Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doberman was recently (6 months ago) diagnosed with lymes disease. He is doing much better now since his medication treatment.

Does anyone have any experience with lymes disease?

I notice he does not have the energy he use to and licks his paws after playing to much, like his joints hurt.

Hes 4 years old now.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
What was he put on, Doxycycline?

I can tell you as a human who's had two bouts with it, 'taint no fun at all :(

Does your vet think he's cleared the bacteria, now?

·
Aggressive Female
3,720 Posts
Elsa had lyme disease, her C6 levels were the highest my vet has ever seen... being above 600. The only time I saw her with symptoms was when she was three-legged on and off for a few days. She wasn't painful, and it went away shortly. I figured she fell on it from running like an idiot like she always does.

I then had her blood sent out because I wanted her to be a blood donor. That's when I found out she was lyme positive.

We put her on Doxy and her levels dropped dramatically and she was able to become a blood donor... she saved a dog's life that came in a couple weeks after giving blood.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Elsa had lyme disease, her C6 levels were the highest my vet has ever seen... being above 600. The only time I saw her with symptoms was when she was three-legged on and off for a few days. She wasn't painful, and it went away shortly. I figured she fell on it from running like an idiot like she always does.

I then had her blood sent out because I wanted her to be a blood donor. That's when I found out she was lyme positive.

We put her on Doxy and her levels dropped dramatically and she was able to become a blood donor... she saved a dog's life that came in a couple weeks after giving blood.
Thanks for the post. I take it this is something that doesn't stay around for life then sense she was able to donate blood? How did she end up with lyme disease ? Doesn't this come from ticks?Sorry to ask stupid questions .

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
...she was three-legged on and off for a few days. She wasn't painful, and it went away shortly...
Erm, why do you think she was "three-legged," if she was not painful?

OP, how long a course of abs was your dog put on?

Reactions: wantsaDobe

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doxy was the meds he took

Yes they did put him on doxy it seemed to work.

and yes it froms ticks. I actually pulled the tick off him in the summer and a few months later he lost all kinds of weight and was limping too.

But since taking the meds will he be able to live a full life?

Hes himself again but less energy.

He loves his 45 minute walks but he takes a big long nap when we get back.

·
Aggressive Female
3,720 Posts
Erm, why do you think she was "three-legged," if she was not painful?

OP, how long a course of abs was your dog put on?
erm, because she wasn't painful to the touch.
she was uncomfortable, but I manipulated her leg and she was putting pressure on it off and on. I gave her some meds after consulting with the veterinarian I work for and it went away. But thank you for thinking I would not be concerned if my dog was in pain or not.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts

and yes it froms ticks. I actually pulled the tick off him in the summer and a few months later he lost all kinds of weight and was limping too.

Did you repeat the bloodwork?

He may need another course of antibiotics.

erm, because she wasn't painful to the touch.
she was uncomfortable, but I manipulated her leg and she was putting pressure on it off and on. I gave her some meds after consulting with the veterinarian I work for and it went away. But thank you for thinking I would not be concerned if my dog was in pain or not.
Bold mine.

It's a common comment, from novice dog owners, that they are "not in pain," when the dog is clearly lame.

Dogs just don't typically fake limps.

Other than pointing that out, I made no commentary, positive or negative, on whether you were "concerned" or not.

Reactions: Tanner's

·
Aggressive Female
3,720 Posts
well I'm not a novice dog owner. and i got it checked out from a veterinarian as well. and she was put on anti-inflammatory meds. why am i explaining this to you? have a nice day!

·
Registered
222 Posts
With Lyme they typically show symptoms of switching lameness between legs

Just to let you know animals show pain in individual cases! Example a pit might not show the same pain with the same injury as a lab. They are different just like people, so she might have been in pain but just taking it on the chin like a champ lol ( Just so you know for future)

Reactions: RedFawnRising

·
Registered
222 Posts
My doberman was recently (6 months ago) diagnosed with lymes disease. He is doing much better now since his medication treatment.

Does anyone have any experience with lymes disease?

I notice he does not have the energy he use to and licks his paws after playing to much, like his joints hurt.

Hes 4 years old now.

Thanks for any advice.
Like RFR said you should take some more blood work to see if the bacteria is gone &&& Thank your lucky stars your puppy did not get anaplasmosis which you cannot treat so easily but is also transmitted by ticks

Reactions: RedFawnRising

·
Registered
416 Posts

Will your dog be on meds for life fort his or once it's cleared up meds are done with ? Once again sorry for the dumb questions I just don't know anything about lyme disease. Wish the best for you and your boy.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Will your dog be on meds for life fort his or once it's cleared up meds are done with ? Once again sorry for the dumb questions I just don't know anything about lyme disease. Wish the best for you and your boy.
Once the dog is treated usually all symptoms go away and they are back to normal :)

Reactions: Rowdy1224

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
My Velma went lame on her 8th birthday and I was sure it was a broken toe... well after me insisting on an xray.... which showed a perfectly fine foot, the vet said "now can we do the lymes snap test" LOL! Velma went through treatment twice in order to suppress the lymes - 6 weeks each time.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
OP, are you going to repeat the bloodwork?

It's really important you make sure the bacteria is cleared.

It's when the tx isn't kept up with thoroughly and long enough that the infected animal ends up with long term issues. If you complete the tx now, your dog should be fine in future.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the vet told me he would be tested once a year to make sure its not active. i didnt realize when they take the meds it gets rid of the disease. he does not limp anymore.just less energy then he use to have. he is still a little hyper.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
the vet told me he would be tested once a year to make sure its not active. i didnt realize when they take the meds it gets rid of the disease. he does not limp anymore.just less energy then he use to have. he is still a little hyper.
Well, yes all dogs should get a 4DX (which tests for HW, Lyme, Anaplasmosis, and Erlichiosis) once per year. That's just routine pet care.

But I'm wondering is if he's been checked following the first round of antibiotics, to make sure they did the trick.

He may need another course, esp. if you're seeing decreased activity.

·
Registered
2 Posts
lymes/anaplasmosis 7 month old doberman

Just got back from the vets, my 7 month old doberman just got diagnosis with Lymes and anaplasmosis.....boohooo..he is in alot of pain
He is being treated with Rimadly and Doxycycline,, I had him vaccinated for lyme when he was younger, use frontline and check him for ticks after every walk....He is experiencing alot pain in his l shoulder/elbow area..

·
Registered
416 Posts
Just got back from the vets, my 7 month old doberman just got diagnosis with Lymes and anaplasmosis.....boohooo..he is in alot of pain
He is being treated with Rimadly and Doxycycline,, I had him vaccinated for lyme when he was younger, use frontline and check him for ticks after every walk....He is experiencing alot pain in his l shoulder/elbow area..
Wishing for a fast recovery for your pup.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts