Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. First time on this forum. I adopted my first Doberman puppy and she is almost 6 months old. I got her from a backyard breeder. I wanted to see if anyone had any idea if she looks full blooded Doberman since I did not get any paperwork with her. Also, I’m assuming she’s American Doberman based on the stuff I’ve seen online. Anyone have any insight? I decided against cropping her ears but her tail is docked. Thanks I’m advance.

Attachments

·
Big Lil pup
6,306 Posts
Hi Adam. Welcome from the Pacific NW.

Yes... As others have said, and from what I can see, your girl appears to be a "full blooded" Dobe. It would be nice to see a couple of full body, standing profile shots.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi. First time on this forum. I adopted my first Doberman puppy and she is almost 6 months old. I got her from a backyard breeder. I wanted to see if anyone had any idea if she looks full blooded Doberman since I did not get any paperwork with her. Also, I’m assuming she’s American Doberman based on the stuff I’ve seen online. Anyone have any insight? I decided against cropping her ears but her tail is docked. Thanks I’m advance.
Embark DNA test her. It will give some good information.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She looks like my first girl, Coco, who was a full dobe from a byb.

Welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of information here.

What is her name?
Thanks! Her name is Patches

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Adam. Welcome from the Pacific NW.

Yes... As others have said, and from what I can see, your girl appears to be a "full blooded" Dobe. It would be nice to see a couple of full body, standing profile shots.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR
thanks! Here are some standing shots

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
Definitely full blooded Doberman - I don't see anything else in her from these pictures.

Reactions: LadyDi and AdamATX

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Eva 10 y/o Dobe HADR, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
4,252 Posts
AdamATX- Welcome to DT from soon to be South Texas Arctic Vortex! (San Antonio)
There was a previous DT member, JennyATX, from the Houston area- no relation to you?

Your Patches is a cutie with her girly pink harness on!
Just remember, Dobergals (and guys) can be stubborn when it's sprinkling outside and not wanting to get wet while pottying...
...so that's what that brown patch on their butt is for- place for a little encouraging shove! 😁

·
Super Moderator
21,688 Posts
Looks like a Doberman to me!

As to the question of "American verses European" - you'd really need to see her pedigree to see the lineage of the dogs in it. Visually looking at her isn't a great way to tell the answer to that, despite what the internet might have you believe.

Stick around...we love new members and there's a lot of great information around here!

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
She looks like she has all of her blood but their could be a cut that I'm not seeing. ;) She also looks full doberman too. As MC mentioned, it's very hard to tell between Ambred and Euro.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forum! Your sweet girl definitely looks like she's 100% doberman. Since the potential genetic health problems increase quite a bit when getting a dog from a backyard breeder, I highly recommend getting the Embark "Breed & Health" genetic screening done. It can be a little expensive ($199), but Embark regularly has discounts and promo codes. Currently they have a $40 off coupon. We got our female European Doberman from a highly reputable breeder that provided health information for both parents, but we still chose to do the Embark test anyway. Having detailed health information on hand gave me such a sense of security moving forward. The Embark testing give you the ability to prepare yourself for things that might be coming down the road, which will allow you to keep an eye out for signs and symptoms for potential problems.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,869 Posts
I must say I disagree with that to some extent--most genetic tests won't tell you much about the future health of a doberman puppy--the exception being a genetic test for vonWillebrand's. Almost all of the genes commonly looked for in the genetic panels that are out there are for conditions that are not present in dobermans.

You may have heard of DCM1 and DCM2 genetic tests, but they do not predict heart disease well (DCM appears to have many genes involved--a positive DCM1 or 2 dog may not develop DCM; a negative dog still can) and are basically just for research purposes at this point.

There are a few other tests that can be done if you are thinking of breeding your dog (so you can make sure not to breed two carriers together), but which won't tell you much about a particular puppy's health. A breeder may run tests for DINGS in his breeding pair to check for carrier status, for example, and to avoid the possibility of DINGS puppies in their planned litter. But when a puppy is actually born with it you will know. Those puppies are generally deaf and have various neurological problems. If your puppy seems to be normal in that respect, you are not likely to have a problem.

Degenerative Myelopathy is another--you would not want to breed two carriers together. But unless you see symptoms in your dog, there isn't much you can do to treat him differently. So knowing the genetic status of your ordinary pet dog who has no symptoms isn't particularly useful.

You should get genetic vWD test done. (see links below) If that is the only genetic testing you do on your dog, it will be quite a bit cheaper than an entire panel, more like $65 to $95.

VetGen: Veterinary Genetic Services - Canine - List of Services - Doberman Pinscher Dilated Cardiomyopathy (DCM)-DOB Panel Testing

www.vetnostic.com/doberman-pinscher.html

Apart from genetic tests, though, a breeder should have tested his dogs for hip and elbow dysplasia (one time X-rays), yearly liver and thyroid function (blood tests) and yearly tests for heart disease (a 24 hour holter and echocardiogram) BEFORE breeding his dogs (ideally in the previous 6 months.) It is not likely your breeder has done that. But there are no effective and reliable genetic tests for any of those

You should do yearly checkups for these problems once your pup is mature (you can wait 2-3 years before starting the yearly tests for thyroid and heart disease; the pup also needs to be at least 2 before the hip and elbow dysplasia tests).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Looks full blooded to me and super cute. I'm a stickler for dew claw removal so IMO it's too bad they didn't remove them when they docked the tails. I agree with Melbrod about the health tests and Spocksdad about going potty in the rain. You will love her long soft ears, much less intimidating to non Doberman people.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts