that his immune system was compromised from the stress of a new home and such.

She prescribed an antibiotic to kill the abundance of little mites that apparently are normally there, but will overwhelm the dog if he is stressed.

When the hair grew back in --- it was white. But not individual little white hairs, like this case. Dexter's little white patches are in small groupings.

I just wonder if there is some type immune system thing going on?

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I have seen this before in a red Doberman. From a breeder out west. That breeds Euro Dobermans.
Oh my goodness, he is supposed to have THREE LITTERS within a three week time span. He's certainly a busy man. I can just imagine how much attention all those puppies get.:(:(:(

Her breeder, if it is who we suspect, is probably feeding a cheap food to maximize profits.

Royal Canin is not a quality food. For the same amount of money, you can get a higher quality food. Please refer to the list I gave you before.

She won't have poop problems from eating low quality food.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My boston had demodex as a small puppy duse to stress as well but only lost about two nickel sized patches and hers grew in mainly black but with single white hairs patched in. Have you had a skin scraping don? The plane ride alone is enough to cause a reaction and Dobes tend to have a lot of skin problems including demodectic mange so that is where I'd start.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
"white hair may be caused by thyroid deficiencies or a deficiency of vitamin B-12 and anemia.
Physical or emotional trauma can cause body stress that affects the production of melanin and moves growing hair into the resting phase.
A number of skin disorders may cause the hair to fall out and regrow as white."

What Causes Hair to Turn White? | eHow.com

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2111&aid=425

"Dogs with vitiligo normally have development of patches of white hair or white hairs scattered in the hair coat"
Read more: Skin - Depigmentation or Pigmentation - VetInfo
http://www.vetinfo.com/ddepigmt.html

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
It can also be a reaction from having had Parvo. I don't know if you all remember, but Jewell had that same condition after she recovered. To the OP, unless it is something really weird, it will probably come in normal when she loses her puppy coat. But I would definitely ask your breeder if this puppy has been ill and if so, how long ago. I didn't see how old she is....

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I was thinking Bramley Lobes as well, or Bunder Dalley.

Kylie (my fawn rescue girl, for the OP) has vitiligo, and the pattern of white isn't really expressed in the same way as in this puppy's picture.

I think your best bet is to see a dermatologist for an accurate diagnosis, make sure it's just a cosmetic issue.

·
Super Moderator
22,338 Posts
I also know someone with a Dobe who has vitiligo, and it's not expressed in a regular pattern like that. I doubt that's what it is.

I also recommend a consult with a veterinary dermatologist.

Please, OP, share the name of your breeder. It's nice to warn other people.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have seen it or something similar in two Rotts that I know / knew.
However both were pets from BYBrs. Neither owner ever discovered the cause.
I know that at least one owner fed him a fairly high end food.

I will say one of the dogs is still alive and doing well. The other one did pass away due to cancer but he was not a young dog when she lost him. So it did not seem to effect health at all

Sue

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,338 Posts
Hope you get this figured out soon browneyes!

I am apparently retarded and cannot figure this out...

:thinking:
Pretty sure they are talking about Family Dobes :)

21 - 40 of 71 Posts