Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My five year old Doberman was unable to use his back legs after four days. We took him to a neurology hospital where they ran a lot of tests and MRI. Started him on lots of meds and even chemo drug. MRI showed a lot of inflammation and thick stuff around his spinal cord and nerves. They tested him for lymphoma and that was negative. After 13 days he did not get better and only got worse. We decided to euthanize rather than put him through anymore pain or suffering. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? My heart aches for this beautiful boy.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
28,191 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss.

We'd love to see pictures and hear your stories about him if you'd like to share them and feel up to it--every dobe is so special and unique.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My five year old Doberman was unable to use his back legs after four days. We took him to a neurology hospital where they ran a lot of tests and MRI. Started him on lots of meds and even chemo drug. MRI showed a lot of inflammation and thick stuff around his spinal cord and nerves. They tested him for lymphoma and that was negative. After 13 days he did not get better and only got worse. We decided to euthanize rather than put him through anymore pain or suffering. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? My heart aches for this beautiful boy.
I echo the sentiments of the previous responses as I sense your heart break in the loss of your beloved Doberman.
The following link might provide an understanding of the condition that disabled your Doberman if the vet/neurologists diagnosis was Diskospondylitis
(Text) Discospondylitis (Spondylitis) in Dogs - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost (wagwalking.com)

Diskospondylitis in Dogs: Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis and Treatment - YouTube

·
Premium Member
Mocha
4,824 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am so sorry. My heart goes out to you and your family; I am actually tearing up as i write this. I have not experienced this before, and as hard as the choice was, I am happy that you didn't keep putting this beautiful boy though a bunch tests and continue his suffering. I know it sounds silly to a lot of people, but whenever someone loses their beloved pet, I think that he or she is joining my boys, my German Shepherd and my Husky that I lost years ago. It makes it easier for me to cope with my loss. Again, so very sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is exactly what happened to my dog at the same age. This was close to a year ago. We were never given an explanation other than he will never walk again. It was so frustrating, but in the end we decided to put him down because we had no real diagnosis, even after seeking alternative opinions. Now I know.

The one thing I would say is that we never saw any of the symptoms that were mentioned in the article. I was one that regularly liked to massage my dogs in joints and the spine to see if he would complain of any pain. I did this like every other day. Dogs always hide symptoms of any sickness.

He just went south overnight. I woke up one morning and saw him on the floor real quite. I approached him and he gave me an awful look. I asked him to come to no avail. I immediately got my wife up and told her, let's go to the vet hospital. He walked to the door, but he couldn't get passed it. I picked him up and put him in the car and off we went.

My wife drove while I sat in the back of the car with him in my lap. He just lay there quite, his back legs not moving. I kept rubbing him and praying that it would not be anything serious.

When we got to the hospital, he couldn't walk at all, except for moving his neck and head. He had to be wheeled into the hospital. It was awful. A couple hours after they gave us the news. I was devastated, but hopeful, so I contacted his vet and his breeder to see what they could tell me. I never got any answer other than he wouldn't be able to walk again. 😔

The worse part is we kept asking ourselves, what did we do wrong? For months we kept thinking, what exactly happen? Could we have prevented it? How did he get hurt?

Thanks to the person that sent the links. It finally brought some closure today, almost a year later. I wish the article would be more specific. I'll have to keep searching for more information.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts