Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog was bitten by another dog at daycare a week ago. We went to pets mart and now she seems afraid of dogs. And, it like all of a sudden other dogs seem aggressive towards her.

I'm guessing she is giving off some kind of vibe but I don't know what to do about it.

She has always LOVED other dogs and loves the dog park but I'm afraid to take her back to day care or the park.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I might take some very HIGH VALUE treats and go to a dog park but DO NOT GO INSIDE. Stay far enough away she is comfortable. Do a lap or two, go home. Repeat, repeat, repeat. My youngest Vizsla was jumped by a Malamuate at 12 weeks or so and screamed for more than 5 minutes. Thankfully at the time I had just enrolled in a puppy class so found 2 more to do and we went at his pace. At first I was probably 20 ft from the dog park and stayed behind dogs if we were out walking. Now he loves all dogs and loves to play.

If you know of any dogs she absolutely loves and are safe, do a short play session or go for a walk together.

Reactions: Herb2relax

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I am sorry to hear this. Day care should have been paying more attention IMHO. Now she needs to work through it and relearn to trust. As Adara stated get great treats and set her up for success. Take her to lots of places with other dogs. Have her on leash and work within her comfort zone with the goal each time to be increasing that comfort zone. That means you have to be in control of everything so no one scares her again.

Great suggestion that if you have dogs she is comfortable with get together as much as possible and let them help rebuild her confidence too.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
There are lots of publications on this subject. The book "Scaredy Dog" by Ali Brown gives step by step guidance on what to do and how to handle getting your puppy to trust dogs again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts