Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...by a 15 lb furry dog named snowball. I was walking Baine yesterday and this guy's kid opened the gate to the back yard and wandered out. First thing the dog did was charge after my doberman...He's normally aggresive (well, plays rough) with small dogs so I stepped in front and met the charging fur ball with my foot. It stopped and ran around me and kept barking as it was trying to nip at Baine. Suprisingly he just kept turning around the circling dog with a look like "What the hell are you doing?".

Eventually the owner called the dog over after watching for a few minutes and just said "Looks like my daughter let the dog out". No ****....you think so? I was just amazed that Baine didn't try and bite the little dog's head off. Would have maybe taught him a lesson if my dobie would have dropped off a bloody little furball to his daughter while she was crying her eyes out... :lame:

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
My last doberman Lucy used to constantly get attacked by a neighbors little rat terrier. He was always walking the little drop-kick off leash and I would frequently run into him when I was out walking the dogs. The dog would always target only the doberman, (ignored the whippets) and attack her back legs, hanging off them and shaking his head furiously. He must have been toothless because he never actually left a mark. Lucy would try to tuck her butt and sit, but always had to stop short to avoid sitting on his head, then she would just look at me pitifully until Ollie came and got his dog off. I haven't seen the little dog in a couple of years. I'm surprised he didn't live forever as ornery as he was.

·
Registered
74 Posts
And you know what's even MORE ridiculous? If Blaine would have decided to take action (which he had every right to do), you would have probably had to answer some serious questions or deal with a lawsuit - all because of what kind of dog Blaine is.

:emo8:

·
Registered
696 Posts
And you know what's even MORE ridiculous? If Blaine would have decided to take action (which he had every right to do), you would have probably had to answer some serious questions or deal with a lawsuit - all because of what kind of dog Blaine is.

:emo8:
Agreed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again, when it comes to aggressive dogs I'd trust a big dog over a little dog anyday.

I've run into those poeple who don't discipline there dogs and told them point blank "If you don't control your dogs I will"

I had an incident with a pack of little fluffy dogs, while I was roller blading with my Border Collie. They came out, surrounding him. The alpha started to snarl and snip and my dog, who immediately looks to me, his alpha like "help?!?"

So I grabbed the little bugger by the neck and coller and pushed him to the ground until he submitted. This guy starts freaking out, and all I told him was "I did what was right for both our dogs. Next time you have an issue we'll call the cops, because I was the one with my dog on the leash"

Not the dogs fault, but he paid for it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I saw this on a Dog Whisperer episode the other day... People think it's cute that small dogs act big and aggressive but if the tables we're turned they'd be freaking out. The double standard really sucks.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Baine is a sweet name, btw. Kinda like the "bane" of that little dog's existence should he decide to swipe him up by his neck. :)

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
There is nothing that will piss me off more than a dog off leash who thinks he owns the neighborhood. I have no problem knocking on someones door and telling them either. There is one street in my neighborhood full of dogs in electric fences who run through them all the time. Grrrr. We don't walk down that street anymore.

·
Premium Member
8,861 Posts
I live in a neighborhood where loose dogs are very rare, but there is one that I have dealt with a couple of times and it just ticks me off.

The dog is a Keeshond, and the family keeps to themselves so I don't know them at all - they live about 1/2 way around our subdivison of 61 homes.

A week or two ago I was walking both dogs one afternoon - 6 foot leashes with pinch collars. As I came up towards their house I see the dog run out from behind the house ........... loose and no-one around. I pulled my dogs right to my side and walked on the other side of the road, and put myself between my dogs and this loose dog. The dam thing comes right for them snarling and it pissed me off royal. I think it is an older dog as it does not move real fast. I put up a foot and caught him square in the chest - it stopped him dead. He stiff legged it back to his yard where he proceeded to bark a bunch......... no one EVER came out of the house.

Fast forward to yesterday.......... I'm walking my dogs again. I see the woman out walking this dog and it is still limping from where I caught him in the chest - I wonder if I broke something. The woman is yakking on her cell phone and walking really slow. I stopped for awhile to let her get ahead of me and she just stops a little further up and keeps yakking on her phone. She knows where I live and that I HAVE to get past her with my dogs to get home. I just thought screw it and walked past her. My dogs are making yips and yaps at her dog and it is barking at mine - the woman looked upset because she could not hear her phone call. What an IDIOT!! I figure she is probably still wondering why her dog is limping.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
So sorry aboub Baine. Poor guy.

It is my pet peeve (pun intended) when people don't restrain their dogs. We have a house 2 houses down across the street that had 7 dogs in a back fence. Only one remained in the fence at all times. The other 6, rat terriors and a doberman/GSD mix ran the neighborhood. One of the rat terriors bites kids and the dobe/GSD mix bites men. (I would have taken him in myself if not for that issue). 5 of the RT's and the mix ended up at animal control. Now there is another larger dog there who stays mostly inside if he is not in the front yard with the kids (unleashed).

My biggest peeve was that these dogs would run right up on Summer when I was walking her. For a couple months walking was the only source of enjoyment she got out of life and all she really ever wanted to do and I was restricted all the time because of me having to ward off 5-6 dogs for every walk especially when my kids were walking with us and the one ankle biter bit my kids.

People don't think that small dogs need training and it is no big deal. I even called AC numerous times on these dogs and the only one they were concerned with was the mix. They drove right by the small terriors without notice because they are "no threat". Imagine this, they ended up making an agreement with AC to surrender 5 of the dogs and they ended up keeping the child biter. There are also about 10 kids in that house at any given time because she does in home daycare.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
We have a pitbull or pit mix - I can't tell - down the block from us that sneaks out on occasion. One time we were walking and they opened the front door to leave and out comes this pit looking creature dead set on getting to Isabelle. I put her behind me and looked at that dog and told it to GO HOME! and pointed in the direction from which it came. It stopped and went. Not sure why it went back, but since then we don't walk on that part of the block - I also try to keep an eye out for potential loose dogs. Are neighborhood is pretty good about keep dogs on leashes or in backyard (we all have 6 ft block walls). If I see a loose one I go down a different street before either one of the dogs figure it out. ALthough there are these two GSDs that every time I walk by there yard they bark like mad & paw at their gate & each time I jump - you'd think I'd figure out where they lived by now!

·
Registered
696 Posts
I think the small dog problem is the owners. They see these type of dogs as cute little kids to dress up and pamper. I have met tons of small dogs who were so babied that they did'nt even know they were in fact dogs.

I own a Boston Terrier, and she in well behaved. But she will bark at strangers that come in the house. It may also be something to do with the fact that they are smaller. There for more vonlrable.

I have always been a BIG Dog lover since I was a kid, But not being able to have a large dog I bought my Boston, who is the best dog you could ask for. Though Now I have my Big Dogs too, I see why people fall right in love with some of the little ones.

I have had to yank Raven right off the ground by her leash to save her from a large loose Shep/Husky mix. That dog I'm sure was going to hurt her. She is dominant, but has never really had to back up her bark. That dog jumped for her and I kneed it as hard as I could in the side. It was very relentless. But after a bit walked away.

But what really Pisses me off is when strays come onto YOUR property and attack your dog who is chained and helpless to run. Thats one of my biggest reason for NOT chaining dogs.

·
Premium Member
8,861 Posts
MJ, please don't tell me that you live in West Chester, PA. I have friends
that own an annoying Keeshound in West Chester! lol.
Nope - that is Chester County, and we are in Montgomery county. There is another Keeshond in the neighborhood that is a sweet heart. I've got nothing against the breed except that I could NEVER in a million years deal with all that hair - LOL!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had a similar thing happen a few months ago. I was walking Maggie down a nice country neighborhood road at the foot of a mountain, and this little Jack Russell Terrier runs right up under mine and Maggie's legs and starts trying to eat us alive without making a sound! I saw Maggie look like WTF? and then she snarled and opened her mouth to defend herself. I quickly yanked her away and stomped at the dog. The man who owned the JRT was in the yard and didn't say a word the whole time. Loudly, I said "That was almost the end for you buddy and next time it will be" to the JRT (and the man). As we jogged off, I heard the owner cussing about the gd doberman to his wife.
Maggie was on leash and his dog wasn't. If Maggie had attacked the dog in defense, the local headlines would have read, "Small terrrier attacked by viscious doberman". LOL.
Next time, I'll have my punting shoes on.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
This is exactly why I rarely take my dogs on neighborhood walks anymore-it's just not worth the aggravation value. Too many people leave the gates to their fenced properties open, so the dogs come running out to instigate as you walk by.

If I want to walk them for some reason, I drive them to a park. Luckily, I have plenty of property for them to run around on, so they're not dependent on walks for exercise.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
yeah in my neighborhood I was walking duchess around the block and I was training her alittle too...and here comes a pretty big hound puppy ....but I just kept duchess's attention so she wouldnt think about getting nervous about the random puppy...I just used my treats to walk duchess and then walk this unleashed puppy back to his house.

but then another time I was walking coco our fearful adopted lab mix and I see a small terrier dog trotting up to him. Coco wouldn't do well with a dog coming up to him at all so I PICKED COCO UP! he only ways about 45 pounds but Id rather do that then not being able to seperate coco from the small dog if i just let the small dog come up to him. The owners are lucky Im so nice to pick my big dog up off the ground so that the little dog doesnt have a chance of getting hurt.

·
Registered
258 Posts
We have/had a small brown poodle in our neighborhood that would always run loose. Thing drove me nuts. It would come over and pee on everything in our yard, and also leave some nice treats for us to pick up. I work nights and sleep during the day...low and behold the dog would come over about mid-morning and sit in the front yard and bark. I had tried on multiple occassions to catch it so I could take it to the pound but it would not let me get close. Finally one day (probably not the right thing to do) Travis shot it with a paint ball gun. We heard it yelp and head back home. Next day..guess what is back in our yard? Who in their right mind would not notice that there dog has been hit with a bright orange paint ball. I finally had enough and went to the police department and got a copy of the city ordinance leash law. Mailed it to their house. Have not seen the dog in about a month now! My feeling on these things are this: If I can keep my two dogs in my yard, you should be able to do the same thing.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Good for Baine taking the high road! Speaks volumes of his character :)

Something nearly identical happened to Orson & me, but the dog was a toy poodle of some kind and the owners thought it was 'cute' trying to bite a doberman, they were actually laughing from their porch.........that is until I kicked it out into the road, then they came running to get him! Please know that I didn't want to kick the idiotic little beast, but no way was I putting my hand down there!

I always put myself between my boy & an off leash dog. For one, if a dog bites ME the stakes are much higher for the owner/dog from a legal stand point and I would rather get bitten than have Orson bitten.........and two, as someone mentioned earlier, the cops/judge would look at my dog verses the attacking dog and probably have his mind made up regardless of the circumstances.

·
Registered
208 Posts
What makes me angry in general is when dog owners are irresponsible and don't take any responsibility nor care for their dog's actions.
I have several small dogs and yes they are babied but I don't know understand how anyone would think a small dog biting or attacking them is cute. Sure the dog might be small but they still have sharp teeth that can do damage and it still hurts when the bite you even if they have smaller teeth. I see all too often many pet owners who have small dogs and let them get away with being aggressive or biting because they think it is cute or that oh well he is small he couldn't really hurt anyone, but it does. It really makes me mad because it gives certain dogs a reputation when really it is the owner's fault the dog is the way it is. I just hate irresponsible dog owners, they shouldn't have a dog in the first place if they don't take responsibility for their dog. My dogs big and small have never bitten anyone or any dog nor do I think they would unless defending themselves because they have all been properly raised and trained. They might lick them to death though,lol. But if someone ever happened I would take full responsibility for their actions.

I never really had any problems walking my dogs. Everyone is really good about keeping their dogs on leashes or making sure they are securely penned up. The only problem I had was when I had my yorkie out in my yard, on a leash. The next thing I know this pit bull comes running straight for him and it wasn't so he could say hello. I picked my dog up right away and luckily Daisy was on the porch and with her barking and growling and me yelling at the dog, the dog stopped and ran back to his owner. Here the owner is laughing about it and then he continues walking on with his dog off leash through the whole neighborhood. A few days later the guy still is walking his dog off leash through the neighborhood. I reported him and haven't seen him or his dog for a very long time. But if something would have happened to my dog I would have been furious because for one he would probably would have died if attacked and two the owner was so completely irresponsible. But I still wouldn't have blamed the dog, I would have blamed the owner because there is no excuse for his dog being walked off the leash through the whole neighborhood.
Pit bulls get a lot of heat too and you always see them in the headlines as vicious dogs. Pit bulls are great dogs but so many people are irresponsible with them and train them for the wrong reasons which gives them a bad rep.
It is a shame there are so many stupid and irresponsible dog owners out there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts