Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1 yo doberman that i got about a week ago. he is great with my 1 yo other then every time he gets close to her he knocks her down. he tries to beat her through the doors and to me and my husband and he will start to play with her and knocks her down then kinda rubs his chest on her/lays on her. just wondering what i can do to get him to stop.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Training.
I suggest an obedience class and to work on basics like sitting and waiting before he can go through doors, stuff like that. If the dog cannot be completely trusted around your child than I would suggest keeping the dog on a leash while they are together so you have more control until the behavior can be worked on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i trust him as far as i know hes not going to hurt her intentionally but when he turns around or jumps back out of the way or tries to make it in or out before her he knock her down. He will sit and wait intill my i go through doors but not her or my husband.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I would emphasize calm behavior whenever your daughter is around. Treating her like a playing partner is unacceptable behavior . So, I wouldn't show any excitement towards the dog when your daughter is interacting with him. Associate the time they spend together with tranquility and reprimand rough housing of any kind.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I think is of absolute import that you get your dog some classes with a trainer. General obedience will solve this issue.

In the mean time, what are you doing as far as exercise for him? Dobermans that age need lots of stimulation in order to be good housemates. At least an hour walking a day, some serious fetch/tug sessions, obedience 10-15 minutes a few times a day, and even some of the puzzle toys are good ways to get rid of some of the energy that might be causing him to be overly excited. Dobermans are not a breed that can sit around and look pretty without being sort of wild (although there are, of course, exceptions to this rule).

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I would let him go out the door first and then walk through with your 1 year old to prevent him always plowing her over. General obedience and lots of exercise, like mentioned already, is the best way to handle this.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I would absolutely not trust a dog that i have only had for one week.
Dogs sometimes are on best behaviour until they get comfortable and then test the waters.
You need to do obedience and you need to make sure you are keeping a very close eye on the dog and your child.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think that sometimes they just forget that they are bigger than what they are. At least that is the case with my younger one. He really thinks he is the size of my MinPin. I had a similar problem to what you are experiencing. Tavi would at some point knock my daughter down. After a while it was happening more and more and I decided to do something about it. Most of the time it would happen after I let him in from being outside. It was all expectations, and the fault was with me. He would still be excited inside and at some point she would be knocked down.

I started working with him on coming in and lying down. Zoe has it down, but I still have to work with Tavi sometimes. But my end goal is to have them come in and lay down until they have settled. I must say, it has worked better than I imagined. If Tavi is having issues with it, I send him to his bed (crate) and he stays there until him and Zoe have both settled.

It has helped me out tremendously and really reminded me how smart our dogs can be if we put in the time with them.... :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would never leave them alone together at all but he is an amazing dog with the best personality. It's not that he's hyper at all he gets plenty of exercise and I know he still needs to work his brain also. It's just general calmly walking by her and bumping her and down she goes or when I tell him to get out of a room and she comes walking up he turns right into her. The play thing has stopped completely now which is amazing to me after only a couple times in the crate. We are still working on him being aware of her though

·
Registered
59 Posts
Kudos to you for being brave enough to have two one year olds in the house! That sounds like typical behavior for a one year old dobe, they are still big babies that just want to play. Does your daughter cry when she gets knocked down? Maybe your dobe will learn to watch out for her when he realizes your daughter is unhappy about getting knocked down. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
A one year old child is not so steady on her feet as say a child of 2 years old so I can imagine it wouldnt be hard for your boy to bump into him/her and knock him/her over. In fact my old Mastif and Boxer used to do it to my grand daughter. So we taught them the word, 'careful' and gently guided them to give her a little more room. It only took a few goes at this for them to grasp that when mum or indeed anyone said 'careful' they were to watch out for the baby. I think your boy will with patience learn to do this also.
It sounds to me as if your boy is doing what my old girls used to do and that is forget just how big they were in relation to a child.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts