Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

My pup Dolce's doin pretty well.. she got her stitches out last weekend and they are now posted.. the right one is nice and straight, but the left one is leaning a lot inwards now. Is this alright, or should i repost?

I let her meet my buddies female pitbull and so far everything is ok. The pitt realizes Dolce is just a pup and lets her get away with sniffing her bum and nippin her a bit. But i'm concerned that my pup keeps tryin to nip/bite my friends pitbull. Is this normal puppy behaviour or should i try to discourage this behaviour? The pitbull did growl at her one time cuz she was getting pretty bratty. Other than that, they get along.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Puppies often nip and play-fight with other dogs. Sometimes the other dog will put them in their place, otherwise they just get tormented until the pup grows out of it. :)

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
You'll have to keep posting for several months, no way around it if you want the ears to stand correctly.

Reactions: Dobesanddragons

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
She needs reposted.
Watch to make sure pitbull doesn't overcorrect her normal behavior.
Puppies are pesky.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh my mistake i meant to say her ears are posted already..but one of the ears are leaning inwards while they are still posted. Should i take the posts off again and re do it? the breeder did the first posts..

·
Super Moderator
15,643 Posts
oh my mistake i meant to say her ears are posted already..but one of the ears are leaning inwards while they are still posted. Should i take the posts off again and re do it? the breeder did the first posts..
You want to avoid having them lean inwards. So make sure the tissue is not loose when you tape them up, just slightly pull the ear to avoid pockets and ears leaning inwards.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
You will be redoing them around every 4 days, for the next 4 months,sometimes they will look great and other times you will mess up....see if you can fix it with a little more tape, instead of re-posting.

My puppy who is close to 7 months and 75 pounds.....is still being pesky with all the adult dogs in his walking pack. They are all really good with Petey,even at his size, they know he is just a puppy, most try to ignore him, and occasionally he gets a good nip. When he gets too overly crazy....leash goes on, and off we go away from the group.

Carol

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I agree.. If the ear is leaning it needs to be reposted.. Puppies play hard and sometimes don't know the rules of the game. Just make sure the game stay on a friendly ground and umpire any disagreement that my come up.. Puppies learn manners from the Mom and the littermate.. So the Pit may take that place and correct the pup if it is getting out of hand. Just keep a watchful eye..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey all

My pup Dolce's doin pretty well.. she got her stitches out last weekend and they are now posted.. the right one is nice and straight, but the left one is leaning a lot inwards now. Is this alright, or should i repost?
Hi,

Did you pick up Dolce from Gatehouse Dobermans? If so I have her sister (named Dita) here lying beside me and she's also had issues with one of her taped ears leaning in. One of the first things I did was add some additional tape to the "bridge" between the two ears to reinforce it and make both ears remain parallel to each other. Its worked OK so far but the tape is definitely starting to lose it's adhesive so I will probably have to re-tape her ears this weekend anyway.

x

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh nice! Yes I have also picked up my pup from Gatehouse. Very kind, helpful breeders. Do you have a black one or red? They had quite the litter huh? 12 pups! Yeah, my pup managed to take off one of her ear posts last night! Do you post them yourself or do you go to Gatehouse to have them post it again?

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
You need to keep posting. You don't want an ear with a pocket that leans inward.

Just watch the interactions closely between the girls, don't leave them unsupervised. Also, take some pictures and share them with us. :)
Sounds like they are working it out in this case but puppies sure can be annoying to other dogs at times, the puppies don't know any better and they are learning. Some dogs don't like puppies at all for this reason, there is a Dobe male that hated a puppy bitch of mine, but when she grew up and got some manners, they were in love. Some dogs give puppies special puppy licenses that run up when the puppy gets a bit older then one day it runs up. Every situation is different and dynamic. That is why supervising is so important.
I set up my puppies in puppy kindergarten and set them up with other dogs I know or puppies that are friendly to help teach more manners in a play date setting with the owners supervising. Puppies need to learn good things with dogs that are already socialized and play nice. I have heard sometimes negative experiences with puppies and social interactions can set some far back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts