Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my little casilde, (4month black and tan beautiful girl dobe)

when i take her to dog parks and another dog so much as looks at her she litterally screams loudly as if she is being beaten, then cowers behind me. after warming up to other doggs she is fine and plays but this seems to be a habit for this was her 2nd visit to the park she is shy of people too. she is 4 months old and her parents were wonderful beautiful Dobe's with awsome temperments.

she is barely 4 months old how many of you out there have expierenced this and how is it fixable? i want her to be loving and playful and at the same time brave and protective...not cowardly and shy, she wont step 5 feet away from me???

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Welcome to DT. I think going to the dog park at that age is alittle overwhelming for them. Dog Parks in our area don't allow dogs under 6 months old. I would try to find a puppy kindergarten class for her. She would be around dogs her own age in a structured environment. Going to a local Petsmart might be an option for socializing too.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Awww bless her! She is still only a baby and is probably very overwhelmed by everything at the moment. I think Kratty's suggestion of a puppy class would help her out no end. I am sure she will be fine!

I have to say that Tia (nearly a year old) still very much stays close to me, which I love!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Kratty has some good advice. Dog Parks are not the end all. A lot of people here like them-I personally don`t and have never used one.
Sounds like she needs some confidence building. (she may be in a fear faze also) OB classes a must. Take her everywhere. Stay close, take treats, have anyone that is interested in petting her offer her treats. (Petsmart-school, playgrounds. Don`t force her. Let her observe from a distance at first. Are you close to your breeder or one of her litter mates--perhaps they could get together for a play session.
Also not a lot of people crowding her. One at a time is best--any neighbor kids. Remember the treats. I would always carry them with me--you never know when an oportunity will arrise.
Have fun and enjoy her. :)

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I also had some other confidence builders. (thoughts for puppies--and maybe you are already doing this) I never yell at, scold, say no, stamp my feet at puppies for undesireable acts. I want them to be secure in their world. No`s can come later. I believe in redirecting.
If puppy is doing something undesireable, I redirect them. Example-running around with your shoe-give them a puppy toy. Zoomies in the house and you don`t like--take puppy outside--play fetch. If pottying in the house is a problem--you are not watching close enough and are giving puppy too much free time. I never scolded for that either. Our house was a calm reassuring place for puppy. If you can do this--they blossom into the dog that you want.
Also any fear of say vacuum, loud noises, a dropped plate--I never coddled I just continue to vacuum and or clean up mess.
These were just some other thoughts I had. Screaming from puppy I would ignore, but don`t put puppy in a situation where you think this will happen either.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you guys so much!
my puppy casilde is my pride and joy! next to my motorcycle lol
and i want her to have the best life with all the positive advantages possible.
I do love that she loves me so much that she wont leave my side, my little Dachsund ignores me totally and is a momma's boy (to my wife)
but casilde is a daddies girl and it tears me up to see her cry or scared, she just barely turned 4 months old 2 days ago so i realize she is just a baby, i feel bad when i scold her which i actually do lovingly, if thats possible.
i think i will try the kinder gentle approach.

she is enrolled in a puppy manners class but unfortunately there are only 3 puppies total in this class, not a whole lot of other little ones fo her to play with.

she really loves our little dachsund he is 11 months old and she plays rough with him and those needle like baby dobie teeth do a number on little sprocket (dachsund) but at night i catch them snuggled up togehter like a hallmark card =)

i will lay off "forcing" her to be social and bring it on gradually at her will, i want her to grow up to be a brave loyal loving yet protective Doberman.

thank you for your input everyone

p.s. any Dobie advice will be much appreciated

here is casilde and sprocket

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Well keep in mind socialing is just not for dog to dog interactions. Its for dog to "Your World" interactions. I look for any opportunity to introduce them to all parts of my lifes activities. Even if its just hanging outside a store while the Mrs is in shopping, we do it. Exposing them to as many different things and people is the key. One of the goals in my puppy class homework, was to take them to atleast fifty different places and have them meet atleast a hundred people. Alittle excessive, but once you have her in public, people can not resist to come meet them.

I also learned the hard way, that they do not need to meet every dog they see out. I prefer a more controlled meeting place than strange dogs on the streets.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Rock is shy of people and we are working on it hard. I take him out as much as I can. Pet stores, brother's house, downtown. The best thing you can do in my opinion is get your puppy into classes. They are great for socializing not only with other dogs but with people too.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Puppy classes really helped with Bumpy. He too screamed bloody murder the first time at dog park (that changed too quickly) but once, in my backyard saw a stray cat and ran in as if someone was killing him screaming like I have never heard a dog scream. (He was about 3-4 months old I believe). I socialized him intensely, had him go everywhere and meet everyone I could think of. We had everyone we knew come by the house at some point and I truly believe it has paid off. He has never been shy with anyone (except a baby once and someone with a hood on once) and is friendly beyond belief with people.

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
the behavior you puppy displays at the dog park is her way of saying "I'm just a baby and I'm afraid of you ......please don't hurt me"

IMHO, she is too young for the dog park. The puppy class is a great idea as is just taking her out and about. I know of people who will sit in front of a grocery store and ask people to treat their Dobe puppy ...........bring your own treats :)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
We go to one of our local dog parks and see dogs of all ages who are shy their first couple of visits. We started taking our Jada to the park around 5 months. We waited until she had had all of her shots and her ears were done posting. She too was very shy with other dogs. She was very playful with out Titus however if another dog came up to her she would let out a little holler. She is 10 months old now and is friendly with every dog that she sees. She is also socialized with TONS of people. I don't think that there is anything wrong with giving her a little more time before you take her back however I would find other ways to socialize her.

Welcome to the forum. :)

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I agree with velmadobe - I wouldn't recommend a dog park for a pup that young. A young puppy is often not yet protected against parvo. I would recommend keeping a young pup away from any high dog traffic areas until as least a few weeks after they have finished their puppy series of vaccines. We had 2 parvo cases this spring and both had been to petsmart about a week beforehand. I would be wary of any place offering puppy socialization classes that doesn't ask you about your pup's vaccinations. If they aren't asking you, they probably aren't asking anyone else either. Socialization is very important, but not worth the risk of parvo (deadly intestinal virus that dobes, rotts and pit bulls seem to be especially at risk for).
Enjoy your new puppy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thank you all for the great advice, its nice to know that my little silde is displaying normal puppy behavior so i will indeed work with her at her pace and i believe we have one last trip to the vet for her vaccines.

on a different note.
does any one know why some vets just wrap the ears up with internal ear forms?

and others put those casts that brace from ear to ear for support?

is one way better than the other? i was told only east coast vets do the brace support from ear to ear?

when unwrapped casilde's ears are incredible so i assume our vets way is decent.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Petey at that age was terrified of other dogs. We didn't allow other dogs to run up to him, it took about 6 weeks of constantly walking him near other dogs and a good puppy class for him to be fine with all dogs. I wouldn't start out at a dog park, go to a puppy class or just walk her near dogs that are all on a leash, don't allow them to run up to her and scare her, you could cause long term problems. Now Petey runs off lead with a huge group of dogs and isn't afraid of anyone.

Carol

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I got Rudi as a rescue when he was about 2 1/2. I didn't really start taking him to a dog park until he was about 3 1/2. We have only been to a dog park probably under 10 times. I socialize him moreso volunteering at the Dobie rescue and events, with my parents neighborhood dogs taking him to places I know there will be alot of people. Rudi is a lover, not a fighter and can be submissive around other dogs (big and small). When we first get to the dog park, he kinda sticks by me to assess the situation. He stands around with perky ears watching everything (and slobbering, yuk!!). Finally after about 30 minutes, he might join in on a little chase. He needs some egging on even with my parents schitzu-poo at their house.
Every dog is different, she is a baby and I think she needs some confidence builders. Puppy class would be very beneficial for her. It will help her not only in obedience, but with her bond with you and will help her create bonds with other pups her age.
Rudi and I completed intermediate obedience and passed his CGC this spring. Going thru that helped his confidence immensely. He enjoys working everyday on his bedience skills and I think we are ready for agility class, next.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts