Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've not written much about Roxy but here is a brief bio. Roxy was put in rescue when she was 9 months old. I adopted her 6/10/06 and she had her first birthday with us on 7/8/06. Before going into rescue she was in an abusive home with 4 kids and had never been socialized. Two days after we got her I got the broom out of my closet and the poor baby just about had a stroke, dropping to the floor and cringing. She was also scared to death of kids, can you blame her? The first time she saw a toddler she started backing up and barking. Well she has made remarkable progress. Luckily I'm in several dog organizations that let me bring her out for socialization. You can't just go up to strangers with a dobe that you are unsure of things from her past and expect them to pet her when your not really sure how she will react. Thank heavens I've trained dogs for over 20 yrs. and I am pretty good at reading them. She gets a lot of confidence from Gaston, as nothing bothers him.After I worked with her with my dog groups we started going on very long walks at least 3 times a week with a friend and her borzois. We go through a major park in downtown Savannah and then all the way to River St. Theses places have lots of people and at first she was petrefied. She is still very unsure of strange dogs but hopefully that will also come around . Well she now loves meeting people and she actually went up to a baby stroller and kissed the toddler. I'll have to admit I was saying to myself,please don't eat this childs face off! I'll post a picture of her seeing this little girl out of her stroller at the end of this. The other picture is her standing with her borzoi buddies while I take their picture. I'll also post pictures of her playing with Gaston on future posts. Gaston needed a buddy to run and blast with and I thought rescue was the way to go and boy am I glad I did. She is such a sweetheart and she and Gaston are best buds.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Good on you for taking on a rescue,it can be a bit of a gamble so it's always great to hear when it pays off big time like it has for you.I am of the opinion that dobies like to be in pairs anyway,somehow i ended up with 2 pairs!!!
:help_up_2 :help_up_2 :help_up_2 :largegr:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Accept Roxy into his home, you've got to be kidding. He was crazy about her from the very first time he saw her!!!! He about drove her nuts chasing her around playing.Here is are some pictures I took that first night. I couldn't beleive I told them to stay for the pictures with them laying and looking at each other and that's just what they did!!! They have loved each other from the very start!!!!

·
4,376 Posts
Whatever you are doing with your pics on photobucket they are not showing up here for some reason,

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The birthday pictures showed up. I did the same thing with the last ones. I'll try again.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gaston & Roxy the day they met.

These are the pictures I tried posting earlier. Let me know if they work this time.

·
4,376 Posts
Thats better now i see 2 beautiful doberkids !!! Great.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Beautiful pics, LTH...what a pair! Wonder if the "Garfield" sheet helped get them all wound up...HAHA! Very, very nice looking kids you got there.

·
4,376 Posts
Yeah the pics have gone again for some reason!!!

·
4,376 Posts
People sometimes have problems with photobucket,if you post them in the members gallery on here it is much better for adding them to threads.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Thanx, LTH. I asked the question because my (our) next Doberkid will be a rescue. Java doesn't seem to have any issues with me petting other dogs @ the dog park, although there was a dog who did the 'doberflop' into my lap - when she saw that I was giving this dog affection she waltzed over and tried to nudge the other dog out of my lap. She wasn't aggressive - no growling or teeth baring - it was more of a 'Hey, what are you doing with MY human???'

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gaston has done the nudge thing and probably thinking the same thing but never nasty.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
thank you for taking a rescue - you will never regret it. my two are inseperable. in fact they kept playing with each other at the BBQ and only once in a while played with the other dober kids.

cc

1 - 20 of 20 Posts