Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Cerberus
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. I have been doing a lot of research on the internet and I am still not satisfied with what I have found so far. I am posting a picture of him and I hope you guys can give me some ideas in terms of the possibility of whether the white hair will be gone when he grows older. He is a two month old pure breed doberman and he is full AKC registered.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
This is from the DPCA breed standard:

Welcome to DT from Denver!

Allowed Colors: Black, red, blue, and fawn (Isabella). Markings : Rust, sharply defined, appearing above each eye and on muzzle, throat and forechest, on all legs and feet, and below tail. White patch on chest, not exceeding 1/2 square inch, permissible. Disqualifying Fault : Dogs not of an allowed color.

I've heard that the white on the chest can get smaller. Pix would help!

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Hello guys. I have been doing a lot of research on the internet and I am still not satisfied with what I have found so far. I am posting a picture of him and I hope you guys can give me some ideas in terms of the possibility of whether the white hair will be gone when he grows older. He is a two month old pure breed doberman and he is full AKC registered.
Did you mean to post a pic?

Because there is not one showing up.

Full AKC registration means not much at all, in terms of quality breeding. It's the bare minimum standard of record-keeping, as compared to all the bogus registries out there, like CKC (Continental Kennel Club), ACA, UKCI, and so on and so forth, but it in no way is a validation of any sort of quality.

For that, you would need to look at your pup's pedigree--good breeders provide one to their buyers, should be at least five generations of ancestors for you to look at on that document.

You should also have received hard copies of the parents' health clearances, including OFA hip and elbows, thyroid panels, most recent 24 hour holter monitor results and echocardiogram, liver panels, CERF, vWD, and a few others.

If you've got all of the above documents from your breeder you purchased from, and the results are all good and the ancestors were also health tested and titled, then I would not worry for thirty seconds about a white spot on the pup's chest ;)

Welcome to DT!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
This is from the DPCA breed standard:

Welcome to DT from Denver!

Allowed Colors: Black, red, blue, and fawn (Isabella). Markings : Rust, sharply defined, appearing above each eye and on muzzle, throat and forechest, on all legs and feet, and below tail. White patch on chest, not exceeding 1/2 square inch, permissible. Disqualifying Fault : Dogs not of an allowed color.

I've heard that the white on the chest can get smaller. Pix would help!
Not exceeding 1/2 square inch is what is permissible, but it doesn't mean the fault (of having more white) doesn't occur. I think it happens more than people in the dobe world sometimes admit.

My pup has a bit of white on her middle hind toes (on both paws) She's 11 weeks old and it is already a lot less visible than when she was 4-5 weeks old (the first time I saw her). She also has a white arrow-shaped mark on her chest that seems to be shrinking as she gets bigger. The breeder said by the time she's grown the white on her toes will be gone as she sheds her baby coat and the white on her chest will be reduced. Either way it's a fault that occurs sometimes, individuals presenting that type of disqualifying fault wouldn't be shown and she wouldn't have been retained for breeding, for example. She had one other littermate (out of 8 puppies) with a single white toe, the white hairs are almost all gone for him.

A puppy from a previous litter had white on her chest that disappeared completely after her first winter shedding.

If you don't intend to show him, it's not a big deal, won't affect his quality of life. I've heard that if you want the white reduced/gone faster you can pluck the hairs but that seems like it would be unpleasant for the puppy.

Reactions: 4x4bike ped
1 - 5 of 5 Posts