Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So whenever we take Tanner, Riddick and Timber anywhere ( Friends, dog park, pet store) Riddick our 5 year old red dobie throws fits when he wants to go home, Looses his manners, Jumps up everywhere, Starts pushing around the other dogs, Gets very dominant with timber (our lab) But if we leave him home he gets jealous and tries to beat up the other dogs too. At this point I don't know what to do, I have tried keeping him in his kennel, leash when we are out, leaving toys and treats home. It is just so odd to me that he has started doing this, he does obedience and agility and has his good canine citizen, But lately after being out of the house an hour he turns on the other dogs (never on me or my husband) I just dont know what to do any help would be appreciative.

P.S Thyroid is good he had a physical when this behavior started!

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Have you looked in the search about male on male aggression in Doberman s it is quite common does not matter if they a fixed or not if your lab is a male and your Doberman is a male never leave them alone together. No amount of training will fix it you just have to keep them separated if they ever do get in a fight you will have to keep them separated all the time or find one a new home.Usually you can have a female - male. sometimes female-female but a male- male usually does not work out.You have to be on your toes all the time and really study their body language. Good Luck

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I am aware of it! Unfortunatly my husband came home one day with a little chocolate bundle And there it all began a lab and a dobie less than a yr apart :/. They are all crated at night but the part I don't understand this only happens when we leave the house!

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Yes I am aware of it! Unfortunatly my husband came home one day with a little chocolate bundle And there it all began a lab and a dobie less than a yr apart :/. They are all crated at night but the part I don't understand this only happens when we leave the house!

Toby my Dobe and my Terrier, Russell, do not get on, it got so bad particularly during walks I had to take measures to keep them apart. (they had 4 almighty dust ups, that resulted in Russell needing to go to the vets for stitches). I now have to walk them seperately. I also have to keep them seperate at home. It isn't ideal but it saves both from getting into terrible trouble and my Terrier being ripped limb from limb.

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
Sounds like he might have some nervous energy and feel frustrated, and he acts out in response.

I would definitely be separating the males when you leave them home alone. Either crate them or put them in separate rooms. It sounds like you're asking for major problems by leaving them out together. You can't control or correct ANY behavior if you're not there when it's happening. Leaving them out and coming home to find what they've done is as good as useless. It's so much easier to prevent problems than it is to fix them.

Do you ever take the Dobe out alone and work with him on his manners? How do you handle the situation when you have them all out and he starts behaving obnoxiously?

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Good on you, for checking his thyroid straight off.

Was going to be my first suggestion.

I'd also probably want some baseline bloodwork and a tick panel run, just to rule other stuff out, if you haven't already done that.

Other than that, it sounds like time to go back to basics, training-wise, since he's acting out--and clearly over his threshold, when out and about with the other dogs.

Do you have Leslie McDevitt's book Control Unleashed? Some of the relaxation protocols and calming exercises in there may help you to manage his behavior and eventually raise his threshold some.

Click to Calm might also be a helpful one to read.

As already mentioned, some of this may indeed be part of his "genetic suitcase" and will end up being a management/risk control issue, rather than training, but those calming/control exercises can help with overall management of the behaviors.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are NEVER left alone unsupervised! Purely because i have seen Playing turn into fighting before, But when I say leave the house I mean as a family, When we go to the dog park or to a friends he targets timber and then goes for tanner. I understand this may be who he is, which is fine he always will have a home with me, I am just wondering if anyone has experiences with this.

brw1982: When riddick does this I put him in a `Down`and wait for him to calm down than allow timber back in than usually they are fine. It kind of seems like he is seeing how much he can get away with? if that makes any sense. Do you have any suggestions on how I can handle this differently?

RedFawnRising: We did a 4DX for anaplasmosis or lyme and a diagnostic health panel. Thank you for your book suggestions!

I try and give my dog a "mental" workout by going through our tricks and commands in the yard before we go anywhere but it seems to not be working

Reactions: RedFawnRising

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By the way, This website is AMAZING I feel like I get more feedback here than from the behaviorist and vet I work for!~ Thank you guys~

Reactions: RedFawnRising

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
They are NEVER left alone unsupervised! Purely because i have seen Playing turn into fighting before, But when I say leave the house I mean as a family, When we go to the dog park or to a friends he targets timber and then goes for tanner. I understand this may be who he is, which is fine he always will have a home with me, I am just wondering if anyone has experiences with this.

brw1982: When riddick does this I put him in a `Down`and wait for him to calm down than allow timber back in than usually they are fine. It kind of seems like he is seeing how much he can get away with? if that makes any sense. Do you have any suggestions on how I can handle this differently?

RedFawnRising: We did a 4DX for anaplasmosis or lyme and a diagnostic health panel. Thank you for your book suggestions!

I try and give my dog a "mental" workout by going through our tricks and commands in the yard before we go anywhere but it seems to not be working
Well, you're on top of it, doing the 4DX as well.

Something you posted above might be really important, in the overall picture, and McDevitt would have a whole lot to say about it--and many suggestions.

And I'm referring to you putting him in a down-stay until he "calms down."

While this might actually work with some dogs, depending on why they were getting too ramped up, for your guy, if he's already over threshold, and then he's asked to perform an obedience task that is likely extremely hard for him due to his current level of arousal...well, that usually creates internal conflict, rather than calmness.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he shouldn't be able to do a down-stay when asked for, and it can be a good default behavior to get things quickly under some semblance of control, etc, etc.

It's just McDevitt opened my eyes to building relaxation as a *skill* and a very important life-skill, at that, in my dogs. There are ways to get to that nice, truly calm down-stay, that don't involve putting the dog's mental state in more conflict and tension, but it's kinda beyond the scope of a post on an internet forum--I really think you'd enjoy those CU DVDs and book.

Reactions: Tanner's

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I have two males which have never been aggressive towards each other yet, but I agree in taking very precaution possible.

When the dogs are out together and Ruper hasn't been well excersized before, he is just too 'much' for Tobey (my older collie mix) I find that it helps ALOT if me and rupert go out first to get some of that initial energy out, then I go and get tobey and is much better. I also take alot of time to train rupert on his own without tobey here.

Good luck! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts