Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday night he woke up in the middle of the night and had very very soft stool. He was not even able to make it outside and had accident on tile. He is 9 months old and doesn't make accidents anymore. He will even cry to go outside to vomit so this is not like him to just go inside house.( he has not vonited recenly this has been in past..so vomiting is not part of this sickness)Then yesterday(sunday) he was still his normal happy self all day but still same poop.

Well.... Last night was horrible! He made about 4 accidents during night and I was up every hour with him. I called vet early this morning and they said bring in sample and they would send it to lab and I would be able to bring him in tomorrow. I'm not sure what to do because I want something done now I don't want to wait until tomorrow for them to see him and him have another bad night.

I fed him cup rice and cup of his food last night and he still had horrible night last night. He gets fed pro plan puppy and has been on same food since 3 months. He is also not having any treats at all. He had just rice for breakfast and he is drinking fine. I'm also giving ice to try to get more water in him.

What do I do to try to help him til tomorrow when vet gets lab results on fecal? I am doing best I can to keep him hydrated...I'm very upset my pup has this problem and has to wait for lab results...

Thank you so much for anyone that has any ideas or help of what I need to do.

·
Got mutt?
13,838 Posts
Personally, if it's that bad, I'd call the vet back and tell them you want him seen today.

Reactions: RedFawnRising

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally, if it's that bad, I'd call the vet back and tell them you want him seen today.
Yeah I couldn't take it anymore and called vet to tell them I wanted him in now. She made an appt. for me an acted like no big deal. Just upsets me that I don't feel like Phoenix health is important to them. Maybe I'm over reacting but I think it's time to change vet!

·
Got mutt?
13,838 Posts
It might be time, yes. Especially if they routinely act like it's an imposition on THEM to see your pet. That's one thing I really like about my vet. Even if they are booked completely full on appointments, I can always bring my animals in, drop them off, and they will look at them in between scheduled appointments, treat them, and call me when my critter is ready to be picked up. They'll even kept them overnight if I can't make it back accross town before they close.

·
Super Moderator
21,983 Posts
You probably want to put him on a bland diet, too. That's chicken and boiled rice (or hamburger with the fat rinsed off) in equal portions. Simon recently had to be on a bland diet, and we started with just 1/2 cup of chicken and 1/2 cup rice a few times a day. We increased the amount of food as he was able to tolerate it.

Good luck at the vet. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about, but I always feel better when I can get in to the vet with stuff like that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would also check and make sure there hasn't been a recall on your food. For diarrhea I prefer brown rice but white is fine and organic canned pumpkin. Recently I purchased a product called "Firm Up" which is dehydrated pumpkin so you can mix what you need and it is handy to keep around.

I only feed rice and pumpkin for 24 hours. If he is tolerating that I boil chicken or ground beef and mix in with the rice and pumpkin. If you he goes all day on that I would mix in a small amount of dog food for dinner.

Good luck let us know what they find out about your puppy.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Yeah I couldn't take it anymore and called vet to tell them I wanted him in now. She made an appt. for me an acted like no big deal. Just upsets me that I don't feel like Phoenix health is important to them. Maybe I'm over reacting but I think it's time to change vet!
I think vets see it a lot so it isn't necessarily as alarming to them. When my gal had this last year, my vet did a fecal. But he also told me to not feed her for 24-48 hours to let her intestines rest. And to give her water but in small amounts. Then start on cottage cheese and boiled white rice a few tablespoons at a time, maybe 4x a day. If things are better, then increase the amount etc and work back to kibble or whatever in a few days. Usually it is something they ate.

As for pumpkin, I have had it work to help tighten her up but the one time it got really bad, it seemed to not help and since it also can have the opposite effect, I would go with the fasting for 24+ hours.

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you guys for help on food to help! I took him in(had to stop on way so he could go potty on way to vet because he was wining but we made it to vet! Lol) vet gave him diathal injection and pills for me to give him called metronidazole. 120 dollars later he is happily sleeping...we get fecal results in am. Thank everyone for help! :)

·
Registered
974 Posts
We have had to take Odin to the vet before now with very similar symptoms. Vet tested a stool sample and he had Giardia. Man I think I was more traumatised then Odin because of having to clear up his mess and it smelt...BAD!! We were given the same meds and his symptoms stopped after the first pill!!

I hope everything is back to normal for you soon!!

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Hopefully it was just a hiccup and better in the am. At least with the fecal done, you will know what your up against.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Rice + hamburg and also pumpkin

Hello, I agree with giving small portions at the time of white rice mixed with cooked hamburger (fat drained off).

You could also give him some pumpkin. Pumpkin is readily available at any grocery store in the desert section, as a pie filing. Get the natural one, not the sweetened one.

This helped a lot my old boy when he had bad cases of exploding diarrhea.

I hope you dog get well fast. Did you gave him any thing new to eat like treats or something?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a pavro when I was a pup and this sounds similar. After three different vets I finally found one who was competent. My poo was runny and very stinky.

He put me on a drip to prevent dehydration and with some TLC I recovered in about 5 days. I dropped 50% of my weight and was just a bag of bones.

BUT I recovered and am now a big handsome,Rambunctious, 18month old who weighs around 90lbs..... life is good.

hope your pup gets better --- Skye

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for everyone help it was giardia :/ turns out he got it in the back yard. We had been working on the sprinklers and there was a huge puddle that he played in before we were able to let it dry out to cover... He is now perfect! So happy that I have so many helpful ideas incase he gets runs again!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,416 Posts
Quote from skye01 "I had a pavro when I was a pup and this sounds similar. After three different vets I finally found one who was competent. My poo was runny and very stinky.

He put me on a drip to prevent dehydration and with some TLC I recovered in about 5 days. I dropped 50% of my weight and was just a bag of bones.

BUT I recovered and am now a big handsome,Rambunctious, 18month old who weighs around 90lbs..... life is good.

hope your pup gets better --- Skye"

Wait... there are actual dogs posting to the forum, now???
Notice the origin of the post. There may be a translation difficulty.

I thought it was a refreshing post--and it does drive home that diarrhea and stomach problems involve more than just the bother and mess of clean-up--there is a pup on the other end who often feels miserable.

·
Super Moderator
21,983 Posts
Did you get any results back from the fecal?

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Did you get any results back from the fecal?
They said it was giardia.

Mel--I agree, the translation issue gave me a smile, but so did the reference to actual dogs posting :)

Reactions: melbrod

·
Super Moderator
21,983 Posts
They said it was giardia.

Mel--I agree, the translation issue gave me a smile, but so did the reference to actual dogs posting :)
No idea how I totally missed that!

I've been through giardia with Shanoa. It's a pain, and they can reinfect themselves, too. Hope your pup feels better!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Glad I read through.. I was gonna say Giardia, we've been dealing with it too, I'm actually suspecting he has it AGAIN!!!! If I remember right there is a vaccine for it (I will be checking it to this ASAP) On the vet note...We actually fired our last vet for making us wait $400 later and not able togive results till almost a week later (stupid) we went to someone else and got results in 15 min. I don't know why some vets act like our pets are less important than other family members. (and yes I have human children as well)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts