Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy buckets my dog sticks and it's not gas! She just stinks in general like the nastiness(is that even a word) is just seeping out of her coat and it's hard to have her in the house let alone on the couch with us which is where she really wants to be....

Any tips to help this would be very much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
How well does bathing her work?

What is she eating? a few people on here have had their dogs smell very foul on certain foods

Any chance she rolled in something "special"?

How long has she smelled? anything memorable she did or ate about the time it started?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She has stank since the day that we brought her home, I can give her a bath (which is pretty much torture) and by the end of the day she stinks again.

She is currently on Purina Pro Plan and we have been trying to add in Blue buffalo trying to make the switch to that but it doesn't look like that is going to work out I can't give her very much BB or she has really bad diarrhea so we are back at square one with food again. Thinking about either going with TOTW or Kirkland puppy food.

She just smells like a dirty stinky dog I don't really know how to explain it, but I may have to start giving her a bath every other day or I might die

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
if you look up coconut oil for dogs it helps with deodorizing among dozens of other things.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Sniff at her mouth, and see if that's where it's coming from... often, teething will be accompanied by by an unpleasant coppery odor. If it's not coming from that end, sniff around the opposite end... anal gland issues can cause very unpleasant odors. If it is not more pronounced at either end, sniff at her skin... bacterial or fungal skin infections may cause a dog to smell unpleasant, as can some foods.

Does EVERYONE agree that your dog reeks? One time, a woman in the store was looking at shampoos and deodorizing sprays and perfumes and such... she said her dog smelled HORRIBLE... so horrible and disgusting that she couldn't stand it! It turned out she lived close, so I suggested she go home and get the dog and bring it back, which she did. I sniffed all over the dog, and it smelled just the least little bit like a healthy clean dog... there was practically no scent at all!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
She has stank since the day that we brought her home, I can give her a bath (which is pretty much torture) and by the end of the day she stinks again.

She is currently on Purina Pro Plan and we have been trying to add in Blue buffalo trying to make the switch to that but it doesn't look like that is going to work out I can't give her very much BB or she has really bad diarrhea so we are back at square one with food again. Thinking about either going with TOTW or Kirkland puppy food.

She just smells like a dirty stinky dog I don't really know how to explain it, but I may have to start giving her a bath every other day or I might die
How do other dogs smell to you, dogs which haven't been bathed in the last few days?

If she is having loose stools, you might possibly be feeding too much.

Bathing her every other day really isn't good for her, but I am guessing that you know that...

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Sniff at her mouth, and see if that's where it's coming from... often, teething will be accompanied by by an unpleasant coppery odor. If it's not coming from that end, sniff around the opposite end... anal gland issues can cause very unpleasant odors. If it is not more pronounced at either end, sniff at her skin... bacterial or fungal skin infections may cause a dog to smell unpleasant, as can some foods.

Does EVERYONE agree that your dog reeks? One time, a woman in the store was looking at shampoos and deodorizing sprays and perfumes and such... she said her dog smelled HORRIBLE... so horrible and disgusting that she couldn't stand it! It turned out she lived close, so I suggested she go home and get the dog and bring it back, which she did. I sniffed all over the dog, and it smelled just the least little bit like a healthy clean dog... there was practically no scent at all!
I agree with everything said, Odin at one point had the copper smell from teething and he also had the anal gland smell as well. Whenever that was the case I would take him and put him in the tub and do his anal glands. After that he would smell a lot better.

·
Registered
793 Posts
shadow your pup is way too young to start messing around with the anal glands, once you start doing that you almost can never stop and most dogs don't ever need that done unless they are infected. I'm not a big proponent of secreting anal glands. They push that all the time in the grooming shops out here and they really shouldn't you can do more harm than good if its not done correctly (I'm not implying that you are not doing it correctly,just saying it doesn't usually need to be done on healthy dogs with no existing gland problems) As for the smell, I know exactly what she is describing. Our pup has it too. When the smell is really bad I use lambert kays fresh and clean shampoo on her because thats the only shampoo that the smell lasts for days and we've had the best luck with it. When she doesn't smell that bad then I'll use buddy wash which is all natural or color block which is a very mild natural color enhancer shampoo for dogs. If you use the fresh and clean and follow it up with the matching cologne, its a really light clean scent, it really cuts back on the doggie odor. I think its just a puppy thing, or maybe a dobe thing, who knows, my other dogs never smelled like this and they are all on pro plan now so I can't even blame the food. I do feel your pain though, the stink is horrible at times.

·
Registered
675 Posts

When you brought her home did you take her to your Vet for a puppy check up since you said she has smelled from the first day you brought her home.

If not, it would be a good idea to do it now and bring a stool sample to make sure she hasn't picked anything up. Let your Vet know about the smell; and, see what He/She
says.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
shadow your pup is way too young to start messing around with the anal glands, once you start doing that you almost can never stop and most dogs don't ever need that done unless they are infected. I'm not a big proponent of secreting anal glands. They push that all the time in the grooming shops out here and they really shouldn't you can do more harm than good if its not done correctly (I'm not implying that you are not doing it correctly,just saying it doesn't usually need to be done on healthy dogs with no existing gland problems) As for the smell, I know exactly what she is describing. Our pup has it too. When the smell is really bad I use lambert kays fresh and clean shampoo on her because thats the only shampoo that the smell lasts for days and we've had the best luck with it. When she doesn't smell that bad then I'll use buddy wash which is all natural or color block which is a very mild natural color enhancer shampoo for dogs. If you use the fresh and clean and follow it up with the matching cologne, its a really light clean scent, it really cuts back on the doggie odor. I think its just a puppy thing, or maybe a dobe thing, who knows, my other dogs never smelled like this and they are all on pro plan now so I can't even blame the food. I do feel your pain though, the stink is horrible at times.
I know what you mean, I knew it had to be done because just a bath wouldn't do the trick. I have had 8 dogs and had 3 dog jobs, volunteered at a vet office for a summer so I knew that I wouldn't be doing any harm. I had to do it only a couple of times and it was because the food he was on was causing him to not have solid poops so it was secreting the glands on its own. Once I switched from Acana to TOTW I have never had to do it again because his poops firmed up again.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Well..just throwing this out there. I'm not a vet (I'm a groomer actually lol), but I have worked in a vet's office, and it was pretty common practice for the vet to express the anal glands and recommend it being done at least regularly (not necessarily every week or something), to avoid them becoming impacted or having other problems. I've seen quite a few dogs with anal glands becoming so full and impacted that they rip open/burst/whatever you want to call it.

Expressing anal glands is not really that difficult a process (with some exceptions of course), and a vet can do them with very minimal risk. (indeed I'd recommend having a vet do it if you don't know what you're doing)

Again, I'm not a vet, but the vet i worked for /did/ believe that it was important to express a dog's anal glands.

Many dogs do express their own anal glands on a regular basis, which sometimes isn't the most pleasant think for their owners, who get to watch their dog scooting their butt on the carpet or just randomly leaving that 'wonderful' aroma.

I do agree that a puppy is a little young to be having problems or stench related to anal glands though..
Like I said in my above post it was because the food he was on was causing him to have loose stools and the glands were not expressing themselves, once I switched his stools firmed up and never had to do it again. One of my jobs was a groomer as well where I had to do it on a regular basis to dogs that truly needed it and as well with the other 2 jobs which were doggy day cares. The places I worked didn't push it and didn't do it to all dogs that didn't need it.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I've never noticed a smell associated with our dobe except for the weird B.O. smell from her ears being wrapped up for a week at a time. I use a drop of tea tree oil on a cotton ball and wipe down the inside- the oil is a natural disinfectant and antibacterial and has a pleasant 'clean' smell to it. You can find it at any store that has a pharmacy section. Just as a word of caution, don't let the dog ingest it, it's not safe for consumption.

·
Registered
793 Posts
well as a groomer myself for many years it just irks me when i see them pushing it in the grooming shops today like it should be done to all dogs routinely. Its wrong on so many levels. I can see a vet doing it if its trully needed but still there would have to be some strong infection or a real problem for me to consent to ever having it done. I would NEVER allow anyone, vet or otherwise, to just suggest doing it for the sake of doing it. Its a self secreting gland and they pop it like a pimple and once you start draining those glands manually they almost always fill back up over time and you need to have the process done over and over again. Kind of makes you wonder if they suggest doing it to get you to come back and pay more to have it done again. Anal gland expression almost always gty's required repeat visits.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
maybe have her thyroid checked, my bf's Scottish Terrier had a thyroid problem and he was stinky all the time because of it, yeast infection on the skin can do something with smell as well.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
Is she itchy? Does she feel greasy at all? Any small bumps on her? Have you smelled in her ears? Does it smell yeasty?
So many things it could be... probably a vet visit is in order, it isnt normal to bath a dog everyday and doing that you may be making the problem worse.
I agree that i wouldnt touch the anal glands unless they are impacted or infected. Ewww i used to have cat who if you accidentally caught the comb in her thick fur on her tail she would squirt anal glad juice! I got it in the eye one day!!
Jed had impacted and infected anal glands that required antibiotics. We STILL dont regularily do his glands, only if he starts "scooting"

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
You dont happen to have a bulldog do you?!?! hahah just kidding :) I'm assuming she is mostly indoors....? What are you bathing her with? Have you had a checkup yet?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts