Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved into a new apartment, and apparently the tenants before me had a pet. I think the landlord tried cleaning the carpet to remove the urine odor before I moved in. I didn’t notice it before, but the smell is now getting worse. I’ve tried a few products and nothing seems to work in getting rid of the smell. Does anyone know products that will get rid of the smell for good? I’ve looked into Store Bought Cleaners, Pet Supply, and even Replacing My Carpets. Any suggestions?

Favorite Quote:
"I do not want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well." -Diane Ackerman

·
Registered
74 Posts
Our apartments carpet smelled as well. We tried the vacuum up odor removers and carpet cleaners and all those did was cover up the smell for a few days. What worked for us was a Rug Doctor (rented from most grocery and hardware stores) using a 25% solution of plain white vinegar with HOT water instead of the carpet shampoo and letting that dry for a day or so and then spreading baking soda all over the carpet (be generous) and then vacuuming that up. Got rid of the smells for good. It did smell of vinegar for that first day but the baking soda got rid of that too. Good luck!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I agree with the above poster, the rentals work really well but their may be a cheaper alternative to them. I have used natures miracle before, but the place wasn't terrible smelling. I did take a black light to identify the problem areas.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
If you can find the spots you can inject Nature's Miracle or Odoban into the area. I have used a hypodermic needle to get into the pad too. The pad is where the urine sinks to and holds the odor.

I bought a house 4 years ago and the owners had obviously covered up the smell. Before I moved my things in, I had a company come clean the carpets. It stunk to high heaven after they were done.The carpet guy had a laser thingy that could identify where the spots were. It was disgusting. His laser thingy beeped all over the place. 2 bedrooms and a hallway.

I ended up ripping all the carpet and padding up and installing laminate.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/Doberman4/Dirtycarpet2003.jpg

So, I guess it depends on how many spots there are. If it looks like the picture, your landlord should take responsibility and replace it.

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
I would make the landlord 'fix it' lest you be accused of fouling the carpets and it be withheld from your deposit. Unfortunately steam cleaning doesn't 'clean' dog pee if indeed that is what it was. And it may be too late. You can try a dry cleaning product called "Capture" -there is a standard carpet cleaning Capture and they make a pet smell product as well. You spray on a prep spray, then sprinkle on the powder, brush it in, let it dry, then vacuum it up. Worth a try.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I agree with DR.....contact the landlord and have them send a carpet cleaning crew out to the the smell out. You shouldn't have to pay for it! Call the landlord and see if they will let you do the cleaninging and knock that off next month's rent (keep receipts for the shampooer rental, soap, etc.) OR they can send someone out to clean.

You want to have on record that the carpets were complained about on "this" date so when you move out they don't blame you and charge you for new carpets.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
You have been given great suggestions already but I also wanted to vouch for Nature's Miracle if you can locate the spots. It's great stuff!

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Wow...I seem to have several typos in my response and now it's too late to edit. Sorry about that!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts