Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. My Dobie is almost two tears old now but the last couple days has been acting different. Normally he is a very hyper active dog but lately he has been strangly calm. He just wants to be right by us and sit on our feet. Kind of like he is just being super protective and his job is to stay right by our sides. At first I thought he was sick but he has been eating normal and not in any kind of pain. Is this a normal thing or has anyone experience anything similar? Dont get me wrong I dont miss being mobbed at the door when I get home but he just seems he is sad and not his normal playful happy go lucky self. Any comment thought or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Got mutt?
13,842 Posts
Even though he is eating okay, and doesn't appear to be in pain to you, he should still go to the vet for a checkup and possible bloodwork. Anything that is that atypical should be checked out.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I completely agree with Rosemary.. Dobermans can be really good at hiding things that are bothering them. Sometimes they can be big wusses, but I wouldn't wait. I'd get him to a vet and have him checked as soon as humanly possible, just in case. It could just be gas, but better to know what it is than wait until there's no helping him.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Ziva started acting particulary lazy all at once right before her 2nd birthday. No energy. I took her to the vet for a thorough checkup (I was scared that she was having heart problems) and the blood screening showed that she was extremely hypothyroid...her levels were nearly non-existant, they were so low. She's been on Thyrosin 2 X daily since August of last year, and her energy levels shot back up, she lost about 13 - 14 lbs (she had started to put on some extra weight, also) and is doing great. I just had her 6-month thyroid checkup done last week, and her levels are perfect. Have your dobe checked----might not be anything more than spring fever, but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I aggree with everyone else. A sudden change in behavior for no apparent reason could be a bad sign. He's eating ok, but is he pooping normaly? Whenever I hear about this I always worry about a blockage or bloat. Two potentially lethal, and time sensative, issues.

It could be a simple as a brief sickness that will pass, much like a person has the flu. But I'd say its better to have him checked and it be nothing, than to NOT have him checked and have it cost him...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts