Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok today my dobie got out and killed the neighbors chickens. He trapped her in a small cage and told me if i didnt pay him 1000 for the damage she caused he was gonna shot her in the head. I understand that she is my responsibility and I want to pay for the damage but the price seems outrageous. He said the reason being was because they are fighting roosters and he charges 150-200 a piece. i told him i would pay but didnt have money on me and he said for me to get off his property it was his dog now and he was just going to shot her. I called the cops and animal control came and got her thank goodness but they wont release her to me unless we come to an agreement as neighbors or go to court. Im afraid to go to court cause i dont want her to be put down. But he is not being fair about the price he cant prove how many chickens or how many little cages were messed up by her plus fighting roosters is illegal. I am by no means making excuses for myself and am sorry i do want to pay but this guy was out of control. I do want to pay for damages but how do we get to settle on a price if he is incorporative 1000firm. i dont want my baby to sit in jail till we go through with the court since animal control is going to charge me everyday she is there. and this is only part of it. I live in South Texas what else can i do?

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
It's legal to raise fighting cocks as long as you don't fight them. So it sounds like he's got you over a barrel there.

I think it's probably best you pay him and be glad he didn't just shoot her and then sue you for damages, too.

Look, I feel bad for you. Maybe try to talk to him tomorrow after he cools off some. But, he might not cool off. We don't know about his lines of roosters and how long he's been working on the breeding. If he's got a lot of time into it or maybe something has happened where one or more can't be replaced, he's never going to calm down.

Best of luck to you, but if you make this difficult now, he's liable to kill her first chance he gets...poison or whatever.

Apologize, apologize, apologize...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am very grateful for him not shooting her he did have every right to if he did i would protect my dog if something was after them I just dont know what she killed if they even were roosters or just regular chickens which he has tons of he keeps saying he is going to kill my dogs weve been here over five years this is the first time she got out. Thanks for the advice i didnt know it was legal to raise them to fight. Weve always had issues with this neighbor over everuthing from a tree falling to a fence line.

·
Love the Nub
4,897 Posts
I'm so sorry you are going through that. And NO, your wacko neighbor DOES NOT have a right to shoot your dog. He sounds like he's a nightmare. I'm so sorry again you have to deal with him.

I would consult with an attorney. Texas has really cracked down on cockfighting or even the intent of cockfighting, and so have their more recent laws. Many times an attorney won't charge for merely a consult.

It would be illegal for me to advise or comment on any of the legalities of your situation, but please speak with an attorney in YOUR jurisdiction. I think you'll be happy you did.

Don't go off of anything your neighbor tells you.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
You can check with animal control to make sure about the roosters, but it really doesn't matter. Your dog did kill his chickens. I guess you could ask animal control if they saw the bodies. I don't know what else you can do besides pay since they won't release the dog till this is settled between you two.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Sounds like she is safe, but not where you'd like her to be. So you have to decide if it's worse for her to sit there or find a way to pay the $1,000. It's a difficult situation.

Unless there is a law about killing chickens, I don't think they can put her down. But I'd look into the laws ASAP.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I'm so sorry you are going through that. And NO, your wacko neighbor DOES NOT have a right to shoot your dog. He sounds like he's a nightmare. I'm so sorry again you have to deal with him.

I would consult with an attorney. Texas has really cracked down on cockfighting or even the intent of cockfighting, and so have their more recent laws. Many times an attorney won't charge for merely a consult.

It would be illegal for me to advise or comment on any of the legalities of your situation, but please speak with an attorney in YOUR jurisdiction. I think you might be happy you did. Don't go off of anything your neighbor tells you.
Since when isn't it legal to kill a dog that is killing your farm animals? I thought that was a no brainer.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
13,952 Posts

From what I understand, person does have the right to shoot a dog harassing or killing their livestock.

Gamecocks are also bred for showing. You still need proof that the birds are being fought, or trained to fight, for a cockfighting conviction. Just owning and breeding the birds is not illegal.

It would be illegal for me to advise or comment on any of the legalities of your situation, but please speak with an attorney in YOUR jurisdiction. I think you might be happy you did. Don't go off of anything your neighbor tells you.
You might want to have a meeting with either an attorney, arbitrator, or other third party present to come to an agreement on the compensation amount.

·
Love the Nub
4,897 Posts
Since when isn't it legal to kill a dog that is killing your farm animals? I thought that was a no brainer.
Nope. It could be justifiable, but it comes down to state laws, esp. regarding livestock, and other various factors.

I guess I should have said, he MAY not have a right to shoot the dog. I have to stay tight lipped in explaining further on this one. Sorry.

·
Love the Nub
4,897 Posts
From what I understand, person does have the right to shoot a dog harassing or killing their livestock.

It'll depend on state laws, esp. regarding livestock. I should have stated he "may" not have a right.

Gamecocks are also bred for showing. You still need proof that the birds are being fought, or trained to fight, for a cockfighting conviction. Just owning and breeding the birds is not illegal.

Correct. Owning and breeding is not illegal. Even if they aren't being fought or being trained, don't forget about "intent." Yes, proof of training would help to prove intent, and yes, intent is insanely difficult to prove.

The amount of money he is asking could be more than what a court would order, or there could be evidence to prove it is reasonable. Of course there are many missing details to determine any further, and I really can't break it down or explain any further on this one. It could wind up costing much more to battle it out though than paying the $1000, even if the amount isn't reasonable. Can't hurt to at least speak with an attorney and get an idea of how the applicable laws may apply to the facts of your specific situation OP. That's a tough situation because it sounds like prior to this incident, he was still a PITA. I wouldn't let your dog out of your site when you are able to take him home OP, and definitely not anywhere even near your neighbor or his property.

·
Banned
948 Posts
I am very grateful for him not shooting her he did have every right to if he did i would protect my dog if something was after them I just dont know what she killed if they even were roosters or just regular chickens which he has tons of .....
You can not put a price on another person's personal property loss, for example, his birds.

We know people who pay $10,000- $15,000 a parrot. And, up to $50,000 for a bonded pair. I would never pay $10K for a bird, but other people do in that market.

We know people who have one horse worth the price of a home- hundreds of thousands of US dollars.

So, his dead birds are worth whatever $ he is willing to take in reimbursement for you getting your pet dog back. Your dog killed the birds.

I know admitting fault is hard to. Sometimes, doing the right thing is hard, but you know deep down it is the right thing. Fighting in court, hiring an attorney, paying for dog pound boarding, paying for his property loss, anyway, and paying fines for not controlling your dog to the county can all add up, plus your time.
If I were you, I would offer to pay the $1K in good faith and apologize.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
My terriers once killed a neighbours goat. We were out for a walk and met up with them as we rounded a corner. Bham it happened so fast, of course it was his prize winning, best of millers yah di day di day when it came to compensation. But we had to pay. No ifs no buts, however because it was so large an amount we paid it in instalments, three to be exact. Perhaps this is something you could offer. I just don't know but whatever you do, when your dog gets home keep your a$$wipe neighbour clear away from your Dobe. He sounds a real jerk and if he breeds fighting birds then he is a sadistic piece of sh1t who cannot be trusted not to harm your Dobe.

Now I freely admit I am not qualified to give legal advice in the US. But I can express an opinion based on the law as it stands in the UK and from this you can research certain things.

Does your city allow chickens to be kept in your area in back yards?
What is the law regarding breeding of birds specifically for fighting?
Is his set up inspected by your animal welfare people?
Does he declare income from sale of birds?
Is it legal to sell birds bred for fighting?
Are his birds veterinary certified free from disease (this applies if he is selling them or their eggs in the UK).
Do the birds cause noise pollution or violate any health codes

This knowledge may not help you right now but it may in the future.

As well as finding out, carefully of course how popular he is with your other neighbours.

Folk who are involved in cock fighting are more likely to be involved in dog fighting too as well as drugs etc so his associates need be avoided. (in my opinion).

Reinforce your fence, never let your dog out without you being with him.

Whatever happens steer clear of this man, perhaps even consider moving.

Just a quick question, did your done break into cages to kill the chickens or just a pen?

·
59 Posts
Firstly you need to keep better control of your dog seeing as it hasn't been brung up to have any control over itself around animals. Unless you want her put down which depending on what else the dog is aggressive against might be the best option for both of you then you need to have eyes in the back of your head from now on and make sure there's no possible way for it to ever happen again, I think it'll be ok this time but not a second time.

Now to get your dog back. Go to court ASAP, at court be a gentle, loving, perfectly well mannered, upstanding citizen. Firstly say you're extremely sorry this tragic accident has occurred and explain how your dog is usually muzzled whenever you take her out and how well behaved she usually is. then explain how she was kept in a locked confined area completely sealed in but unfortunately something had broken the fence allowing her to escape, explain you expect she had gone over to the chickens in a nice way and then the roosters have attacked her and she's panicked and defensively killed them. Explain you have been told they were roosters specifically bred for fighting by the man in question himself (which is illegal you say) and this leads you to believe they had attacked your dog as she's not usually like that.

Now to deal with the compensation, this man needs evidence if he wants compensation, did anyone see how many chickens there was?
Say you will happily compensate the man for the standard price of a chicken for each chicken to be proved to of died from your dog, he cannot ask for more than the standard price by saying they were fighting chickens because he probably would have denied that already when you said he told you they were and that they'd probably attacked your dog first.

So the conclusion will be you get your dog back as you'd taken every step possible for it to not escape and are clearly a responsible owner. Compensation will be the going rate per chicken which is probably what about $20 each I suppose (chickens aren't pets and they clearly weren't for him, they're food and classed as livestock for eating). Plus he'll need evidence of how many there was so either a photograph or the word of the animal welfare people when they turned up and how many they saw.

Maybe you can explain all this to the animal welfare people and ask them to let him know if he wants to take you to court then he can (at his cost as it's a waste of time case and chickens aren't worth much) or you'll pay the going rate for chickens or replace them with proof of how many died. Also you sincerely apologise to him for the loss and hassle and promise you'll fix the fence immediately and this won't happen again.

You're not going to lose much over it in the court case and you can make yourself look like the better, more responsible animal owner this time, next time might be worse though just remember that for both yours an the dogs sake please.

HTH

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Why is everyone bashing the neighbour? He has every right to be pissed off! A dog at large just came onto his property and killed his chickens that were responsibly contained in cages. (I understand he raised them for cock fighting, I don't agree with that, but these are his livestock)

OP, man up and pay the neighbour. Make sure your dog never gets out again, that is your responsibility.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Why is everyone bashing the neighbour? He has every right to be pissed off! A dog at large just came onto his property and killed his chickens that were responsibly contained in cages. (I understand he raised them for cock fighting, I don't agree with that, but these are his livestock)

OP, man up and pay the neighbour. Make sure your dog never gets out again, that is your responsibility.
Everyone did not bash the neighbor.

·
sandy2233
2,480 Posts
In Wyoming, it is a state law that you can shoot a dog harassing or killing your livestock. If you have good neighbors, AC will fine them for having a dog running loose and for harassing livestock ($500. combined fine) This is county only. Find someway to pay the fine or the value of the chickens. If he can document what his "livestock" are worth, what he paid for them, whatever, you will lose. A neighbors dog got into our sheep and killed 20 of them. Their insurance company thought they were going to settle for $50. killer ewes. I had all our national sale advertising averages, all our advertising on State Fair and National results for our sheep, what we had paid for them, our announcements that we had purchased high selling rams or ewes at sales. They paid out over $500.00 per ewe. We had spent 20 years building up that flock with quality animals. Maybe this guy has too. And I will say, we tried being nice with neighbor dogs that were running the country and it got to be the nastiest thing we got involved with. So later on, it was shoot, shovel and shut up.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I bashed the neighbour I admit it, he is in my opinion a scumbag if he is breeding birds for fighting. Because you don't breed them for fighting if you are not involved in either the supply of birds for this purpose or he is doing it directly himself.

Yes, the dogs owner, (not the dog, he was following instinct so you cannot blame him), was at fault for the birds being killed.

And whilst I do not know the law on compensation in the US I would imagine the courts would insist the birds owner be recompensed for the loss of the chickens/roosters. Not sure anyone in their right mind would go into a court and claim, 'they were prize fighting cocks your honour' because unless Texas allows cock fighting I would have thought that could open a can of worms he won't be able to close. Animal Welfare, Police raids and so on. (it would in the UK).
However, they may well find for the Cock Breeding Neighbour against the Dobe Owner and order the Dobe owner to cough up what they deem is a reasonable sum. Now seeing as we are talking about your court system I do not doubt, pain and suffering and emotional trauma may come into play when it comes down to the end amount so maybe $1000 isn't as bad as it could end up being.

Of course the OP has to live with this guy, and whilst his demands do sound unreasonable it may be expedient if they pay up to simply keep the peace.

Now I personally think $1000 is a ridiculous sum for an undisclosed number of chickens, at this guys pricing the Dobe must have killed 6.6 recurring seeing as his highest price bird he claims he sells for $150. However, it is very easy for a dog to kill this number in a short period of time if they get into a hen coup so it may well be the Dobe did kill this many. However, to simply claim he did and not provide proof is a little unfair. But then if this guy is breeding birds for fighting, I doubt he is that honest and certainly in my opinion cannot be labelled an upright citizen. Most livestock owners when faced with such carnage do show the results to the offending dogs owner simply because it serves to teach them a lesson they remember better than the dog ever will, (if it hasn't been shot).

My own dogs have lived with Chickens all their lives, yet I cannot trust any of my dogs when I am entering the compound in which they live. I purposefully built a double gate system so that when I go in, if the dogs were to push past me they only get into a small enclosure to which the chickens have no access. Now I have tried just about everything known to man to try and get my dogs to leave my chickens alone. But fact is my Terrier just flips when he thinks he can get in. So does Reina although Toby isn't quite as bad, however, I do not trust him as far as I can throw him when it comes to Chickens.

It would be madness to do so.

Personally I do not think this matter will be resolved amicably.

If the dog owner doesn't pay he/she doesn't get her dog returned to her and heaven only knows what will happen. (not sure how legal it is that they keep the dog, as it surely is s civil matter not a criminal one, but heck knows what the law is like in her region).
If he/she doesn't pay the guy may hold a grudge that could well fester into something bigger.

If he/she pays, relationships with the neighbour are unlikely to improve seeing as the dog owner believes the sum to be exhorbitant.

And so on.

Maybe a third party could mediate but who that third party might be is anyones guess.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
your dog is lucky she was not shot, buried and you never would know for sure what happened to her.

work something out with your neighbor and thank him for not shooting your girl.

many years ago our family dog, a male lab disappeared.

we never found out what happened to him for about 10 years, then we heard that he had been shot along with a few other dogs on some ones property as they were in his chicken house killing chickens.

it happens.

Hugz to you and your girl and I hope things can be worked out.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Firstly you need to keep better control of your dog seeing as it hasn't been brung up to have any control over itself around animals. Unless you want her put down which depending on what else the dog is aggressive against might be the best option for both of you...Sent from Petguide.com Free App
This is as far as I read, in this post.

Um, are you for real? First, you have no idea, from the information the OP posted, just how the dog was "brung up," and secondly, apparently you are not aware that many highly trained dogs still possess something called prey drive.

The dog was loose, on its own recognizance. Finding an exciting game with caged chickens does not indicate a lack of or deficit in training, and to suggest so is patently ridiculous.

The dog may be highly trained, poorly trained, or not trained at all--we don't know, from the info posted. Regardless, many dogs will still act on instinct and prey drive.

As for suggesting euthanasia, based on one fluke instance of killing livestock, good lord, that's just ridiculous, as well.

your dog is lucky she was not shot, buried and you never would know for sure what happened to her.

work something out with your neighbor and thank him for not shooting your girl.

many years ago our family dog, a male lab disappeared.

we never found out what happened to him for about 10 years, then we heard that he had been shot along with a few other dogs on some ones property as they were in his chicken house killing chickens.

it happens.

Hugz to you and your girl and I hope things can be worked out.
I would thank the neighbor too, for not shooting or otherwise disposing of your dog.

I'd likely do a quick consult with an attorney, pay them a small fee to draft a letter for you, offering to compensate him and requesting documentation of the value of the birds, number killed, etc.

Get it settled quick, and get your girl out of there.

AC is often rife with disease--I hope her vaccines are up to date and that you get in writing she will not be euth'd if she becomes ill while there. Beyond the stress she's going thru, there are other dangers lurking at an AC facility.

Good luck, hope you get this sorted, and never let that pup loose again.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts