Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dobie Chica is a rescue-we have had her for two months-we know she was fed very poorly (Old Roy), was way to skinny-she has put on a good deal of weight and still needs to put on a few more pounds, but we have feeding times (they always kept her bowl full with Old Roy -she ate very little, of course, but something tells me she was not eating much because her bowl was not always full)...
Anyway, we are feeding her whole foods to help her belly and help her gain weight...we boil a whole heritage chicken, So she gets the broth (about a half quart), about 4 ounces of chicken, about a cup of a rice, oatmeal and uncured, nitrate/nitrite free bacon ends mixture, along with homemade applesauce or bananas. She gets to have a short pipe bone that has marrow in it a few times a week, but does not always work for it to get it all out and now wants to have a new one, which we now refuse to do. We also make peanut butter, so she'll get some of that and also avocado once in a while.
I also mix extra water with her food as well.
She gets that every morning around 6:30-7 AM-ish and the same time in the evening.
I just gave her a little more rice mixture with the chicken broth...she is gaining weight, I know she is manipulative (she'll whine or start shivering, mouth and all, but only while I am looking-my husband notices she stops and just wags her tail if I am making her a treat or her food and will start shaking again if I look).
The point is, she is a Blue dobe, small boned and to me, she is eating plenty! The meals are about as much as an adult would eat!
I know she will hate it when we switch back (we've started to enter in the Blue Buffalo to eventually switch her to hard food again) to hard food (she'll get 2 cups in the morning and two cups in the evening along with a half can of wet food mixed with water to make a gravy at night), but to me-right now-she is eating plenty of food!
Is she just being manipulative -could she really be that hungry? Our old 140 pound (yes, his weight was a healthy weight for his breed) ate 5 cups of food a day with some wet food at night, pipe bones, etc...she has chews that are available as well, but she will even try to steal our food...
So...does everyone agree I am giving her a good amount of food...or can she seriously still be that hungry?
Ideas? Thoughts?
Thank you!!:confused:

·
Bazinga!
4,534 Posts
Every dog is a little different in regards to nutritional needs. That being said
4 oz of boiled chicken is not enough. Even twice a day. Bacon ends are mostly fat and adding in high fat avocado and peanut butter and you're putting her at risk for pancreatitis.

She needs more protein!

Dogs need protein, occasional carbs is ok providing the dog tolerates it but you're currently feeding a lot in comparison to the amount of protein She's taking in. If you're going to feed home cooked, you need to balance it much better.
Check out dr Karen Becker's book she has some good recipes for home cooking
Also not a fan of blue buffalo foods, lots of digs end up having GI issues on it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My dobie Chica is a rescue-we have had her for two months-we know she was fed very poorly (Old Roy), was way to skinny-she has put on a good deal of weight and still needs to put on a few more pounds, but we have feeding times (they always kept her bowl full with Old Roy -she ate very little, of course, but something tells me she was not eating much because her bowl was not always full)...
Anyway, we are feeding her whole foods to help her belly and help her gain weight...we boil a whole heritage chicken, So she gets the broth (about a half quart), about 4 ounces of chicken, about a cup of a rice, oatmeal and uncured, nitrate/nitrite free bacon ends mixture, along with homemade applesauce or bananas. She gets to have a short pipe bone that has marrow in it a few times a week, but does not always work for it to get it all out and now wants to have a new one, which we now refuse to do. We also make peanut butter, so she'll get some of that and also avocado once in a while.
She gets that every morning around 6:30-7 AM-ish and the same time in the evening.
I just gave her a little more rice mixture with the chicken broth...she is gaining weight, I know she is manipulative (she'll whine or start shivering, mouth and all, but only while I am looking-my husband notices she stops and just wags her tail if I am making her a treat or her food and will start shaking again if I look).
The point is, she is a Blue dobe, small boned and to me, she is eating plenty! The meals are about as much as an adult would eat!
I know she will hate it when we switch back (we've started to enter in the Blue Buffalo to eventually switch her to hard food again) to hard food (she'll get 2 cups in the morning and two cups in the evening along with a half can of wet food mixed with water to make a gravy at night), but to me-right now-she is eating plenty of food!
Is she just being manipulative -could she really be that hungry? Our old 140 pound (yes, his weight was a healthy weight for his breed) ate 5 cups of food a day with some wet food at night, pipe bones, etc...she has chews that are available as well, but she will even try to steal our food...
So...does everyone agree I am giving her a good amount of food...or can she seriously still be that hungry?
Ideas? Thoughts?
avocado is poisonous to dogs

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I actually feed my dogs a grain free food-It's like Blue Buffalo, but is actually a lot better in a lot of ways-the bacon ends I use is actually cut from the fat-it is not the whole Pork Belly, so i do cut the fat off of it-it's chunks of the actual pork meat-I'm pretty careful with that part of it fat wise. I was feeding this as per the vet's advice-I had to do this with my last Dobe, with Boiled chicken, rice and apples/bananas when his belly got yucked up, but the mixture I'm feeding right now was on that advice to get her to gain some weight, since she was only 40 pounds when we got her. I thought the protein was kindof small, but she said 8-10 ounces of chicken meat was appropriate, along with the ounce or two of the pork that she is getting with her rice mixture twice a day. She also receives vitamins (a Multi-Vitamin and Glucosomine/Chondrotin vitamins) twice a day as well. We just needed to get some weight on her, but this seemed like a good amount and there is marrow and protein in the broth also.
Thank you for the reply! I look forward to any more replies, as I have asked the vet again and am supposed to just stick with it, but something just does not seem right.
Thank you for your reply

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
avocado is poisonous to dogs
The plant, seed, rind is poisonous, but small amounts of avocado may be poisonous to some dogs, but not all. Large amounts of advocado is not good for for any animals, but small amounts are good for them (depending on the animal). It is also good for their skin.
Somebody tried to tell me that coconut oil was bad/poisonous for them also, but it isn't-it's actually good for them.
Several vets have told me this and when she gets some avocado, it's about a tablespoon once in a while.
Thank you for pointing that out-I know that Hass avocado in particular is what I was told to give them once in a while, but I'll ask again and it is not a big deal to cut it out.
Example-http://www.avodermnatural.com/About/why_avocados.htm

·
Bazinga!
4,534 Posts
Well, I actually feed my dogs a grain free food-It's like Blue Buffalo, but is actually a lot better in a lot of ways-the bacon ends I use is actually cut from the fat-it is not the whole Pork Belly, so i do cut the fat off of it-it's chunks of the actual pork meat-I'm pretty careful with that part of it fat wise. I was feeding this as per the vet's advice-I had to do this with my last Dobe, with Boiled chicken, rice and apples/bananas when his belly got yucked up, but the mixture I'm feeding right now was on that advice to get her to gain some weight, since she was only 40 pounds when we got her. I thought the protein was kindof small, but she said 8-10 ounces of chicken meat was appropriate, along with the ounce or two of the pork that she is getting with her rice mixture twice a day. She also receives vitamins (a Multi-Vitamin and Glucosomine/Chondrotin vitamins) twice a day as well. We just needed to get some weight on her, but this seemed like a good amount and there is marrow and protein in the broth also.
Thank you for the reply! I look forward to any more replies, as I have asked the vet again and am supposed to just stick with it, but something just does not seem right.
Thank you for your reply

Please keep in mind a lot of vets have very little training in regards to nutrition.

8-10 oz of protein a day is less than half what I feed my dog, yes he eats mostly protein but perhaps Dr Becker's or Steve browns books would help you and the dog out more.

Marrow while good for dogs in certain amounts, again you're adding more fat on top of the high fat items you're already serving. To me this could seriously be a recipe for disaster.

2 months of chicken and rice...not healthy!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Please keep in mind a lot of vets have very little training in regards to nutrition.

8-10 oz of protein a day is less than half what I feed my dog, yes he eats mostly protein but perhaps Dr Becker's or Steve browns books would help you and the dog out more.

Marrow while good for dogs in certain amounts, again you're adding more fat on top of the high fat items you're already serving. To me this could seriously be a recipe for disaster.

All together, she is receiving about 15 ounces of proteina day, which I agreed, seemed small-but like I said, I also mix in hard food as well-the Chicken, rice, banana mix is actually what is suggested by all vets and dog nutritionists to help the transition to different foods and to help stomach upset. She is not just getting chicken and rice. Also, I cut the fat off of the pork-it is not as much fat as you are thinking-she is not getting a lot of saturated fats at all and I know regular vets do not know a lot about nutrition-at least most of them don't, but I do actually talk to the nutritionist as well. Her reasoning behind this was the fact she had been eating so little, eating very poor quality food when we got her and she was all skin and bones. She gets check ups as well. The marrow bones are small, about two inches long and she doesn't get them constantly. I will check out the books, thank you, but I am anal and careful with what I feed my animals, I was just curious what the thoughts were on the fact that she still seems hungry-so I'll add more protein, then and make another appointment and/or call to speak to the nutritionist on the phone.

·
Bazinga!
4,534 Posts
She needs a better balanced diet... if this is 'vet nutritionist' recommended you need a new one.

Just to clarify, I can understand a restricted diet for medical reasons or for short term while introducing food to a starving dog, but long term and what you're feeding is not healthy by any stretch of the imagination.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,065 Posts
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying--it seems to me that you keep changing your diet description and quantities.

You said she was 40 pounds when you got her--where on the scale of dangerously malnourished thin to just skinny would you have said she was, taking into account her size and bone structure? How much does she weigh now? Does she still look thin to you? Is she still a growing pup, or a mature dog?

Do you have pictures--before, and now?

How much dry food are you giving? Is what you are describing on top of a regular quantity of hard food? In order to gain weight, she will need more than she will need once she gets to a good weight, but of course you don't want to pack it all on at once.

If she is gaining weight at a rate you and your vet are satisfied with, and you are SURE she is getting enough protein, you could try green beans to help her fill her tummy without packing on too many calories at once.

It is true that dogs who have been starved will often act hungry even once they are a good weight--they will gobble their food voraciously and still act as if they are starving.

What is her poop like?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying--it seems to me that you keep changing your diet description and quantities.

You said she was 40 pounds when you got her--where on the scale of dangerously malnourished thin to just skinny would you have said she was, taking into account her size and bone structure? How much does she weigh now? Does she still look thin to you? Is she still a growing pup, or a mature dog?

Do you have pictures--before, and now?

How much dry food are you giving? Is what you are describing on top of a regular quantity of hard food? In order to gain weight, she will need more than she will need once she gets to a good weight, but of course you don't want to pack it all on at once.

If she is gaining weight at a rate you and your vet are satisfied with, and you are SURE she is getting enough protein, you could try green beans to help her fill her tummy without packing on too many calories at once.

It is true that dogs who have been starved will often act hungry even once they are a good weight--they will gobble their food voraciously and still act as if they are starving.

What is her poop like?
Yes-I have pictures-I did post pics of her when I first got her and all together her protein (chicken) is around 8-10 ounces and in the rice mixture, there is about 4 ounces of protein mixed into it, so all together with the mixture, that is the amount of protein she has. her poop was terrible and her farts were awful when we first got her, but now her poo is normal and she doesn't have bad doggy farts, her breath is nice and clean, but I never even thought about adding green beans.
They had said they could not get her to gain weight, but like I said, even though they said they kept her bowl full of Old Roy, there was no reason why she should have weighed about 40 pounds, so I believe she was starved or not fed appropriately. I also think they locked her up a lot because she could not even deal with not seeing us when we first got her-we had to watch her poo, she did not want to go outside and poo-watches us when we go outside into the laundry room and actually cried (still does) when we go in to do the laundry, even though she is outside the door watching us. She just acts like she is starving, but she eats her meals, we are anal with it-it's never too early or too late and if we have to go out and she comes with us, so does her bowls along with her food packaged up. She gets lovin' all of the time-she is doing very well now, but I was concerned if she was still hungry with what we are giving her. We are adding her hard food because we are going to transition her over to hard food instead of just stopping what we are doing. She'll get some wet food then with her hard food for dinner as well.
Yes, everyone seems to be happy with the weight she is putting on and at the rate she is putting on, although we all were hoping she would have had a bit more on by now.
If i can get her to stay still long enough, I'll post another pic of her today. She looks so much more healthier than she did, although she was always beautiful. They took her to the vet, I have her family tree papers and what not, she has all of her shots, she has a clean bill of health in every way, she just needed to put on weight-I just was wondering why she seemed so hungry-almost the way a lab will pig out as much as they possibly can! Green beans sounds like a good idea, so I will try that. Maybe steam them and give her a hald cup with each meal?

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Think it might be better to feed a good quality dog food http:Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble I agree veterinary's do not know that much about nutrition. A lot of vets push Science Diet food in my opinion is not that good of food.
When you feed a good quality food you feed less due to the fact it is usually a dense food does not have a bunch of fillers in it. Chicken and rice is usually fed when a dog is ill and fed only for a few days do not think it is meant to be fed all of the time. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Dogs with a healthy appetite can act like you never fed them 10 minutes ago. Chase is a healthy 87lbs right now and gets 1,200cal of kibble plus cottage cheese and a raw egg.

If you're eating, he acts like he has never been fed for weeks! Every time you walk into the kitchen I hear whining. If you allowed him to eat as much as he wanted I would have one very sick, bloated dog.

Bottom line is: acting hungry can be normal and should not be encouraged.

Have you thought of feeding her raw chicken instead of cooked? Do you have a high quality kibble in mind to transition her to?

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts

Why is a diet of chicken and rice unhealthy? It was also suggested by our vet... and both girls are doing really well on it along with Blue Basic.. they get an occasional scrambled egg.. cottage cheese, celery and of course green beans.. Thanks in advance for your reply...

·
Bazinga!
4,534 Posts
Ideas? Thoughts?
Why is a diet of chicken and rice unhealthy? It was also suggested by our vet... and both girls are doing really well on it along with Blue Basic.. they get an occasional scrambled egg.. cottage cheese, celery and of course green beans.. Thanks in advance for your reply...

Chicken and rice alone (bananas and applesauce...which the op initially stated she was feeding then added in other kibble) is missing in key nutrients. There is virtually very little nutritional value due to the cooking process. Short term it has been used to deal with GI issues. In chicken and rice there is No Taurine, no calcium, iodine... list goes on really. You lady Kate are also supplementing with foods the dog can draw nutrients from OP is not.

For some dogs it can take extended periods before the lack of essential nutrients catches up with them, Same as humans.

The chicken and rice diet is meant to be a bandaid. None of the K9 nutritionists I work with (nor would my vet) recommend chicken and rice long term without proper supplementation.

I'd also like to point out that once the OP got defensive things changed.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Thank you SieYa... Always interested in learning..... We were having issues with too much protein and Omega 3 and 6 with both our girls.. went to the States to PetSmart and talked with one of their kibble 'experts'. Knowing that we add chicken meat to every meal and trying to keep the sodium level at a minimum he suggested Blue Grain Free Basic. (A nutritionist just does not exist here in Baja...pet care of any kind is ify..so every suggestion I get from the Forum is taken seriously and valued!!!
Trying to keep the dogs balanced as Sofia( 9 years old) has heart and thyroid issues.. Bella is a street smart rescue who survived on Doritios and left over sandwich crusts for three months... so anything of nutritional value had to be introduced slowly. Appreciate your concern. Katie..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts