Votes: 0 0.0%
  • She keeps getting fresh stoll on it causing it to get worse

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Faith's Owner
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!! So I just registered for this and I am desperate for help!! I am at my wits end and am beyond worried on what to do. About 2 1/2 weeks ago my 15 month old dobbie "Faith" began to have uncontrolable diarrhea :( . She was house broken almost immediately as a puppy. So you can imagine my shock when I came home from work and there was a BIG mess by the front door. I let her know that that was not ok and took her outside immediately. The next few days the same thing even to the point where she had crawled under an in table which is half the size of her, and made a mess, and in the process somehow scrapped her nose and there was blood everywhere!! This has gone on for 2 + weeks now! I have checked her food, changed her diet to chicken and rice, starved her for 24 hours, everything I can think of that I have read. At one point her stoll had blood in it along with mucus. The blood is no longer there, but the mucus still is! I have no had to kennel her when I am at work :screama: :( Which I feel terrible for, and she makes a mess in there. She seems fine torward the end of the week, or when I am at home to monitor her. What really worries me is that when I am at home her nose is fine, but when I leave and come home from work here nose is worse and bloody!! ?WHY!!??? She has her vet appointment tomorrow, I hope for some insight there, but until then whatdo I do!!?? She can feel my stress and frustration, she is very emotional and embarrased and I don't want her to start to think it's ok to go in the house becasue she is sick or something! I need somepeace of mind! Please help!:confused:

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Hello All!! So I just registered for this and I am desperate for help!! I am at my wits end and am beyond worried on what to do. About 2 1/2 weeks ago my 15 month old dobbie "Faith" began to have uncontrolable diarrhea :( . She was house broken almost immediately as a puppy. So you can imagine my shock when I came home from work and there was a BIG mess by the front door. I let her know that that was not ok and took her outside immediately. The next few days the same thing even to the point where she had crawled under an in table which is half the size of her, and made a mess, and in the process somehow scrapped her nose and there was blood everywhere!! This has gone on for 2 + weeks now! I have checked her food, changed her diet to chicken and rice, starved her for 24 hours, everything I can think of that I have read. At one point her stoll had blood in it along with mucus. The blood is no longer there, but the mucus still is! I have no had to kennel her when I am at work :screama: :( Which I feel terrible for, and she makes a mess in there. She seems fine torward the end of the week, or when I am at home to monitor her. What really worries me is that when I am at home her nose is fine, but when I leave and come home from work here nose is worse and bloody!! ?WHY!!??? She has her vet appointment tomorrow, I hope for some insight there, but until then whatdo I do!!?? She can feel my stress and frustration, she is very emotional and embarrased and I don't want her to start to think it's ok to go in the house becasue she is sick or something! I need somepeace of mind! Please help!:confused:
Clearly she's ill. And I'd get her in to the vet asap. Could be anything, but I'd definitely get a check for parasites.

Is her nose just rubbed bloody? I had a male that on the few occassions he was sick he would try to cover it with his blankets by using his nose to move the blanket. It'd rub against the crate pan or along the bars and his nose would be a bit bloody. Perhaps add some pumpkin to her food to "bulk" things up?

·
Got mutt?
13,728 Posts
My advise? I would have taken her to the vet when she first began having the diarrhea, and it didn't resolve itself within a couple of BMs. Puppies and diarrhea are not something where a "wait and see" approch is advisable.

If she's survived this long, it's unlikey to be parvo, so it's most likely parasites. Hopefully, your vet can figure out what kind, and provide the appropriate parasitide.

·
joie de vivre
11,241 Posts
Posting polls on internet forums has never made anyone's dog better.

TAKE HER TO THE VET.

How do some people not know this is the answer? Seriously?

OP - I'd love to give you the benefit of the doubt except you say this has been going on for 2 weeks. Wow.

·
Faith's Owner
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I Know I'm sorry!

Thank you I realize that I should have taken her a while back, unfortunately I did not have the money or the means of getting her there. Trust me I FELL terrible. I did try the pumpkin, worked but only for so long. If I could have gotten her to the vet any sooner I would have trust me! I LOVE HER SOOO MUCH!!! I feel so bad for her! I only posted a poll casue I didn;t know what I was doing at first. LOL. Then I saw what it was after I saved it. Anyways thanks for the nose advice, makes sense. It's what I figured but wanted to make sure I wasn't overloooking anyting.

·
Banned
422 Posts
I honestly hate these threads. You know the answer is going to the vet.

Then you get criticized, the we get the I don't have any money response.

If you can't afford the vet you can't afford the dog.

The pattern of irresponsibility is quite noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
In the interests of the puppy girl, make sure the vet checks for coccidia, and does the snap test for giardia too. It may be more than just worms.

Please do not just buy OTC wormer and try to do it yourself.

Your girl sounds seriously infested with something.

Also, you should no more be scolding her for being ill than...um, it's so wrong, I really got nothin'. Just don't punish her for what she cannot help.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is going to sound rude no matter how I put it so I'm just going to say it.

This is not directed at the Original Poster personally, but at everyone who puts up threads like this. I haven't been on this board long but I am done reading these types of threads after this.

I have had many kids in my long life, and all have had 4 legs.

I go without before my kids do. Period.

I have had kids during good times and rough times, and never once has a single one of them gone without anything. Ever.

Maybe someone could have skipped a few meals of their own and had the money to care for a pup that their darn lucky is still alive? Maybe skipped buying a few packs of cigarettes? Maybe skipped buying that last case of Bud Light? Maybe skipped going out with friends last weekend? Maybe skipped paying one of your monthly bills this month?

If someone can't afford an ER trip or anything better than "Old Roy" maybe they should switch to goldfish.

And in the time it takes people to type out on the internet these types of "help me" threads they could have been 1/2 way to an ER vet.

I personally can not fathom having a sick kid and taking the time to sit at a computer or take the time typing on a smart phone instead of getting my butt in gear and addressing the immediate obvious problem at hand.

And my apologies for shouting, but just so this is crystal clear: THIS POST IS NOT DIRECTED AT FAITH'S OWNER PERSONALLY, BUT AT ALL THESE "HELP ME THREADS" THAT ARE POSTED BEFORE GETTING A VETS OPINION OF THE SITUATION.

I’m Done, I’m Gone, Sorry ..............

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
GBB, do not apologize for your post, it is very well said (imo). I've "quoted" what I thought was the most important part but I now realize that's most of your original post.

I have had kids during good times and rough times, and never once has a single one of them gone without anything. Ever.

Maybe someone could have skipped a few meals of their own and had the money to care for a pup that their darn lucky is still alive? Maybe skipped buying a few packs of cigarettes? Maybe skipped buying that last case of Bud Light? Maybe skipped going out with friends last weekend? Maybe skipped paying one of your monthly bills this month?

If someone can't afford an ER trip or anything better than "Old Roy" maybe they should switch to goldfish.

And in the time it takes people to type out on the internet these types of "help me" threads they could have been 1/2 way to an ER vet.
I felt the need for Dreizehn to go to the ER vet once. It turns out that it wasn't an emergency... it wasn't anything. But I was super worried due to how he was acting. I didn't wait to see. I didn't sit down to type out a thread and wait for responses (which is why you won't see a thread about it in my post history). I took him to the e-vet at midnight even though, as a student, it's not something that I could really afford to pay for. He is my dog. He cannot speak to me and tell me what's wrong so he relies on me to make the right choices for him - so I did even though it was not the easiest choice for me.

When you get a dog you take over responsibility for another living being and you need to step up or find a better home for the creature (dog, cat, horse, gerbil, child, etc).

Edit:
Also, if your dog "messes" in the house while you are gone, punishing her when you come home is accomplishing NOTHING positive. The fact that your poor dog is now crawling under the table means that she fears you. You came home and punished her and she linked the punishment with you coming home, not with the mess. Get your dog to the vet, pay for meds if need be, get her on a better food, and then read up on basic dog training (especially positive dog training). You can find plenty of good training information on this site or on other websites for free.

Also, as RFR said, don't punish your poor dog for being ill. My dog recently had horribly loose stool in the back seat of my car as we were making a 4 hour car trip. I had missread his signs and so he basically exploded in my car. Did I punish him? No... but you can sure as heck bet that I was super upset. It was gross and it smelled horrible and I still had an hour to drive but it wasn't his fault. Dogs are less in control than people when they get sick.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Just one aside that hasn't been mentioned: quit crating her for this. Babygate her into an area that is easy to clean, and allow her to keep herself away from her own waste. It must be miserable for an animal to not be able to escape from feces, and you will end up making her crate the worst place ever... this is not what you want to do. I found this comment to be incomprehensible: "she is very emotional and embarrased and I don't want her to start to think it's ok to go in the house becasue she is sick or something!" You maybe might want to start thinking about this from your poor dog's point of view...

I find it interesting that she has a greater issue following the weekends than toward the ends of the weeks. This makes me think that possible something happens on the weekend which sets this off... is her diet different on the weekend? It also makes me wonder if there is a stress componant, and she is having difficulty dealing with your absence... home for the weekend, and then a return to your leaving during the day. It is not impossible that this is all stress, and that she is harming herself (nose) attempting to escape which is pretty typical of anxiety.

I feel very badly for your dog, and I hope you become smart enough and compassionate enough to deal with her appropriately instead of making everything worse... which I strongly suspect you are doing.

·
Pro Snake Wiggler
2,281 Posts
This is going to sound rude no matter how I put it so I'm just going to say it.

This is not directed at the Original Poster personally, but at everyone who puts up threads like this. I haven't been on this board long but I am done reading these types of threads after this.

I have had many kids in my long life, and all have had 4 legs.

I personally can not fathom having a sick kid and taking the time to sit at a computer or take the time typing on a smart phone instead of getting my butt in gear and addressing the immediate obvious problem at hand.

And my apologies for shouting, but just so this is crystal clear: THIS POST IS NOT DIRECTED AT FAITH'S OWNER PERSONALLY, BUT AT ALL THESE "HELP ME THREADS" THAT ARE POSTED BEFORE GETTING A VETS OPINION OF THE SITUATION.

I’m Done, I’m Gone, Sorry ..............
I've seen this in parents that don't have health insurance... they prefer to ask WebMD instead of going to the doctor in the first place. Don't apologize for your post, it's something that needs to be posted.

I'm a poor college student which is why I don't have "my dog" yet. BUT there were times last year where I needed to go without in order to take Saffron (my cat) to the vet (ear infections :rolleyesww: ) or to buy my snake some food or to get training supplies for one of the family dogs. People kept asking me why, but here's the thing. Even at my worst, I have a family I can visit and eat dinner with. I can dumpster dive or walk down to the food bank. I can bike instead of spend money on the bus passes. I have health insurance so I can go to the doctor with a rather minimal copay, and if I have to deal with a sinus infection for an additional week then I guess I'll deal with it. I can turn off my Netflix and my Comcast for a month. My animals cannot do that. I pay for them first, myself second.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I was going to write something then I chose not to because I'm sick and pretty sure it would've just come out very nasty so I will just say this...

Please get your dog to the vet now. I get being broke but I'm sure there's something in your house you don't need that you can sell, pawn, or something. I'm not made of money and yet my puppy has been to the vet as soon as something is wrong with him. I'm pretty sure my vet thinks I'm nuts because I am overly cautious when it comes to him and yes I'll post about it here AFTER making an appointment or AFTER having already gone to the vet. Posting on a forum won't make your puppy better. Please please just get her to the vet before she gets worse.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
I need somepeace of mind! Please help!:confused:
You should have taken her the vet IMMEDIATELY.

Your financial situation is your own. Borrow, work out a payment plan with the vet or sell something.

You need peace of mind?......your dog needed a vet when she first got sick. Perhaps you should consider returning her to her breeder because from what you posted you don't seem to be in a position to afford her. Dobes are notorious for having health problems and are an expensive breed to own and care for.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
poor girl.

her nose is probably all scraped up because she tried to 'cover' her runny poops.

they hate to have to dirty their homes, they know they aren't supposed too, but when the cramping pangs of diarrhea stike......................what are they to do.

poor girl.

please let us know how the Vet visit goes.

Hugz to Faith!

·
Banned
919 Posts
Everyone up there is correct you should take the dog to the vet.
Sounds like a bacterial belly problem to me.
Does she chew wooden things?
Sticks?
Does she have access to sticks and wood to chew on the weekends?
She can have wood/bark 'crunchings' in her belly, this produces the symptoms you are describing.

It happened to Becca a few times, some dogs chew wood and spit it out some eat the 'crunchings'.
I have literally had to go through my garden, picking up ALL the deadfall to stop this happening.

I agree with the sentiments of the people above entirely but I think some positive advice as to how your dog would be usefull so I won't bother repeating what they have said.

Reactions: dobedream

·
joie de vivre
11,241 Posts
Hoping for an update on the puppy...did you take her to the vet?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts