Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I've now started to panic. 馃槚

Ripley has recently started to limp around the house and the yard. It started with her front right leg around the week of halloween. We thought it could be due to the rough playing with our adult dobes. It resolved on its own about 2 days after halloween but lasted well into a week.

Today we went on to have a bit of refresher training in the back yard and I noticed she was very uninterested in sitting, coming, or even just giving me her paw to shake. (she's always very eager to show me what she remembers and wants to learn.) So to see how passive she was is very concerning. Maybe its hot out? (88 degrees F here in San Diego today.)

I took to the leash to give her a little motivation, nope. I noticed her back legs are sort of seeming to drag behind her. Which could be why she doesn't want to sit or lay either? I'm worried now. She doesn't show any signs of pain, where I guess most of them don't anyways.

My mind goes straight to all the things that could go wrong with dobermans, hard on the wobblers. I tend to think and fear the worst.

Any advice on what to do? I've planned to make a vet visit to rule out any torn muscles or something worse. But until then, has anyone had anything similar or seen anything similar to this?

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks for reading my first hefty post! 馃檹

Here is Ripley (left) and Rusty (right) at Balboa Park Gardens a couple of days ago. 馃枻

Premium Member
Well trip to the vet is a must.
Sometimes going earlier to the doctor is better than going to the doctor later.
But meanwhile....... I can always tell with my boy Hoss based on where he licks.
Do you notice pup giving attention to any specific areas while layed back and resting.
Take careful notice of toe nails and the actual nail beds sometimes they get little cuts in Those ares.
Give your dog a real good look over as the days go by looking for anything you can bring to your vets attention.
Those visits are so quick these days!!!
I am sure more folks will add more info ........

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Well trip to the vet is a must.
Sometimes going earlier to the doctor is better than going to the doctor later.
But meanwhile....... I can always tell with my boy Hoss based on where he licks.
Do you notice pup giving attention to any specific areas while layed back and resting.
Take careful notice of toe nails and the actual nail beds sometimes they get little cuts in Those ares.
Give your dog a real good look over as the days go by looking for anything you can bring to your vets attention.
Those visits are so quick these days!!!
I am sure more folks will add more info ........
I inspect them as if I've birthed them myself (LOL)

I can't seem to find anything that could be poking or pulling or cut or anything! I've massaged her back legs and now she is knocked out. She doesn't really lick at anything, ever. So I guess thats a god sign?
I've moved the limbs in a normal motion she would move them in if she was walking or attempting to lay down. No yelping, whining, crying. Not sure if she's just that tough, or it doesn't hurt.
I will monitor for a couple days, and see what the vet says for sure. Thank you!

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I inspect them as if I've birthed them myself (LOL)

I can't seem to find anything that could be poking or pulling or cut or anything! I've massaged her back legs and now she is knocked out. She doesn't really lick at anything, ever. So I guess thats a god sign?
I've moved the limbs in a normal motion she would move them in if she was walking or attempting to lay down. No yelping, whining, crying. Not sure if she's just that tough, or it doesn't hurt.
I will monitor for a couple days, and see what the vet says for sure. Thank you!
GOOD *** not god sign. whoops

Registered
How old is the puppy? One of the possibilities panosteitis--in growing puppies mostly--will make them lame and not necessarily in the same leg--the dx is usually by doing x-rays and you might want to talk to the vets because if the vet thinks that's a possibility it's quite painful and she should be on meds for that. But if you are going to wait and see, keep a log as to what leg she is limping on and for how long at a time. It's the kind of thing that will allow the vet to rule out other possibilities.

As I recall there is also quite a lot of information in the internet about pano--you might want to check out the indications that may show up in a puppy who is limping because of pano.

You might want to restrict exercise too until you find out for sure.

dobebug

Super Moderator
My first thought was pano, too, Bug. I'd bring it up with the vet, too, especially with it being different limbs. Things like Wobblers are pretty atypical for a puppy, and the presentation isn't typical for Wobblers. But a vet visit is your best bet. Given that vets are really overwhelmed, you may want to see if you can do a phone call first. I know it's tough to get appointments right now, so they may have a suggestion like trying activity restriction to see if you get improvement.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Yes the vets are crazy busy these days. They were able to give me a call back just now and I explained to them the same things I mentioned above. They said to monitor her and if it doesn't seem to be getting better on its own, we can bring her in for x-ray and exams. They are usually pretty good at squeezing us in for anything. ( I think its the secret love for the only dobermans at the clinic :sneaky:)

Thank you for the feedback! Before today, I hadn't heard of pano!

Premium Member
I agree with Bug - Pano would be my first guess..... but it is just a guess. I'd talk to your vet. You also might want to look at what you are feeding. If it is high in protein, you might want to consider a lower protein kibble in the 26% range.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with Bug - Pano would be my first guess..... but it is just a guess. I'd talk to your vet. You also might want to look at what you are feeding. If it is high in protein, you might want to consider a lower protein kibble in the 26% range.

Thank you! I feed all of them Victor Dog Food! Exactly 26% protein. 2 times a day 2 cups each meal. (as per the instructions on the bag)

Registered
For those saying Pano, have you seen "back legs are sort of seeming to drag behind her". I'm genuinely asking because I've never had a puppy with pano. My impression was that it was more something you would see off and on in one leg or another?

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
For those saying Pano, have you seen "back legs are sort of seeming to drag behind her". I'm genuinely asking because I've never had a puppy with pano. My impression was that it was more something you would see off and on in one leg or another?

I've never had a pup with this either, nor have I ever heard of it before this.
She is favoring her back left leg this morning, but it seemed to be the both of them bothering her yesterday. She is slow getting up and around this morning. I've kept her inside so she won't have the urge to get rough with the other out back. She eats about half of her first meal in the morning and all of her second meal in the late afternoon. Not sure if its her being in pain that she snubs her food or what. She's usually the second one done lol.

Registered
I've heard of it and every puppy I've known of had it in their back leg but I don't recall mention of them dragging their legs. Interested in hearing what others that have dealt with it have to say.

Premium Member
Any of us here can guess what it might be based on our experiences, but none of the people who have responded are a vet .... and even a vet would need to actually see your puppy. I highly recommend taking her to a vet for some diagnostics. Right now a lot of vets are totally slammed, so calling now and making an appointment would be wise as it might be over a week before you can even get in to see them.
Pano is my quick guess, but if you have ticks in the area, it could be tick borne or who knows. I'd consider having X-rays, tick panel, and see what the vet suggests.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all!

She does perk up and put the assumed pain to the side when she sees my 2 year old female and tries to play like she normally would. Is that a good sign? She will trot around the yard with her with little to no limping, but will get right back to it when the initial excitement stops.

I will give the vet a call back and schedule a consult and an X-ray.

Living la Vida Loca!
I think your best bet is to get her to the vet asap. I came home one day last year and Sugar had great difficulty getting up. When I googled why a puppy couldn't walk it was the stuff of nightmares. I called his vet and they took him right in for a thorough assessment. Luckily he just had a soft tissue injury that happened while he was home alone.

A few days of attempted rest and pain meds, he was flying around the house again.

Please take her to the vet.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
I think your best bet is to get her to the vet asap. I came home one day last year and Sugar had great difficulty getting up. When I googled why a puppy couldn't walk it was the stuff of nightmares. I called his vet and they took him right in for a thorough assessment. Luckily he just had a soft tissue injury that happened while he was home alone.

A few days of attempted rest and pain meds, he was flying around the house again.

Please take her to the vet.

I sure will get her in! Thank you for the input.

Super Moderator
I would try to get some good video of what you're seeing. If you are able to send it to your vet prior to your consult that could be very helpful.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts