Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I hoped it was just a sore leg but it is even worse today. My girls left front leg must be hurt, she is limping and can not put any weight on it. :( I have an appointment to see the Vet tonight after work, wish me luck!

DA

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I had her to the Vet tonight and he checked her out pretty good. It looks like it is only a sprain or a sore on her one toe. :dancing_b

He did an x-ray of her entire leg and said everything looks good, no fractures or breaks.:cool2:

She is still limping and he said she probably will for a week or two. He prescribed 2 buffered aspirin per day to help her along. I dont know if there is anything I can do other than that and limit her activity for a week or so. (That is not going to be easy) :D

I am just glad nothing is broken!

DA

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I hope she is getting better, The only thing I can think of to make her feel a little bit better is a few extra treats. :) I know it isn't anything medical but I know when I am hurt or don't feel good I want a special treat.

Please keep us updated. Also I would like to wish you good luck on trying to make her take it easy over the next few days. I know how hard that can be. With Gracie it is next to impossible. :(

Good luck again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Im sorry to hear your girl is limping! My Simon was limping when I got him from the rescue, I gave him an asprin every day to help. I took him to the vet for the rescue checkup because the foster home was having a lot of problems and was supposed to take him in and didn't....ended up a torn cruicate ligament :-( He has had surgery to correct it...Fire keep a watch out if its his back leg! Its good to hear it wasn't something major like that! I would say keep her in a small area and give lots of non-activity toys, all the balls and frisbees have somehow mysteriously dissapeared from the house!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Doberadmin said:
Well I had her to the Vet tonight and he checked her out pretty good. It looks like it is only a sprain or a sore on her one toe. :dancing_b

He did an x-ray of her entire leg and said everything looks good, no fractures or breaks.:cool2:

She is still limping and he said she probably will for a week or two. He prescribed 2 buffered aspirin per day to help her along. I dont know if there is anything I can do other than that and limit her activity for a week or so. (That is not going to be easy) :D

I am just glad nothing is broken!

DA

you may also wanna check for bone cancer, because they also limp when they have that

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the well wishes.

Well it has been a month and although she is doing much better she still has a problem with her left front. I dont think it is an injury persay but more like a stiff joint or arthritis. What happens is after she lays down to sleep or nap for any length of time, say 4 hours or so when she gets up she will limp for maybe 10-15 mins. After that she is fine and runs and plays as rough as the best of them, but sure enough the next time she sleeps and then wakes she will limp again.

I am not real sure what to check next as the X-Ray did not show anything and she doesnt look like she is in any pain at all. She will get up all excited and hop around on 3 legs without a care in the world.

I had a Doberman with Wobblers and I know what it is like to take care of a dog that cant walk properly and it is not fun at all.

I am concerned that this is some type of arthritis, cancer, or bone problem that is just showing signs of trouble. :( I am just not sure where to go next in the diagnosis of her problem, any advice?

DA

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I didn't know that this happened a month ago. Sorry for my mistake. I just found the dates on the posts.

I would take her to another vet for a second opinion. Two heads are better than one right? That way maybe the second vet might see something the first vet didn't. I am not trying to say that your vet isn't good, I just think that having two different sets of eyes looking at the same thing might have a better outcome. I would also ask a vet about giving her a baby asprin a day. My brother in law gives his dog one every morning for her arthritis. It has helped her a lot considering she couldn't even stand and now she can walk with out pain. That should help some. Poor girl though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts