Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off before i share what happened today with my GF, her Chihuahua, Gunner and myself i wanna show u some pics

Well anyways, i was walking Gunner and my GF was walking her 4month old itty bitty Chihuahua that weighs 1lb and 6ounces. Gunner and Honey(the Chi) are friends, well Tiffany wanted to go see this little pomeranian this guy was walking so we walked over there, and when we got there, these kids let their dog out of the house, well that dog (dont know what kind of breed, some kind of mutt) it looked like half scottie and half something bigger. Well that dog started trying to attack that guys Pom, he was swinging it around in circles by the leash trying to get it away. This whole time Gunner is just sitting there not moving. All of a sudden that dog darts over to honey(the chi) and starts trying to bite her, well she starts crying bloody murder, they go under my GF's legs and she starts screaming, well as soon as Honey had started yelping Gunner stood up and started this thunder rolling growl that shook the leash. Well i thought Honey was getting eaten alive and i was scared for me Gf......so... I dropped the leash, Gunner ran strait over to that dog and stood above him for half a second, growled and put his whole mouth over that dogs neck and threw him, then, they started scrapping, I grabbed the leash, and GUnner was getting the best of that dog, then they came to a stand still and the woman ran out and picked up her dog and never said a word. I was proud i dont care if u say what i did was wrong, he probably saved Honeys little life. The woman came out as we were walking away and asked if Honey was ok, and she was but her being a CHi, she was shaking like crazy....but thats the story

·
Registered
365 Posts
Isn't Gunner a gorgeous big boy? I really like the one of him sitting nice and tall beside the car. Sitting there so innocently.:tongue23:

It's always unfortunate when a larger dog is having a bit of a biff with a small dog. No matter who started it, you know the big guy is always going to cop most of the blame. Particularly, when there's a dobe involved. Well at least you know that Gunner does defend! The little mutt probably has some sort of fear aggression with bigger dogs.

My trainer told me that when dogs fight, they're pretty similar to humans. Lots of air swings to start with, before anything really connects. Really if Gunner had of been totally serious, the end result would have been quite different. It's good that you could get hold of his leash. I've been told if this happens, just keep a firm hold, and start walking straight out from the fight. If the dog is wearing a prong collar, he/she should just reverse out. Haven't had to test this theory yet, I may add.

Hope Honey doesn't end up with any fear related problems after her little episode.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Wow what an intresting walk! I have always heard you are suppose to drop the leash no matter what. That way your dog can protect it's self instead of you trying to pull your dog away. The other dog would have an unfair advantage!

I don't know if it is right, but I would have done the same thing in your shoes. Except I would have gone off on the woman with the dog that started attacking the little ones. Just please make sure that you check Gunner and Honey over really good for bite marks. Also please make sure that you report what has happened. This may have happened before and no one knows about it because it goes un-reported.

I love the pictures. Gunner looks so wonderful and handsome. Thank you for sharing.

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Man Gunner is a good looking Boy!

Dont ya just hate irresponsible pet owners letting their dogs out off-leash? I think in that situation I may have done the same thing.

I will be 100% honest, if an agressive dog come looking to pick a fight with my dog the first thing I would do is protect my dog. I would kick that dog under the chops as hard as I could, if he didnt back down then my last choice would be to let the dogs fight. But even if your dog wins a dog fight it will most likely leave a deep lasting impression on your dog and create dog on dog agression problems in the future. :( So if at all possible do everything you can not to allow your dog to fight....I know that sometimes it may be unavoidable. :(

Last tip - if you ever have to break up a dog fight be very careful, in the heat of the moment even your own dog can bite "YOU" bad. Best way to break up a dog fight is with 2 people each person grabbing the back legs of the dog and seperating them as you turn the dog in circles. By grabbing the rear legs you are less likely to get bit, by turning them in circles while backing away they will have to keep moving and will not have time to reach back and snap at you. If you only have 1 person the chances of breaking up a serious dog fight is very slimm and most likely you will be bitten. :(

TD

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx for the compliments guys, and i just really felt Honeys life was in danger and he was really trying to take charge, 5minutes prior to that he was playing with some ppls Jack Russel and their 6month old Dobe, never a growl but as soon as he thought, Me or Tifffany or Honey was in Danger he took charge

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I would have tried to kick the crap out of that dog first. Cole was attacked by a JRT when he was 5 months old and I tried to choke him to make him let go of his neck. I hate loose dogs!
Btw, take a link or 2 out of that pinch collar. It should be sitting up high right behind his ears to avoid damaging his neck.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CoAl-s-Mom said:
I would have tried to kick the crap out of that dog first. Cole was attacked by a JRT when he was 5 months old and I tried to choke him to make him let go of his neck. I hate loose dogs!
Btw, take a link or 2 out of that pinch collar. It should be sitting up high right behind his ears to avoid damaging his neck.

alright appreciate the advice.

Ya i wouldve done something to the dog but it happened so fast ya know. And i didnt want Honey and much less any ppl gettin bitten so i let Gunny handle it

·
Registered
281 Posts
wow gunner is a stunner! Luckily harveys never been in a dog fight ..thank god as i think it would scare the crap out of him (and me!) it must be great to know gunners their when you need him :D

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya, hes always been very confident, never over aggressive. He just had the courage to take charge

·
Registered
460 Posts
I had to kick a Boxer the other day. It was running loose and kept charging at Ava, the owner was no where to be found so.....

People who let their dogs run free are a huge pet peeve of mine for all the reasons that have been mentioned in this thread.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea i saw that dog again today while i was walking little Daisy, and i thought it was gonna come out of the backyard, and Daisy is way too young and innocent to fight, so i was ready to either kick or stab that damn dog

1 - 12 of 12 Posts