Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as some of you may remember I recently became a volunteer for Il dobe rescue to transport dogs. Well on tuesday it was my first transport and lets just say it turned out to be more then I bargained for(puting it lightly). I will keep this as short as possible! The dobermans name was Amos and he was needing transport from one animal hospital to another. It was quite a long drive but I agreed to do it just to get my feet wet and help out. I left early to avoid lunch rush hour, and as I was heading out on the highway and of course something had to go wrong. The low coolant light came on and I thought WTH cuz my dad had just put more coolant in that morning. Well I had to get off the highway and I just didn't quite know where I was other then what town. So I called my mom, she figured it out and I had to wait there in parking lot at bennigans for my mom to bring me a different car. That was after she got dirrections and filled it with gas of course. So I finally got back on the highway(which turned out to be a bad idea) and I got stuck in a WHOLE lotta traffic not to mention all the road work being done. I swear half the time I was driving there was something being worked on! Talk about slow. I looked at the clock and started freaking out because I didn't think I would have time to get to drop him off at the other hospital. I called my mom trying to figure out where exactly I was and how far... and to keep things short lets just say she kind of gave me wrong directions. I called the IDR volunteer I had been in contact with. I felt SOOO bad and I told her I could come back tomorrow or bring him home for the night or whatever. So yea... long story short I brought him home. He was a good boy for the car ride and quite the sweet heart. We had to keep him away from the cats and dog as he wasn't tested with other animals and he had been sick anyways. I know what you are all probably thinking, believe me I won't be transporting any more sick dogs.

I stayed with Amos over night and literally only left his side for like half an hour at most and then he was with my mom so he was hardly ever alone. He stuck to me like glue. He is a tall black boy with natural ears and a docked tail, he even has dew claws. He was big but very emaciated(when I fed him he inhaled his food). The doctor told me he actually gained a lot of weight already but he still a lot to go as you will see. Amos didn't know his name and didnt really have any manners at all. He pulled on the leashed didnt know how to sit still or even sit for that matter! (but I did teach him to sit!) He was a typical doberman. He bumped his big nose in my face about 50 times and put his head in my lap whenever he could. Despite how weak he might have looked, he was full of energy I could not tire him. I took him for a LOONG run and he still wasn't tired! It was nice having a dobe for a while. My mom got more attached to him then I expected and she wasn't with him half the time I was! She really wanted to keep him, and if we didn't have Strike she would have. The next morning we took him and dropped him off at the other clinic. I hope he gets well and he gets a good home with someone willing to take him to some obedience classes and give him the time he needs.

Sorry that was so long but I made sure to take some pictures when I got home cuz I know how much you all like pictures. I cropped myself out though, of course.

Here I am!

Whats over there?

see how skinny I am?

You could see his whole spin.

he's actually sitting for a second.

I am free, I am free!

I am over here!

and I am sitting!

my pretty face.

.....BOO!

"HI!"

If i was cropped

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Poor guy.

Good that Amos is out of whatever "home" he was in that caused him to get into that kind of shape.

I'll bet he finds a good home before too long.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
You have a great soul! So nice that you are starting to do this awesome work to help the Dobies! He looks like a total sweetheart. You can understand why people give up their dogs, they don't want to take the time to train them, exersize them, and give proper attention to them! Dobermans will demand attention...and then get themselves into tons of trouble if they don't get it....most lazy people wouldn't be able to handle that, so they dump them! Some nice dogs out there waiting for good homes.

Carol

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
He looks like a friendly boy,I hope some takes him who has a lot of love to give,he looks like he deserves some.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
What a sweet-looking guy. Kudos to you Bleh!!

Reactions: bleh60

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Awe! Rudi was just about that skinny when I adopted him!
Good groceries and obedience. That's all he needs to make the perfect addition to someones family!

Good Luck Amos!

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
A sweet looking guy. Good for you for helping out. Sorry it didn't turn out like you planned. Hopefully he finds a great home to take care of him.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow, that was very sweet of you!! And yeah, it so sad to see a dobe with no home to give him loves and show him how a dog should be treated. I wish I had a huge farm to give all the lost dobes out there a home with love. What a great deed you did!

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. If I had planned on taking him and he wasnt sick, it wouldn't have been such a big deal. But believe me I was EXHAUSTED! I wish I could of had some of his energy! lol.

Good that Amos is out of whatever "home" he was in that caused him to get into that kind of shape.

I'll bet he finds a good home before too long.
yea, I dont know anything about his backstory but I would guess there was abuse as well as neglect, as you can tell by the laseration(sp?) on the back of his neck.

I agree with all of you he will find a good home and you should of seen my mom she was like "do they screen people well before adopting? how long will he be there? will we know when he is adopted?" lol she totally fell for him.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Oh yeah.....they screen......and very well, I might add. I had a background check, a home check, a yard check, a vet check, a reference check. The only thing they didn't do was a credit check! All worth it! They really want to be sure these guys go to their forever home since a lot of them are treated like yesterdays news sometimes. They want to make a good match between the dog and new owner.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
That is so cute that your mom fell for him so quickly. These dogs really grow on you. :)

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea, I know IDR does a good screening before placement. Even before foster homes they do vet check, home check, etc.

That is so cute that your mom fell for him so quickly. These dogs really grow on you.
I know! I told her thats how I became such a dober addict. they do grow on you. She gave him his own stuffie and he didnt use it much but she was all upset that she forgot to bring it with when we dropped him off! She was even going to mail it to him! lol.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Oh - how sweet of you & your ma to take such great care of him - good for you for volunteering. Hope your next transport goes a bit better in the car department :) Hope he finds a great home with people to spoil him real soon :)

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
awww that is very nice of you :) he looks like a great dog! and I bet you had fun getting to spend some genuine time with a dobe :) what did strike think of that hehehe :)

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
next transport goes a bit better in the car department
thankx Jenny, yea hope so!

awww that is very nice of you he looks like a great dog! and I bet you had fun getting to spend some genuine time with a dobe what did strike think of that hehehe
LD I did have fun with him, loved all the dobe things he did, I missed that. Strike saw me with him outside and got PISSED,lol! he barked and jumped at the window. He usually sleeps with me on my bed so he probably missed that. He sniffed me like crazy. "is that another dog I smell on you?!"

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
yeah to you for taking your time and doing something so wonderful! I'm sure that poor fella did not feel good but he probably felt safe with someone like you who has an enormous heart. :)

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Excellent job Bleh, Volunteering is great isn't it.........no matter what kind of volunteering it is, it really IS it's own reward :)

Look at the bright side, your first transport was rough..........I bet all others will go smoothly next to this one :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts