Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Within 10 secs. of waking up and coming out of his crate, he is going full throttle. Soooooo hyper!! All the time, he never just sits still so I can rub him and show him some affection. He just turned 4 mos. old. He is indoors a lot, but gets several long leash walks daily with occasional off leash exercise when at my parents' house with fenced in back yard. I seriously think he has ADD or something. Any suggestions on calming him down? Will he grow out of this? Any food or supplements to try? Thanks so much everyone !

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
he needs mental stimulation too, not just walks. This breed is in the top five of the smartest breeds. So if they don't tire out mentally they will exude that energy into playing around being silly. Bugging you to play, try teaching him some new tricks. Making him work for his food. Make him use that smarty pants brain he has.

I can't just rely on walks to tire out my 8 month old pup, even when he was your pups age, you can really run them yet so I taught him tricks. He know how to

sit
wait
shake
other paw shake
down
bow
speak
spin around
jump
up
off
catch food
throw a piece of food off his nose into the air and catch it
he has a release word to eat which is "okay eat"
I play the find it game where I hid treats and tell him to find them
he knows what enough means

there might be more but he knows all this by 8 months because he is so smart and ready and willing to use that brain of his. Maybe take him to puppy classes. I used to take Odin to the grocery store and let people approach him and that was a good time that I taught him "off" I allowed people that wanted to pet him give him treats.

oh there is so much you can do to tire out your pup, I just bought a rubber ball that has to holes at either end with testicle like this around the hole and its a mental simulator making your dog work for his food by trying to figure out how to get their food out of the holes. Odin is LOVING this ball right now.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I just bought a rubber ball that has to holes at either end with testicle like this around the hole and its a mental simulator making your dog work for his food by trying to figure out how to get their food out of the holes. Odin is LOVING this ball right now.
Dual nomination - Best Typo and Best Freudian Slip - for the "testicle" bit...

Best Typo nomination for "mental simulator"...

Too funny!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
o0 sHaDoWoLf 0o - great list & advise.

I read some place once:
20 minutes of mental stimulation = a 60 minute walk
Plus, the Training has so many added benifits, over a plain-jane walk.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Dual nomination - Best Typo and Best Freudian Slip - for the "testicle" bit...

Best Typo nomination for "mental simulator"...

Too funny!
>_< ROFL wow!

this is what happens when you live with a male dog and to human males LOL

I even re read it, I cant believe I didnt catch that
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
I cant stop laughing at that typo

Reactions: brw1982

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
o0 sHaDoWoLf 0o quote:
"a rubber ball that has to holes at either end with testicle like this around the hole"

I just can't quite visualize this--I wanna see a picture!
I have some video of him playing with the ball, I will have to post it now >_<

·
Got mutt?
13,828 Posts
Okay, now that I'm over my laghter induced coughing fit, back to the OP's question. Your puppy is a four month old puppy. They generally have more energy than they know what to do with. Training is a good way to wear them out. And I don't mean work with him until he's do exhausted he can't function. Lots of short (5 to 20 minutes, depending on his attention span) training sessions through out the day will help.

My mutt, Ilka, was the highest energy puppy I've known, even more so than my Rat Terrier. She was (and still is) a challange to keep up with. Maturity has helped, but she still exhausts me sometimes

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
That was hilarious haha

Anyway, I have a 4 month old puppy too. They just require a lot of mental stimulation and excersise. If he has all his shots take him to a field somewhere or any place where you can let him explore. I did this past weekend and Diesel was so tired after. Then the next day he had a puppy playdate. Its just a lot of little things like that that really help them. Don't get me wrong Diesel is just like the energizer bunny but when he's tired he will nap for a little. He still takes about 3 solid naps a day. Maybe join a puppy kindergarten class to give him something to do. You need to put that energy to good use. They love to work so training is a great idea even if you just work it into normal play. I use Diesels toys sometimes instead of food.

Keep in mind he's just a baby :)

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
o0 sHaDoWoLf
0o
- great list & advise.

I read some place once:
20 minutes of mental stimulation = a 60 minute walk
Plus, the Training has so many added benifits, over a plain-jane walk.
I've heard it also and seen it. Its great for bonding and being a teacher for a dobe. When Nubis has certain lines in his head, I say put your thinking hat on, and its my cue to show him something mind challenging. LOL
Great advice by sHaDoWoLf

Reactions: o0 sHaDoWoLf 0o

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
From my experience, ALL Dobe puppies, and full grown dogs, are high energy. Remember they have a strong play drive and will become frustrated and destructive if not exercised enough.
We tried walking baby Garth before and after work but that was not nearly enough. We learned the hard way that Dobermans need hours of exercise each day.
Playing frisbee at a dog park, exploring a conservation area, making friends at doggie daycare.....When we moved to the country our dog completley changed. He really needed to run off leash.
I can't express enough how important it is to let your Doberman run and burn off steam. We have our 2nd girl now and at age 9 she still spends several hours running and playing outside with her sister.
For the original poster, i hope this works out for you. Your Doberman is going to be such an integral part of your family. Give your pup the time to run and play everyday and I promise you will see a new dog. :)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Short training sessions.
flirt pole with stuffless rabbit/duck/raccoon at the end.
tug and retrieve
Going to new places can help tire them out mentally. The lake, the river, nature trails, bike paths, outdoor mall/shopping centers, walks around farms with cows/horses. I take Bronson to get my oil changed and car washed.
Work on training at these new places.

We took Bronson to this huge dog fair/expo thing when he was about 5 months old. There was probably 3000 people and 1000 dogs there. (all on leashes) He was so worn out from the excitement/stress of so many people/dogs/things he was out for the rest of the day/night.

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
awwww.... aren't puppies fun :)

I can't add anymore to what's already been said.... maybe it's a boy/male thing - I've only raised a boy puppy - but the mental stimulation thing amazingly tires them out.. but it does me too. Puts me and him on the couch fighting over the remote.

·
Registered
939 Posts
We have a wild oup these days too :) When shes amped up and go go go- I just try to redirect her something positive. We work on sit/down/bow/heel, or even better- 'puppy puzzles' for SAR.. or I give her a kong with peanut butter and yam chunks (frozen). Even after our daily long hikes shes wild! I just chalk it up to having a breed of dog that was made to WORK. They need to have energy like that! Just gotta channel it into good ;) hehe

1 - 20 of 25 Posts