Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Dobie Lover
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking for an 8-10 week old puppy and my uncle brought me one from Sth America last Monday. I just dropped him off to get his ears cropped since the vet said it was better to get it done between 7-9 weeks. He turned 8 weeks last Friday.

The vet said he had a bit of a low ear set and a roundish hound head with that bump in the middle otherwise a good looking healthy puppy. He was 15.5 lbs at exactly 8 weeks old.

We got him from a breeder that my family had gotten nice Dobies before but it was picked for me and brought here. All his health certificates and shots are in order.

He's staying at the vet overnight. He was recommended by my original vet so I hope he's good at ear cropping. I took him a picture so he could see the type of crop I wanted which is closer to a show crop. I just hope it's not too long for his head.

I'll pick him up tomorrow AM so I'm a bit anxious to see what he looks like. I've seen some pretty bad crops on Dobies from local Vets so there's always a bit of nervousness until you see him but he seems knowledgeable and experienced.

The puppy seems very smart, only cried the first night in his crate, always pees and poops outside except for the first night and always comes when I call him even when though he's only been with us for a few days...he's very well behaved for a little guy.

I wanted to ask you guys about his head...it seems a bit small and rounded to me. Is that something that changes as he gets older or he just looks that way because his ears are pre-cropped ? I'll post a couple of pictures so you can see what I'm referring to...

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
On phone, so I cant see the details that well at all, but if you are not going to show him, dont worry so much. He is going to go through a lot of changes between now and maturity and some of them are not going to be very pretty.:) Plus, no dog is perfect. His head is what it is and nothing, including worrying, is going to change it. My experience has been, what you see at 8 wks and 3 months is going to be what you get at maturity. I agree, his head looks a little small in the last picture.He looks like a lovely boy and his personality to die for. Enjoy your new boy and help him to be the best dog he can be.///// Who is the cropping vet?

·
Dobie Lover
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On phone, so I cant see the details that well at all, but if you are not going to show him, dont worry so much. He is going to go through a lot of changes between now and maturity and some of them are not going to be very pretty.:) Plus, no dog is perfect. His head is what it is and nothing, including worrying, is going to change it. My experience has been, what you see at 8 wks and 3 months is going to be what you get at maturity. I agree, his head looks a little small in the last picture.He looks like a lovely boy and his personality to die for. Enjoy your new boy and help him to be the best dog he can be.///// Who is the cropping vet?
It's Dr Stechszhulte in Forest Hills Animal Hospital...

·
Dobie Lover
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A low ear set isn't desirable, but I don't think you could call it not normal. To me, it's a very minor cosmetic issue.

I really don't think his head looks small.

I just don't know how much "low ear set" is too low. Most puppies I've seen have a bit of a round head at this age (8 weeks) and his ears go up a bit when he's at attention so I'm just not sure. I only ask cause the vet mentioned it, of course I love him and he's part of the family no matter what.

He also said to get him off Blue Buffalo because there was a recall a year ago and to put him on Purina Pro Plan. He doesn't like those gourmet food companies that much I guess. But I thought BB was better than Purina...

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
A lot of people on this forum use the Purina Pro Plan performance or salmon and rice maybe some of the others but those are the two I've seen the most. I'm actually currently transitioning Whiskey off ToTW which he's never done very well on to the Salmon and rice.

·
Dobie Lover
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A lot of people on this forum use the Purina Pro Plan performance or salmon and rice maybe some of the others but those are the two I've seen the most. I'm actually currently transitioning Whiskey off ToTW which he's never done very well on to the Salmon and rice.
I thought the Purina had too much grain when I read the ingredients...

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I think the problem with BB was it took them so long to admit anything was wrong with the food while dogs were getting seriously ill eating it. Lots of breeders use Purina Pro Plan as dobermans seem to do well on it. I would recommend Acana, Orijen or Innova. Lots of people have raised their pups on Innova Large Breed Puppy. Whatever you try start out with a small bag till you see if the food is going to agree with him.

·
Dobie Lover
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think the problem with BB was it took them so long to admit anything was wrong with the food while dogs were getting seriously ill eating it. Lots of breeders use Purina Pro Plan as dobermans seem to do well on it. I would recommend Acana, Orijen or Innova. Lots of people have raised their pups on Innova Large Breed Puppy. Whatever you try start out with a small bag till you see if the food is going to agree with him.
I'll try Innova see how he likes it...

1 - 20 of 176 Posts