Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

My name is Bryan and I have an 8 week old fawn dobie named Ace. Not my first dog but my first Doberman. Had a few friends with dobies and my significant other loves them. Ace comes from Virginia and is super playful which also brings forward a lot of puppy challenges. He starts boarding for foundation work with the anticipation of competing in Schutzhund.

I will have tons of questions and look forward to getting to know everyone!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Welcome from Colorado!

Reactions: LadyDi

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
24,820 Posts
Hi! Welcome to DT from Colorado!

We'd love to see some pictures of your new pup.

I don't understand this sentence though
"He starts boarding for foundation work with the anticipation of competing in Schutzhund." Are you boarding him somewhere right now for training?

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
I hope I misunderstood the business about boarding him to start his training in Schutzhundt. I don't think it makes any difference what you are training your dog for with about 60 years experience with Dobes and training--there is no better way to bond with and learn all about your dog than to do the training yourself.

Frankly most dog training involves training OWNERS how to train dogs.

But good luck and welcome from Portland, Oregon (that's the left hand one).

dobebug

·
Super Moderator
21,126 Posts
Welcome.

I, too, am generally not a fan of board and train. I've seen much more bad than good in them. Hopefully we'll hear some more details. Have you competed in IGP (the new name of Schutzhund) before? It's a sport that I admire a lot and I know I don't have the time and dedication to pursue it...it sure seems to be a "lifestyle!"

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
My first Doberman was also a fawn boy :2smile:
The thing to think about with a board and train is that the dog and his handler(s) there form a great bond, and know how to work well together. That doesn't translate over to you and the dog, though. You'll need to have the training, need to learn his mannerisms when he's working so you know how to respond when he does x/y/z, etc. Will he come home with manners? Sure. But the real connection that comes from training will be with the people he learned from. Just food for thought.

Good luck with your pup!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My first Doberman was also a fawn boy :2smile:
The thing to think about with a board and train is that the dog and his handler(s) there form a great bond, and know how to work well together. That doesn't translate over to you and the dog, though. You'll need to have the training, need to learn his mannerisms when he's working so you know how to respond when he does x/y/z, etc. Will he come home with manners? Sure. But the real connection that comes from training will be with the people he learned from. Just food for thought.

Good luck with your pup!

Thank you for the welcoming and feedback. The boarding is something I have done with various dogs I have had and had great success. The transfer is there as long as the right steps are taken. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts