Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My black female dobe, Bella, turned 6 months the other day. Her left ear stands okay when she's alert but when she relaxes, her ear bends and she is unable to erect it. I've continued to post but I was wondering if anyone has any idea if it will turn out okay? One more thing, this is my first dobe, but I notice that sometimes she seems a little reserved with people. Will she be a good guard dog later? I had a rottweiler before but she was too aggressive. Any feedback will be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
You need to socialize her. Your dog is your pet first, guard dog last.

A lot of times dobermans' ears are down, there's a different between relaxed and flopped.

·
Registered
938 Posts
lol, I hear ya on the left ear. Daemons left does it too, but its just his relaxed ear. I pick often and tell my fiance that he 'flops it' when hes mad at me cuz he knows I can't stand that flopping ear, but the ear stands when hes alert and running around

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the feedback

You need to socialize her. Your dog is your pet first, guard dog last.

A lot of times dobermans' ears are down, there's a different between relaxed and flopped.
Actually I'm enrolled in puppy classes and I plan on enrolling her in the canine good citizen program so her socialization is going fine. Her ear folds over and I have to help her straighten so it can stand. In other words, when it folds she can't lift it back up.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I was just saying your concern should be her being well socialized and worry if she can be a guard dog later, didn't mean to offend.

you should look in one of the puppy's threads to see a picture of what "pockets" looks like...Pockets cause ears to flop and pockets are formed when the ear isn't stretched enough during posting. That might help.

·
Always Grateful
6,952 Posts
You need to keep posting her ears - they are not ready to be left unposted. Many times the ears have to be posted past 6 months. Does the ear fold over toward the middle of the head? Maybe you could post a photo.

It is a natural trait of the breed to be aloof with people who are not their "family". My female is much more that way than my male. I would not be concerned if she is somewhat aloof with others. If she is shy, that is a different thing.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah, pretty much what everyone is saying sounds correct. The ear is probably not strong enough yet to hold on it's own. You must continue playing the waiting game, it does not sound hopeless yet. Just keep posting!

Doby was reserved as well, but with dogs, he loves ppl. I have taken him to meet plenty of dogs lately and he has lost that fear, I'd assume that introducing your pup to several ppl will also work as well. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all the feedback from everyone. And to "Like A Boxer" I'm not offended at all, so no worries. I'm just here because I want to do the best that I can with the dog that I have.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My black female dobe, Bella, turned 6 months the other day. Her left ear stands okay when she's alert but when she relaxes, her ear bends and she is unable to erect it. I've continued to post but I was wondering if anyone has any idea if it will turn out okay? One more thing, this is my first dobe, but I notice that sometimes she seems a little reserved with people. Will she be a good guard dog later? I had a rottweiler before but she was too aggressive. Any feedback will be appreciated, thanks!
Hi there, I have 2 dobie pups and the one's ears stood beautifully after just 3 weeks. The other had problems for 4 months. What finally worked wonderfully is this: loosely tape the tips of each ear, then fold them over the top of her head and tape the tips together. Leave them for 3-4 days then remove. If they start to fall, just repeat as long as necessary. Hers stood almost right away for 2 months, then one started to fall again. I just repeated the process...had to do it twice....then it stood great. This seemed to be very easy on the dog as she doesn't seem to notice it at all, unlike when I was doing the conventional posting. Good luck !

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I think there is nothing wrong with her being reserved with people. Most dobermans I have met are, and I don't think need to be everyone's best friend. If she is intolerant, and displaying unwarranted signs of agression that is another thing all together, but if she is just aloof, that's fine.

She looks like a very sweet and happy girl. :)

Reactions: TN.kennel
1 - 10 of 10 Posts