Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

It's been a while since I've posted. I hope everybody is well?

I recently attended a 1-on-1 ringcraft lesson, which went far better than expected (I say that, as I had never been able to get him to stand correctly - because I didn't know how). Unknown to me, my boy already knew what to do, thanks to his breeder teaching him when he was a pup (honestly, it was like discovering that the car you owned had a sports button you never knew about). It was incredible to see somebody show me something he could do, that I never knew about.

My reason for this thread was advice on his structure bone/muscle etc. I'm looking for helpful advice and recommendations, please. I thought it would be wise for me to state that I would hopefully be showing him in Europe.

Thanks in advance.

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

·
Registered
114 Posts
I assume you're talking about conformation handling classes? We don't call them ringcraft lessons around here, so I'm just guessing...

Many dogs naturally have a good free stack. They'll just hit with their legs in the right place with little training. That's how my show boys are, fortunately. Handling classes, or simply speaking to/working with decent handlers, can be a huge help in figuring stuff out!

What do you mean, "advice on structure"? A critique on your dog? How to best present your specific dog? How to properly muscle your dog for the show ring? The question is quite unclear to me...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume you're talking about conformation handling classes? We don't call them ringcraft lessons around here, so I'm just guessing...

Many dogs naturally have a good free stack. They'll just hit with their legs in the right place with little training. That's how my show boys are, fortunately. Handling classes, or simply speaking to/working with decent handlers, can be a huge help in figuring stuff out!

What do you mean, "advice on structure"? A critique on your dog? How to best present your specific dog? How to properly muscle your dog for the show ring? The question is quite unclear to me...
Looking at the photo, are there areas that need improving regarding muscular structure (eg. he requires more muscle on the upper rear leg, and here's how to achieve that etc).

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
How old is he in the photo?

He has a touch of elegance that I like... :)

His 'topline' is soft, he is long in loin, both could improve as he matures...

How tall is he now and how much does weigh?

Good luck showing your boy.

Remember to have fun!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How old is he in the photo?

He has a touch of elegance that I like... :)

His 'topline' is soft, he is long in loin, both could improve as he matures...

How tall is he now and how much does weigh?

Good luck showing your boy.

Remember to have fun!
Hi Darkevs,

Thank you. That's the kind of feedback I was after.

He's three, so I doubt there will be much physical maturing. Is there anything that I personally can do?

He's about 28.75" and weighs in at approx 42kg.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Personally, I'm of the opinion that a dog is what it is with regards to musculature. You can work on his overall conditioning, but not really do one particular exercise to target adding muscle to the rear legs or something.

I also somehow completely missed the photo in your original post, lol. Now your question makes a lot more sense!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Throwing a tennis ball down a hill is a nice way to work on rear strength. Another, less impact way, I have Gretchen put her front paws on a stool and have her do sit/stands over and over.
Uphill running is actually something that I would love to introduce into our exercise regime, but unfortunately we live in a very flat area. The suggestion of sits and stands are a brilliant idea. Thank you.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For a 3 year old, he looks a little 'soft' all over.

:)

How much exercise a day does he get?
How much are you feeding him?
I say three, he'll be three in December.

I agree, he is a little 'soft' looking. Compared to his parents he's little smaller - possibly due to incorrect diet during earlier years (kibble instead of raw), and due to the fact that he's never been a huge eater.

Presently his diet is brilliant (even if I do say so myself), the problem is the amount he's willing to eat - no matter what it is (chicken, beef, lamb, venison). He's not a fussy eater, he just sometimes doesn't feel like eating (he's very much like me).

Each meal he's served:
- 107g - Vegetable mix with herbs and tumeric
- 165g - Tripe
- 372g - Meat
- 72g - Offal
- Chicken necks
- Olive oil
- Coconut oil
- Vitamins and minerals

Fried & oven cooked offal or cheese as treats when training. He get's two meals per day. Not bad huh?

Exercise, I admit he could do with more of. Each day will either be:
- 2 mile jog/run
- 1 mile walk
- 1 mile bike-jor sprint.
- Training session - Schutzhund work/nose work.

Thoughts?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts