Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a female doberman that is 8 1/2, she will be 9 in september. She has always been in good health but in the last week or so she has lost a ton of weight. She is down to 46.5lbs from a little over 60 normal. I took her to the vet and there are no heart murmurs, no adventitious lung sounds, no lumps in her belly, and her teeth look great. The vet couldnt even believe she is as old as she is. She is still hyper and energetic like always. She just doesnt seem to have the appetite anymore. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can use to fatten her back up?

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
were any blood tests done to check on kidney, liver, etc.?

did know a dobie girl years ago who wasted away..turned out it was a heart issue.

Hope your Vet can figure out what is wrong with her.

not eating/no appetite in an older dog is a symptom something is seriously wrong.

Hugz to Chevy.

·
Got mutt?
13,842 Posts
Did you have a blood panel done? That's what I would start with.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Our dog eat if they are healthy and we worry when they don't. When my dog was sick I fed BillJac and it worked for her. Sounds like something else might be wrong and your decision to find out by doing more tesst and taking her back to the vet. I think I'd take her back and let them see her again.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
At the very least, she needs a full blood panel and a holter done. Thats a lot of weight to drop off so quickly. You might google Satin Balls and try them.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks yall. They just did tests for heartworms and a stool sample for any other kind of worm, even though she is on Heartguard. The vet just used a stethoscope to listen to her heart. The vet wanted to give her a week or so with a diet change to see if that would help with the weight. I am set to take her back and have to reweighted in a couple days. I have started adding some canned food to her diet to see if that helps. If she hasnt gained any weight the vet is going to draw some blood for tests. I was worried that now she is under the 51lb minimum for her heartguard pills, but the vet doesnt seem to be worried about it.

Reactions: Sherryh

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
If it were one of my girls I'd have a full blood panel and thyroid testing done immediately.

Keep us posted.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,451 Posts
Is she eating any more with the change in food? Even if you can't see a weight change in just a few days, you should be able to see an appetite change.

I personally would hate to let her get any thinner, because if she is really underweight it will affect how well she can fight off whatever is going on. I think I would call the vet, give them her current weight (I'm assuming there has been no gain), a report on her appetite since changing the food and ask if further testing could be done sooner rather than later.

But I'm not a vet and am something of a mother hen.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm planning to take her back to the vet on Friday and have her weighed again. She seems to like the canned food that I added, probably because it is like a treat since she was always on dry food before. I will have them draw some blood for tests when i go.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Glad to hear she is going back in Friday. What about her bowel movements. What color and consistency are they. You might as well run a test on the pancreas, too. It should only be another thirty dollars. About that dog food, get a high quality allmeat or meat veggie mix like Solid Gold or similar as she needs good nutrition going in to keep her from loosing ground. What dog kibble are you feeding? I will have to look as there has been some problems with excess vit D which can get serious. Ask your vet if he knows about it and to find out before Friday if he doesnt know.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
she is thin..........though still has a nice shiny coat..........

is she drinking way more water than usual?

any other symptoms at all?

Hugz to Chevy!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah she has been drinking a lot of water lately and I know that can be a symptom of diabetes, right?

Yeah, her coat and teeth and everything still look great, which is why the vet was thinking maybe I should just try a diet change first.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
full liver panel bloodwork needed IMHO ASAP.
fingers crossed and prayers for your girl.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts