Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,

We finally found one! Introducing Apollo. He's four months old, red/rust coloriing, ears cropped and tail docked (but a long tail for docked...almost like a pointer?)

We discovered a reputable breeder in Connecticut who had a litter from a breeder in Texas who is her friend. Her friend in TX is dying and had the litter shipped to her a while back. She was in need of finding this big baby a home since her own dobes just had a litter and her attention had to now fully be on them. No one had taken him from her hands yet, I think more so because people would ask for pictures to be emailed to her and her camera broke...I think he would have definitely been scooped up by now.

So...I brought Louie with me for the hour ride to her home. He's great with my small dogs and was brought up with them as well as cats...very docile too since his brother beat him up when they were younger, he is in no way, shape or form dominant like. We are very excited for our new boy...I can finally feel as if I can now "fit in" with having a dobe now! I'll store the digital pics that I took into my computer later to share....as of right now we're on our way to the pet store to get him a new leash, bowls, etc! :boldblue:

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Firstly congrats on your pup, secondly, I know you got plenty of great advice about male on male housing with a doberman, and how unsafe it can be, so sorry you chose not to listen. I wish you the best, but I find it very unlikey a "reputable" breeder would be willing to give you a male doberman when you have a male dog in the house already, or have his tail docked like a pointer.

Once again, best wishes to you and your dogs.

Edited to add, now wait a minute, I just re-read it, he is "from" a reputable breeder, who got the litter from another breeder? Just trying to sort it out.... That may explain his tail not being correct if the actual breeder is obviously not reputable per say, but I still stand by what I said about this breeder letting him go to a home with another male.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
LeighaG81 said:
(but a long tail for docked...almost like a pointer?)
very docile too since his brother beat him up when they were younger, he is in no way, shape or form dominant like.
Most likely a reputable breeder would not leave a tail like a Pointer on one of their puppies. And at only 4 months old, he is a baby baby, I would certainly hope he was not dominant at all. Allowing another dog to "beat him up" does not assure he is a good fit or laid back.

It might be a very different story with toy dogs vs. Dobe puppy (or later adult).

I agree with Lexus, you were warned about male and male aggression in the Dobe breed, yet you got a male anyway as your first Dobe ever. Males are not good for first timers for many reasons, esp. with a other male dogs in the house. Too big of a risk. It would be very sad to have to re-home later, or keep certain dogs separated for life, or have a Pom get hurt...

Part of me wonders why you would even risk your precious Poms? I love the males in most of the breeds of dogs, but after lots of thought I wouldn't risk my current Dobe male to get another.

Yeah, things might be fine when the dog is a baby puppy, but dominance issues usually start around puberty time with young males. And just b/c my dog is laid back with males, that doesn't mean he always will be with every male. And that doesn't mean it won't change with each dog he interacts with, I don't know how your male Poms are, but don't bet on your male Dobe being in no way, shape, or form dominant as he settles in and matures.

I really truly hope for the best for your situation, but please be aware of the risks and don't leave anyone out without 100% supervision ever. I know how very bad you want a Doberman. They are a wonderful breed.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Congrats. and I wish you the best of luck with the new pup. :)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Congrats Leigha!

pics! pics! pics! pics! pics! pics!! :D

RE the male thing... First of all I'm curious why is it a male, was it the only pup left? Did the breeder you got him from make any notice or give you advice about the fact he's a male going into a mulit-dog home?

Male dobes can live with other dogs, but I would never recommend it to a first time or unexperienced owner. Leigha, I don't know you, so maybe you are experienced enough, I'm just going by what others have said. Chances are that even if this pup is docile and submissive, once he matures, you will have some aggression issues to resolve. Doesn't mean that he will all of a sudden start attacking all dogs and you'll have to get rid of him, these might be just a few incidents here or there which if you put an end to will never continue.

The key things for you to work on: socialize him, buid up his confidence if he was the beat up pup in the litter, and train him. You want a well socialize, confident, happy dog. The fact he was the beat up, scared little puppy, would make me nervous not happy about the prospects of him being with little dogs. You don't want a fear biting, irrational doberman, protecting himself from a pom, because he feels the pom is some how scary or a threat. You know that one snap from the dobe can mean big trouble for the pom's well being.

When you're socializing him with other dogs, make sure you know the dogs. Even if it means going to the dog park alone first to get to know all the dogs and their owners and explain to them what you're doing. You don't want him to come into contact with any aggressive dogs, or dogs that will bully him. Also, don't over whelm him. If you come to the dog park and there are 15 dogs there running around like little tornados, turn around and go home. Exposing him to that is not worth the risk of something going wrong. If there are dog-friendly well behaved dogs in your neighbourhood or family gradually introduce him to those and have them spend some time together.

Lastly, you have to have clear rules set up at home as to his conduct and practice his obedience to perfection! When he is mature and starts acting out like all teenagers do, you have to be able to control him and you have to have his respect already earned. If you do start dealing with aggression issues, the first thing you will be doing is using obedience skills to control and mould the situation. Obviously the better and more reliable he is at listening to you, the easier the process will be.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, I (of course) knew there was going to be a bit of some static in these threads.....let me clarify before even posting pictures.

The breeder in CT, Robin, didn't have these puppies herself (although she did have five week old pups who are adorable at her home!). SHE, had this litter SHIPPED to her from Texas. The breeder in TEXAS, where Apollo is from, is dying and could not take care of them any longer (due to hospital visits, treatments, what ever the case may be, I'm sure you can all understand that if someone is dying then they can no longer take care of their dogs, yes?) If I said that he is originally *from* a reputable breeder in my first post, my apologies...because I do not know.

He has been around Robin's dogs since he was shipped from Texas with his littermates. Robin has a doxie as well as cats, parrots and of course obviously other dobes. Apollo was the last one left and was actually beat up by his sibling when he was younger which in turn is why he is very docile and NOT dominant nor does he show any dominant types of behavior in any way. I never said that the breeder where he is actually from in Texas is reputable, but I did meet Robin who breeds at her beautiful home in CT and found her to be a person who loves her dogs very much and wanted to find the best home possible for this last red.

I brought Louie (my smallest) to Robin's home in Connecticut to make sure and he was better then any other large dog I've seen with him. Watches where he steps, sniffed him a few times and was bored of him.

As far as male dobes/small dogs/other males go....trust me, he will be neutered upon six months old turning point.

Thank you all for your positive input. I know he can potentially become aggressive as he gets older, and like Zucker said...socialization is a must. As of next week I will be setting up classes with my friend John Johnston of K-9 Performance (www.k-9performance.com) who specializes in larger breed dogs. I brought my first pom to him who was crazy and out of control and have seen what amazing responses he can get out of large breed dogs. I can tell from Apollo's reactions right now that he is in the stage of being ready to train, he's very eager to please and is already doing great on working with me at the park with heeling and come commands. I may not have any experience with dobes, but my fiance grew up with them and knows a lot more then I do.

·
Premium Member
3,037 Posts
It can be turn out good as well, I have got 4 males and one female, The males get along together and even play nicely! and they are all big boys, as long as you get in charge its ok, I have a dobermann male from 7 years yordi, and a male from 3 years a mal, a male from 2 years a GSD, and a little one a dobe from 1 year and the dobermann female she is 10 years, and believe me if I had to watch one its the female Lindsey, she is always willing to fight.

I all had them as a puppy except the female she was 5 months and they grew up together, we also did a lot of training with them and still do, we always have had a bunch of dogs and never got any problems, I don't say it never happened, cause I saw many times it went out wrong, but it can turn out right as well, lots also depends on the character of the dog and ofcourse on your own. I have read you are going to train as well, then you be arround with people who can give you advice and helping to train, its a nice little boy, I hope you will be very happy with him, and that he may give you much joy!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Elly..and Zucker. It's people like you who I will hope to be able to turn to with other questions/help when needed. Training is a must for this breed and he will definitely be getting trained accordingly. :)

elly said:
It can be turn out good as well, I have got 4 males and one female, The males get along together and even play nicely! and they are all big boys, as long as you get in charge its ok, I have a dobermann male from 7 years yordi, and a male from 3 years a mal, a male from 2 years a GSD, and a little one a dobe from 1 year and the dobermann female she is 10 years, and believe me if I had to watch one its the female Lindsey, she is always willing to fight.

I all had them as a puppy except the female she was 5 months and they grew up together, we also did a lot of training with them and still do, we always have had a bunch of dogs and never got any problems, I don't say it never happened, cause I saw many times it went out wrong, but it can turn out right as well, lots also depends on the character of the dog and ofcourse on your own. I have read you are going to train as well, then you be arround with people who can give you advice and helping to train, its a nice little boy, I hope you will be very happy with him, and that he may give you much joy!

·
Extraordimary
4,969 Posts
LeighaG81 said:
Thanks Elly..and Zucker. It's people like you who I will hope to be able to turn to with other questions/help when needed.
Just because they agree with what you've done doesn't make them knowledgeable to answer your future questions (and no, I'm not saying they're not knowledgeable either!)

Anyway, nice slam to the other knowledgeable people on this group who don't happen to agree with what you've done. You may have just closen a big door to further help from them.

·
Registered
880 Posts
:O Leigha... he's gorgeous! I almost didn't "recognize" you with the new avatar :p I'm really happy for you.

There's no need to get too personal and take advice only from some people. Burning down bridges, even if you don't like the people usually doesn't work out to your advantage in the long run.

BTW, you know what you still need to do, don't ya? POST PICS OF THE ENTIRE GANG! :D

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didn't want it nor mean for you or any one else to take it as a "slam". I just feel that many might read posts with my questions, but might not answer now after my decision. That is all. Regardless, no matter what is said, what door is chosen or not, there will always be just as many negatives as well as positives when it comes to opinions and I respect that...I also know that in turn I can get slammed as well for stating mine. All I meant is that in the future, if I need advice, I might consider emailing them privately instead of posting a thread.

MaryAndDobes said:
Just because they agree with what you've done doesn't make them knowledgeable to answer your future questions (and no, I'm not saying they're not knowledgeable either!)

Anyway, nice slam to the other knowledgeable people on this group who don't happen to agree with what you've done. You may have just closen a big door to further help from them.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
well, if someone didnt want to offer help after being ignored before, slamming them on the board isn't going to make anyone more likely to help later on. it gets a little frustrating and tiring to offer advice from past experience, and be ignored by a newbie who just wants to hear what they want to hear.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Leigha,
Your new pup sure has character!
I recognize your apology and understand that what you wrote was not intended to be a slam and what I'm about to write is in defense of this forum as a whole rather than just one or two members. We are not here to tell anyone what they can or can not do, we are here to advise people from our own personal experiences. A lot of people come here for advice and I don't know of anyone who has not received it - some take the original advice given, others do not. I think if you will search through the old "heated" threads, you'll find that even when there is profound disagreement, there is also great advice. That old problem of "ask 3 people the same question, you get three different answers" is very much a part of the dog world (as I'm sure you know). Although frustrating at times, it's a great way for all to share and learn from each others knowledge, different experiences and opinions. Sure, we may not always agree or like what the others post, but "not liking" doesn't mean we can't learn. Additionally, only "listening" to one or two people limits the ideas on how to solve problems. Everyone here has different training techniques, some use very traditional methods, others rely on operant and classical conditioning with clicker training - everyone has success with their methods and the methods can be combined. If you were to solicit advice from someone who uses just one method, you could very well be missing out on a lot! I write this in hope what you will reconsider and will post problems, questions and certainly brags publically.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.