21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I am so sorry for your heartbreaking loss

·
Registered
602 Posts
I am so sorry and heartbroken to hear about this. Princi and I send our prayers.

Naveen

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. I hope time will give you the strength to remember all of the good things about your time with your pup.

It is good to hear you are getting contact with the local police to have this further investigated. Maybe you can save the life of another with your actions.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hi everyone

Thanks for all your kind comments, It does help out alot.

I have had a few days to clear my head and this is what I am trying to pursue. I feel the first Vet Damien had seen gave a complete lack of treatment with regard to the presenting symptoms of vomiting and diarrhea. She must surely have noticed his abdominal discomfort and yet chose not to do any blood work, parvo test or to provide any kind of supportive care for those symptoms. I paid $60 to be told that he had a heart problem.

I plan on taking legal action on what has transpired. My breeder has spoken with quite a few vets over the weekend, and they have all told her that this was not the proper way to treat a puppy, and at the least should be reprimanded.

I am gathering paperwork over the next few days to help my case before going further with this. I do know that I must word myself properly, because I know that vets do like to stick together. I will let you all know what transpires over the next week.

Ps. I don't know how much to look into this, but when I brought Damien to the first vet, the 2 ladies that looked at him, appear to know my breeder and have a personal problem with her over not selling a puppy to one of them.( this is what my breeder has told me) does this have anything to do with Damien and a personal vendetta I sure a hell hope not.

·
Banned
675 Posts
By "two ladies" do you mean two vets? Having a grudge against the breeder "could" have something do with lack of proper treatment for the puppy, but like you, I hope not. OTOH anyone who would do that to a puppy because they were angry at the breeder doesn't deserve to have a puppy so maybe the breeder was right not to sell one to her.

I have to agree with the vets your breeder has talked to about the lack of proper treatment. Puppies are less able to fight off things than adults so it's always wise to take extra precautions rather than less. And for a puppy with the symptoms your puppy had my experience is that the first vet like I told you about the first vet my foster puppy saw, was very negligent.

Maybe it would be more effective to pursue your complaint based on the negligence rather than getting into the personal issues between the vet and the breeder, even if they are true.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Micdobe

pursue your complaint based on the negligence rather than getting into the personal issues between the vet and the breeder.

That is exactly what I plan on doing Im leaving the personal crap out of it , just staying to the facts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear Ryan

I'm very sorry about what happen to your Dobie.
I just got my Doberman last year 2005 July. I was having the exactly same case as you!
He was vomiting 3 times in an hour and he was dehydrated. I took him to emergency clinlic. The vet told me that there was a possibility of having pravo virus, so he helped me to call my breeder from Woodstock. My breeder was getting so mad when he heard that the vet thinks his dogs has pravo. He hung up on the vet.

I spend a night with my puppy at the emergery clinic...I was very upset and thought he couldn't make it. The vet gave him some needle shots, and the next morning I immediately transfer him to another clinic and have another vet take care of him.
I spent almost 2 thousand dollars on my dobie's medical treatment on the 2nd day that I get my dog! (The dog was also 2 thousand dollars as well) Can you believe this? I almost used up my lifetime saving in one weekend. BUT I'm still very grateful he is still with me now. Now he is one year old and very healthy. I'll love him forever.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Nick,
Did you ever find out exactly what was wrong with him? I have heard it is possible for young Doberman puppies to get parvo in spite of being vaccinated. Especially if they haven't finished the series of shots.

Some breeders don't vaccinate because they don't believe in it. I don't know your breeder, but I don't think getting mad at the vet and hanging up on him was helpful for the puppy.

I'm glad your little guy pulled thru tho.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i am sorry for ur loss . i know how it feels . after reading about your symptoms i think its case of parvo ( i might be wrong ) . cas i ve helped in treating five pups with the case of parvo even after properly vaccinated . but fortunately we saved three of five pups .

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.