Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to this and I was just wondering whether it is too late for my dog's left ear to ever stand. He is nearly 10 months old and I have not been posting his left ear or both for that matter as his brother was sold to someone else and they attempted to post his ears and he lost them as they posted incorrectly and as a result the poor dog lost his ears.

Because of this I got scared and I didn't post my dogs ears at all. When i bought my dog he was 5 months old. I've read through most of these posts online for information but I thought I'd post my own thread on here and put a picture of my dog on here too if it will allow me to upload one.

I have tried to post my dogs ears but he shakes his head and I don't even know if I'm doing it correctly. He doesn't like anything going inside his ear but I've ordered some backer rod and may try that method along side using the breathe strips.

I've also been giving him calcium tablets regularly for months as he's been teething and I've also read that this too could make ears weak. I've noticed that his right ear feels very solid and strong in terms of it's texture but the left just flops. It does go up every now and then if he gets excited but it can also flop the other way so the ear lays on his head. It simply does not stand at all and has a crease in the middle of the ear.

I would be very upset if he was to remain like this and I am prepare to post when ever needed providing I do it carefully and correctly if there is still time to do this.

As I said, he's ears haven't been posted for months...

He'll be 10 months old in a couple of weeks from now and I'm hoping it isn't too late.

Anyway please take a look at our boy Merlin and gives us your thoughts. Any advice information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Welcome to DT. Sorry to read you have having troubles. That is why good breeders do ears before the puppies leave and then are there to help you through the posting time. There are several good videos on youtube. Just do a search, but at this point with a crease I would say the cartilage is broken and it does not fix itself. There is a small window of time that can't be missed if you want those beautiful ears to stand. I never recommend calcium for a Doberman puppy - Vitamin C is much better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If the cartilage is broken will the ear still stand at all ? As I mentioned it sometimes does stand but is so weak it will generally fall within seconds.

I'm just wondering whether there is still hope for my beautiful doberman

1 - 3 of 3 Posts