Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anyone Familiar with Cantera Ranch Breeder--My dog's sire killed his owner/breeder

Help!!! We have a male Doberman who is 11 months old. We have had him since he was 4 months old. We purchased him from La Cantera Ranch in Valley View Tx for a pretty penny. We were told he was sired by Tom-Dober Iglo Jr out of Hungary. I found out today that the champion blood line sire attacked and killed his owner/breeder whom we bought our dog from. The breeders are a mother and daughter and the mother was killed. We paid so much for our dog because we were told the blood lines were awesome and that they were well socialized with children. We have four small children. We love our dog dearly and have seen no aggression towards any members of our family. However, we left him with friends in Aug while we went on vacation and he bit their 3 year old. We were shocked and at the time chalked it up to the child possibly hurting our dog because he is so good with our kids. Now I find out what happend with his sire and I'm worried about the safety of my family. We are terribly upset about the thought of getting rid of our family member but I do not want risk the safety of my kids. Should we be worried? This is our first Doberman and I'm so upset. Please help!!! Also, upset to find this out on the Internet and was not notified by the daughter/breeder.

I bought a pup from them about 7 months ago and I just found out via Internet that the sire of my dog attacked and killed one of the owner/ breeders. I'm freaking out!

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
Help!!! We have a male Doberman who is 11 months old. We have had him since he was 4 months old. We purchased him from La Cantera Ranch in Valley View Tx for a pretty penny. We were told he was sired by Tom-Dober Iglo Jr out of Hungary. I found out today that the champion blood line sire attacked and killed his owner/breeder whom we bought our dog from. The breeders are a mother and daughter and the mother was killed. We paid so much for our dog because we were told the blood lines were awesome and that they were well socialized with children. We have four small children. We love our dog dearly and have seen no aggression towards any members of our family. However, we left him with friends in Aug while we went on vacation and he bit their 3 year old. We were shocked and at the time chalked it up to the child possibly hurting our dog because he is so good with our kids. Now I find out what happend with his sire and I'm worried about the safety of my family. We are terribly upset about the thought of getting rid of our family member but I do not want risk the safety of my kids. Should we be worried? This is our first Doberman and I'm so upset. Please help!!! Also, upset to find this out on the Internet and was not notified by the daughter/breeder.
Is there an article or a link to this story?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Wow! That's very sad and I'm sorry you're in this position. Given the sire's issues and the fact that your dog bit a 3 year old, I would have him evaluated immediately by a competant professional trainer. I honestly would never trust a dog that had an aggressive parent and already had a bite history. I understand that you love your dog, but you can't risk the safety of your children. Tell us where you are located and odds are someone can give you the name of a good trainer. Until then, I would be extremely careful with him around your family.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! That's very sad and I'm sorry you're in this position. Given the sire's issues and the fact that your dog bit a 3 year old, I would have him evaluated immediately by a competant professional trainer. I honestly would never trust a dog that had an aggressive parent and already had a bite history. I understand that you love your dog, but you can't risk the safety of your children. Tell us where you are located and odds are someone can give you the name of a good trainer. Until then, I would be extremely careful with him around your family.
I'm in the Dallas area. Google valley view woman killed in dog attack. Or La Cantera ranch Dobermans.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Genetics don't determine everything but I would be watchful of your dog's behaviour and ensure that you are participating in training classes with a trainer who is familiar with strong working breeds.

If you start acting afraid of your dog I can 100% guarantee that it will be extremely detrimental to the dog's temperament.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Back in Aug after he bit our friends daughter we immediately took him to our vet to be evaluated as well as neutered. Vet said he was fine. I have been on guard but recently have felt comfortable. Then today I find out about the sire and the death. The terribly hard part is that if I had no knowledge of the two incidents I would tell you I have the sweetest, most intelligent dog I've ever owned! We love this dog like our 5th child. On the other hand I do not want to risk the safety of my family even if there is a one percent chance. What do I do???? I'm so sad!!!

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Well who knows what happened. Have you talked to the daughter yet? At this point I wouldn't jump to conclusions.

But just because your dog is good with YOUR kids does not mean he will be good with others. Has he been around other peoples children much? Has he had any other episodes of bad behavior? What did you do if anything after he bit the child? Did you have him evaluated then? Training? Medical?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have sent an email to her. I'm so sad for her that she lost her mother and I do not want to seen insensitive but I need to know. Have not heard back from her yet. All I know is that she was watering the dogs and he attacked her and she had deep bites to her head and neck. We took our dog to the vet to be neutered and evaluated. Vet said he was fine and it was the parents fault for not having child respect the dog. She was supposedly climbing on him all week. They were dog sitting while we were out of town. Yes, this family and and many other families with kids have been around our dog. I felt like I was in the twilight zone when I heard of the event.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Oh my God, what a horrible thing to have happened. I agree with the suggestions above, that if you are worried, to seek out a Board Certified Veterinary Behaviorist.

Unfortunately, if it was just the breeder and her dogs, no witnesses, there's no way to know what happened. Also, if the dog was tested only for rabies and didn't have a blood panel and his thyroid checked, things like that, there's no way to know if he wasn't profoundly ill and that's what caused the attack.

Train your dog, love your dog, and keep an eye on things. I'm not sure regarding the legal question of whether you should have been notified.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
I read the article, nice that he tested negative for rabies before being PTS, would like to know if they looked any further. A friend's male started showing aggression after age 2, towards dogs and people, about 14 months later he was diagnosed with a brain tumor.
I can understand your concern. You have taken the right steps. But I wouldn't automatically assume he will become violent b/c of his sire. You don't know the circumstances that lead to this tragedy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can look up the sires's pedigree we were told they paid $10,000 for him. We paid $3k for ours. I know money does not mean everything but we were willing to pay that much trying to get a well rounded sain dog that we were told was raised around children. I did research and was referred to them from another well respected breeder here in town. She did not have pups so we did not buy from her.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Elizabeth, I agree! If the only issue was his sirei wouldn't be as worried but the combination between sire and him biting our friends daughter has me worried! But again... As far as our family is concerned he's awesome!!! Just trying to find out from more experienced dog owners if I'm being reckless keeping him with my small children. Thanks everyone!!!

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I'm sorry but La Cantera Ranch is not a breeder I would give money to for a pup or ever consider reputable. The pedigree's consist of Kimbertal, Britton Farms, HoH.

Again, sorry you're going through this. I would have him evaluated and continue with his training.

You can look up the sires's pedigree we were told they paid $10,000 for him. We paid $3k for ours. I know money does not mean everything but we were willing to pay that much trying to get a well rounded sain dog that we were told was raised around children. I did research and was referred to them from another well respected breeder here in town. She did not have pups so we did not buy from her.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
The bloodlines on these particular dogs, coupled with the sire's incident, and your own puppy's bite history, would really concern me.

Aren't these dogs of Britton Farms and Kimbertal lines?

I don't think anyone can really advise you productively over the 'net.

It's very sad to see breeders perpetuating these types of lines, and then families like yours end up with lots of heartbreak and very hard decisions to make, lots of risk to take. I'm sorry.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm sorry to sound ignorant what what does that mean? Kimbertal farms etc.. How do you know they are not a breeder? Do u know anything else about La Cantera? Why were their pups $3000? We saved and saved and saved to buy him. He was way out of our budget but we felt that we did not need to take a short cut on quality where our family was concerned. Man! I feel really stupid. I thought I did my homework!!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Tom Dober is largely a show kennel. They usually put the minimum work title to breed the dog then focus on shows. I would question whether or not the dog was provoked or mistreated in some way.

There was a well known German Dobermann from much more intense working lines that attacked his owner and I've never heard of any of his (many) offspring having temperamental issues. Nonetheless get your dog looked at by a good behaviorist, given his age any problems he might have should be able to worked through by a good behaviorist.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts