Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got home today and let Gracie out. I looked on there deck and there were parts of the carpet cleaners out there, along with a tug toy and a poop covered slipper. Her collar was out there as well. So I go inside and get to work on cleaning what hubby couldn't finish. So I move a blanket to throw it onto the poop covered chair and what is under the blanket? That's right more poop. So I throw the blanket in the laundry room while saying "WTF" the whole time. I get the trash can out along with a poop load of paper towel (no pun intended) so I get that mess cleaned up. I am taking a 20 minutes break right now. I figure I have been cleaning for well over an hour and I deserve a break.

My house still smells like crap, I keep finding new piles. It's all over my furniture. I have called the vet to see if they can mayber remove her pooper. Okay so not really. But I did call them. I told them that this happens about every 2 months. It isn't like a little cat turd you can just pick up and do a quick cleaning. This is more of a get a scraper to scrap it off the floor and hope to god you don't step in it. They laughed, but said they will try to find out what it could be. I feel so bad for the girl but man, my house smells like her over grown litter box. No matter what, we can't get the freaking smell out. Errr..

Oh and the collar slipped off her neck, it had no poop on it. I had to ask hubby why he took it off her. I was to afraid to pick it up to see why. Lol.

Rant over. Please continue to browse the forum. :)

·
Registered
694 Posts
Sabot does that about once every couple of months....it is like he got a hold of something bad and gets the runs for a day....weird, I just give him some pepto and it usually helps.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Oh my..I must have missed a post? Why is she doing this? Is it like solid poop?or runny? :/

I hate cleaning Bruno's accidents. Which happen only in the morning if I'm not up fast enough to let him out lol. Drives me nuts. I couldn't imagine cleaning that much!! :( I'm sorry you have to go through that.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She does this once every 2 months or so. We don't know why yet. We have cut out people food and most treats. Her selection is getting very limited with every time this happens. Soon she will just be down to water. (Not really but that is how I feel everytime we go through this.) Today there were a few clumps in it. If wasn't hard by any means but it wasn't as runny as it has been in the past. I kinda wonder if it is because it's been raining here all day. But she went out when hubby was on break. She went out before he and I both lefted the house. We leave at differant times as well. She goes out right when I get home from work and again when he gets home. He also comes home on his 9am break to let her out. So this happened between 9am and noon. He got most of it cleaned before I got home. Although I am now out of carpet cleaner. As well as smelly stuff to get rid of the smell. I am wait for hubby to get home from fixing some guys computer to bring me more cleaner and smelly stuff.

Can this week get any worse? And it's only Tuesday. Just one more thing to add to my list..... Excue me while I go crawl into a dark corner and stay there for the rest of the week. :(

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Came home to a little pressie from Tia this afternoon myself,we have just changed her diet and i think she might take a while to adjust, so i know exactly where you are coming from ,i am ok so long as i do not smell it then i get to heaving and feeling sick.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Same here. I just got off the phone with the vet. No more people food at all. Also no more treats at all excpet for her charcol treats. Those have to be limited as well. We are not to change her food. She has to keep eating the same food from now on.

I also get to watch over her like a hawk and try to get a stool sample from her so I can drop it off for them to test. I asked about it being Anal Glands, they said it doesn't sound like it. They said that it sounds more in depth than that. So lets hope I can get a sample for them. I still have some samples in the trash if I had enough guts to go through the trash... Where is hubby when I need him? Lol.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Oh dear, I am sorry you are going through that, sounds like a bad day. If there is a medical reason behind it then maybe they can get it fixed, for your sake I hope so.

One time and only the one time my boxer that I had years ago did that in the house, it was so unlike him but after considering what could have ever gotten into him and looking back at the situation I felt that maybe he did it because he was mad at us LOL for going out and not taking him. It probably wasn't that but I do have to wonder.

Do you not crate her while everyone is gone? When there is no one here both dogs are crated, I give them a kong with peanut butter or something to occupy them and I know that they are safe, the house is safe from chewing and messes and destruction LOL. Of course I don't work so I am not gone for long periods of time so I know it is probably easier on some than others. Some people also don't like to crate while gone but it could be at least a way to keep this from happening in the house and less chance of it happening at all as they do not like to soil their close living space. If it does happen at least it is in the crate and easier to clean.

I hope you find out what is happening and hopefully get it under control, it is very frustrating when it adds to the cleaning that we all already soooo enjoy. *sarcasm* LOL

·
Registered
953 Posts
Oh wow. I couldn't imagine :( I'm sorry you have to deal with that. I think i'd lose my mind. I can't stand the smell of Bruno's farts, never mind cleaning up a big mess like that :( I feel for you.

Hope you can figure this out. Poor thing (Gracie too lol).

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
GM,
do you think it could be seperation anxiety? Have you been working more hours or has some kind of normal routine in the house changed? New neighbors our outside noises?
I have a friend that has a little mix that does the same thing and has for the past 11 years. She's good as gold as long as there is no change at all (not an easy thing to promise in the military). The slightest change in routine will set her off with really yucky diarrhea for a week or so until she adjusts to the change and then she's fine again until something else happens.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Things are always changing around here and she just goes with the flow of things. She has never cared if things change. She seems to more so enjoy change than anything else. I don't work anymore than normal. I actually have an extra day off this week.

Also we use to crate her. She has earned her way out of the crate. But now we are talking about pulling the sucker out again. We just need to find a place to put it again. Where we use to put it is being occupied by a new bed. I also have company coming over to stay here for a few weeks on Thursday. With her child non the less. Gracie will be in doggy heaven. Kids can keep up with her energy more than any adult ever could. :)

I really don't think this is behaveral, I really think this is something medical with her. Sensitive stomach, infection, glands, something. I am not really sure what though. As soon as I can get a sample from her I will take it in. But by now the office is closed and so I will have to run it down there tomorrow.

By the way. Hubby has cleaned up about 98% (notice the number Tracy?) of her messes. This time I pitched in to help. I normally can't stomach her poop. (No wise crack jokes Kratty.) :) But today while picking up finding another pile, then another, then another. I had to do something. I can't just leave it for hubby to clean up. :) Although the throught ran through my mind a few times. :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sorry to hear that Gracie's Mom. Also I may have missed it but did you mention if it is solid or runny? When Princess was about 6-8months (I think) she did this a few times and it was very runny and the vet said she had an infection of some kind in the you know what... But now it has been almost 8 months and things couldn't be better (healthwise atleast..lol knock on wood). I hope she is feeling better and the house isn't smelling too bad. Hopefully it will go away.

Naveen

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Gracie's mom, get some nice smelling candles going :) that will help with the odor.

I hope it is something they can get straightened out quick. Bless her heart.

Da'Kari has earned her way out of the crate at night and at all times we are home, but I use the crate for going but when she gets older I would like to believe we can allow her run of the house too, but that will take some trust for sure. She is just too mischevious. LOL

And YES it is a pain trying to find places for those crates, we have two sitting side by side in my living room, I would love to get rid of one (which belongs to my daughter) but I can't put them both in one, even if it is extra large. LOL

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Her poo was in the middle. It was solid enough to pick up but liquid enough to grind into the carpet when you pick it up. It was a no win situation. Hubby and I went out and bought some stuff today, and I will also be getting back my normal stuff tomorrow from my brother. He had to barrow the carpet cleaner so he has all my really good cleaners and magic potions for animals accidents. :)

So right now I am still in a cleaning mood. Although I have given up on the living room and I am working on the rest of the house. I have way to much energy tonight. I have to go to bed in about an hour at the latest. I don't think I will be able to sleep at this point. To many things to do so little time. And I am having fun cleaning. How scary is that? I must be getting sick or something. It's probably the new pills. Maybe they will keep me like this from now on. :D :D :D

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
It could be that her regular food is just not agreeing with her. Maybe try some yogurt once or twice a week, this sometimes can keep loose stools in check. Also, is this about the time you start a new bag of food? Some manufacturers change there meat suppliers on a regular basis and if she has a sensative stomach this could effect her. Just some thoughts to consider. LOL I am a big believer in hardwood or laminite floors with animals. ;)

·
Registered
986 Posts
When you've gotta go, you've gotta go....

Sorry you're having to deal with this GM, but it sounds medical to me, too (and unpreventable). Poor thing...imagine how she feels.

·
Banned
675 Posts
I think there's probably something wrong with her. How old is she?

Right now I feel the same way about my Italian Greyhounds. I'm on the internet rather than cleaning up the mess, but that is typical of IGs. And one of them had to force her way into the expen the other one is in and make messes there too as well as eat the other one's food. They always do what they want and give you the finger/paw while they're doing it. For a breed that was supposedly created to be a household companion they are spectacularly bad at it.

I've never had as much trouble with a Doberman as I've had with the IGs. That's why I tend to think Gracie has a physical problem.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
About a month ago, I woke up, and Rommel had jumped off the bed and pooped and peed in every room in my house, I swear.

This was odd because #1, he never poo'd in the house, even when he was tiny. #2, he HATES jumping off of ANYTHING...much less my bed, it is really high off the ground. (He wont even do it for a treat!) When I woke up he was just sitting on the floor next to my bed staring at me, like he did something bad.

I was NOT HAPPY!!!! But, he has never done it again, and I still dont have a clue why he did it, but I think he must have had a sick tummy. I just don't know where all the pee came from, I dont think his body is capable of holding the amount there was on my floor!

I agree with everyone else, I think it is medical. Poor Gracie :( I hope Rommel doesnt start doing it every 2 months.....Thank God for Wood floors though.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
She is only half way through the bag of food. So I don't think that is why. You could see it in her face all night last night that she didn't feel good. Every time I took her out I would try to get a sample, but she released all of her "samples" in the house. I did ask if I could bring one in on a paper towel that I had to pick up in the living room. They told me no though. :( I just really hope that we can get to the bottom of this soon.

Now I can't wait to get new flooring, I am almost afraid of what the padding looks like at this point.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
GM, I am so sorry to hear of your problem. I hope you find out your problem and get it fixed to she is feeling better. I know how tough it can be to clean up. Years ago Harmony stole a bag of hershey kisses and decided they sounded sooo good. I freaked out and rushed her to the vet. Thank goodness for her size and the amount that she ate it did not harm her. She did have, pardon the pun "hershey squirts" for some days afterwards. It was hard to control and would be all over the place. Totally disgusting. Candy was not to be left out on counters afterwards and her wandering nose was not to be near the counter. She got herself a free ticket to bathes daily though. Not her favorite thing.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Gracie's mom, if they have to the vets can take a sample themselves from inside the dog. They may not want to but they can, as I know because my dogs have had it done several times over the years. It helps if the dog hasn't completely emptied itself of poop before then, of course. The stool should be fresh that 's why you should get one just as she does it and take it right in.

But I haven't done that in years, I just take the dog in and the vet gets a sample. If your vet won't do that, and dianosis and treatment is waiting on you being able to get a fresh sample yourself, I would take her to another vet for this, one who will be more helpful.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts