Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boudreaux is one year six months. I have always been worried about his weight and have tried many premium dogfood brands, such as blue buffalo wolf king, and science diet. he has gained more weight now that he is on Diamond premium , which first ingredient is chicken, but he is still too thin. he has been wormed and does not currently have worms. are there any suggestions to make him gain more weight?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
From the pictures he really doesnt look too overly skinny, if he is doing well on the diamond, we feed the extreme athlete at work and it has some more calories and the protein/fat ratio seems to work well to keep weight on even the crazy young kids. Mabel is on canidae for its high calorie content.

Also it's not uncommon for a young male to be tricky to keep weight on, they are highly active, and especially if intact other dogs especially bitches in heat will keep them on edge and generally more picky or lack luster about eating. His weight doesn't look awful, keep doing what your doing and assuming he has been vet checked for any other issues to be ruled out i personally would chalk it up to age and activity level.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Maybe try something with more calories per cup? That's what I did with Juno. She's on Orijen right now, but normally I feed Acana.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
From the pics, your dog is not too thin.

I think Americans are getting so used to seeing obese messes of dogs that they are starting to not recognize a healthy weight.

Your dog does not have a lot of bone/mass, so he is going to look lanky--and he will get a bit more muscled up, on proper daily exercise, as he matures a bit more, but his genetics clearly say he's going to be a lean, lanky boy.

Keep him at a healthy weight.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Careful with the Diamond foods. There have been a ton of recalls on it lately!

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
I agree, he isn't too thin. He is still growing, think of him as a 16 year old boy, not a 25 year old man, he will gain some more muscle mass over the next 18 months. My own boy looked just like that until 2, and now all of a sudden he is filling out, he is losing his skinny puppy look and looking more buff. No need to rush it, feed him high quality food, exercise him constantly and he will mature.

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
Another voice for 'he doesn't look too skinny to me,' especially for only being 18months old.

And hey, Livingston, AL! That's where my parents met. ^_^ (back when the school there was Livingston University not University of West Alabama)

Welcome to DT. :)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Question

How much does he weigh and how tall is he at the withers? He looks a little too thin to me. I don't like to see more than the last two or three ribs nor the hip bones. He appears to be just a handful of pounds (e.g., 5 lbs or less) too thin to me.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
First off Diamond foods has a huge recall...
Your boy looks like he can gain a couple of pounds, but he does look like he is fine boned...

Reactions: vivienne00

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
GET HIM OFF OF DIAMOND! THERE ARE RECALLS.
Some of the brands diamond makes
Brands Affected By Recall
•Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul
•Country Value
•Diamond
•Diamond Naturals
•Premium Edge
•Professional
•4Health
•Taste of the Wild

The below Wellness sku with a Best by Date of January 9, 10, & 11th 2013:

Wellness Large Breed Puppy in 15 pound and 30 pound

May 4th, 2012- No other Wellness skus were affected

Science Diet is NOT a premium dog food.

If every thing checks out by a Vet. You can feed him 2-3 times a day. A good start is about 4 cups a day. You can go up a little and see.
Dobes will start to fill out 18-24 months.
You should just see some ribs
You can add a good Probiotic in his food.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same issue with King, I put him on Performatrin dry premium blend. no grain all meat diet. It contains turkey, salmon, and beef, He gained weight the first week

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Most of the "premium" food manufacturers out there have had various recalls, guys. Some recalls are actual health risks, some have had to do with labeling and other "technicalities" that may or may not have any real impact on your dog's health. Some involve only certain products or formulas, etc, etc.

You kinda have to sort thru the fear-mongering, figure out for yourself which companies have enough of a good quality food and a track record that you feel comfortable with.

The constant recall-news-feed stuff can kinda drive ya crazy :p

Oh, and OP, keep in mind that some folks develop a different eye for ideal weight, often based on the discipline they compete in.

For example, conformation folks tend to keep their animals a bit on the heavier side, for the breed ring, and agility folks tend to keep their athletes a bit leaner, for speed and stamina, and to lessen impact on joints during repetitive jumping.

Unless you have more pics that show this, I'm not sure where folks are seeing a bunch o' ribs and hipbones hanging out--your boy looks fine to me :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Maxx is one year 2 months. I have always been worried about his weight and is on premium dogfood, but he looks still too thin. has been wormed . Are there any suggestions to make him gain more weight? Height wise is 28.5 inch. thats okay but looks too slim and lanku=y

regards

Attachments

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
ruby, is he intact? what do you feed and how much? what does your vet say?

·
Bazinga!
4,534 Posts
Not sure if it is just shadows, but if those are hip bones I see I'd be having bloodwork done.

Not all dogs do well on all foods, if his body is not digesting properly he's either having issues with the food, or there is an undiagnosed medical issue.

I would have a fecal done, blood work and if not already on a grain free food switch to grain free food.

·
Registered
10 Posts
yes, his hip bones does show. his blood work is okay and also have no internal parasites. Just seems cant gain weight. his ribs also show last 2-3

regards

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
is he still intact? meaning have you had him neutered, or does he still have his balls?

Reactions: SieYa
1 - 20 of 23 Posts