Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I've never seen that. My black girl had a blond undercoat, most evident when she was young, but only on her neck. And it wasn't visible unless you petted her "against the grain". Hoping someone here can help you out. More info might be helpful, where did she come from, did this just start or was it always there, stuff like that.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Does this happen to z factored dogs?
Doubt it. Z factored can be carriers of the albino gene without being afflicted, but from my rudimentary knowledge of genetics it is an all or nothing thing. I readily admit it's been a decade since I took a genetics class though, so I may be wrong.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
There have been a couple of people on here with the same problem before.

Pretty sure I read it is low quality dog food. What are you feeding her???

Try something like Acana, Natures Variety Prairie, Wellness, Innova.

Something from this list http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/4-star/

·
Still a Pup
2,733 Posts
Did she have a fever at any point? I seem to remember someone's dog on here being sick, having a fever, and the hair that grew back was white.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your help.

She is from European bloodlines and came from a breeder out west. We were told she had a few white hairs between her shoulders and we were fine with that. But, when we took her out of the kennel at the airport, she had more than a few. The picture posted was taken MOnday night and she is covered.

We contacted the breeder within a day of having her and he was less than helpful and a bit rude. I spent a lot of time researching breeders and would have expected more from a breeder of this calibre.

Our ear crop vet used to breed Dobes and also has 6 of them. She said in 40 years as a vet, she has never seen this. we have had her to 2 other vets and it is a mystery to all.

We are feeding Royal Canine without any issues. She eats well and is without any bowel or bladder issues. She loves to play and is healthy from all other acounts.

Any input is apprciated

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did she have a fever at any point? I seem to remember someone's dog on here being sick, having a fever, and the hair that grew back was white.
Never seen that before. where'd you get her? Someone reputable? What did they say?
I got her from a breeder out west. It is a big time kennel and I definitely expected more from them. We now have an expensive Dobe with white hair!!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Thanks everyone for your help.

She is from European bloodlines and came from a breeder out west. We were told she had a few white hairs between her shoulders and we were fine with that. But, when we took her out of the kennel at the airport, she had more than a few. The picture posted was taken MOnday night and she is covered.

We contacted the breeder within a day of having her and he was less than helpful and a bit rude. I spent a lot of time researching breeders and would have expected more from a breeder of this calibre.

Our ear crop vet used to breed Dobes and also has 6 of them. She said in 40 years as a vet, she has never seen this. we have had her to 2 other vets and it is a mystery to all.

We are feeding Royal Canine without any issues. She eats well and is without any bowel or bladder issues. She loves to play and is healthy from all other acounts.

Any input is apprciated
I started a dog food business almost 10 years ago, selling Royal Canine.
(cancelled brand after first year / due to corn & beet pulp)
- not worth the premium $$

Honestly, Canidae all-life-stages is better at the same price point.
- I even switched over all my customes...with great results
(Royal Canine, is more marketing than best quality)

Better still...Holistic-Blend Lamb&Rice
Very best...Organix Chicken
- just my opinion / I equally blend, the last two, listed now

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Could be allergies I had a pit bull that was black with terrible allergies and whenever something set her off she has white hairs pop up similar to your dog . They never went away just took us a while to figure out what to feed her I know you spent quite a bit of money but if its nothing serious I think it looks cool and different love her the way she is

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Western part of the US, "big time kennel", breeder is a male, and the puppy was uncropped...let me guess, does the kennel name rhyme with bramley lobes?
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought it looks like the puppy is newly cropped, with ears folded over the top of the head and taped down.

It could indeed be from the place you mentioned, tho.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts