Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dobermans ears have black spots after removing ear post. The tip of the ear is not black just the middle section where the tape was in contact with his ears. I am using the backer rod method. So my question is. Are my dogs ears dying? Or will they heal? He was only posted for 3 days.

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
Those look more like you're taping too tight. I'd let those heal up before reposting again.
(Other option, just tape at the base of the ear and at the tip. Again, not too tight. loosely wrap a strip around the top and the bottom, and squeeze it on with your hand.)

·
Premium Member
13,467 Posts
How long ago was your puppy cropped. Those black spot you describe that are shown in the picture look like scabs--and the cropped edge doesn't look like it was entirely healed when you posted it.

At this point I would do nothing at all--and I certainly would NOT repost until the entire ear edge is healed.

So when were the sutures removed and when was the crop actually done?

dobebug

·
Big Lil pup
8,457 Posts
Hi fawn. No... Your dogs ears are not dying. As everyone else said ^^^. just let them completely heal before attempting to post again. Also... pay attention to falnfenix's advice. Taping to tightly CAN cause necrosis (death of tissue), so always just lay the tape on and squeeze it into place. Folks here actually have a word for it: "Scrunching" the tape. LOL

And jumping the gun, by taping over wounds and scabs, often leads to infections, which will end up setting you back, time wise.

Please update and/or return with any questions as they arise.

John L
Portland OR

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those look more like you're taping too tight. I'd let those heal up before reposting again.
(Other option, just tape at the base of the ear and at the tip. Again, not too tight. loosely wrap a strip around the top and the bottom, and squeeze it on with your hand.)
Thank you I appreciate the feedback. It is our first doberman so everything helps. I will definitely let his ears heal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How long ago was your puppy cropped. Those black spot you describe that are shown in the picture look like scabs--and the cropped edge doesn't look like it was entirely healed when you posted it.

At this point I would do nothing at all--and I certainly would NOT repost until the entire ear edge is healed.

So when were the sutures removed and when was the crop actually done?

dobebug
My pup is currently 14 weeks old. He was cropped May 12, 2022. And the sutures were removed May 23, 2022. I first posted him on June 8, 2022 and took them off on June 10, 2022 because we noticed he was not himself. Thank for the advice I definitely will let him heal first.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi fawn. No... Your dogs ears are not dying. As everyone else said ^^^. just let them completely heal before attempting to post again. Also... pay attention to falnfenix's advice. Taping to tightly CAN cause necrosis (death of tissue), so always just lay the tape on and squeeze it into place. Folks here actually have a word for it: "Scrunching" the tape. LOL

And jumping the gun, by taping over wounds and scabs, often leads to infections, which will end up setting you back, time wise.

Please update and/or return with any questions as they arise.

John L
Portland OR
Thank you for the feedback. I see now what I did wrong. I appreciate the knowledge I will keep everyone posted.

·
Premium Member
13,467 Posts
I'm surprised that his ears were completely healed from the dates of cropping and suture removal and the first posting. But every puppy is different and be very careful about pulling the tape rather than just laying it on and then wrapping your hand around the ear and scrunthing the tape. If you have some very hot and/or humid weather going on you may not get more than two days out of one taping. Use your nose to make sure there isn't an infection starting--taped ears should never smell like anything except warm puppy and tape--if they have a dirty smell, take them down and make sure you don't have a starting infection.

Good luck--it does get easier with practice.

dobebug

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm surprised that his ears were completely healed from the dates of cropping and suture removal and the first posting. But every puppy is different and be very careful about pulling the tape rather than just laying it on and then wrapping your hand around the ear and scrunthing the tape. If you have some very hot and/or humid weather going on you may not get more than two days out of one taping. Use your nose to make sure there isn't an infection starting--taped ears should never smell like anything except warm puppy and tape--if they have a dirty smell, take them down and make sure you don't have a starting infection.

Good luck--it does get easier with practice.

dobebug
Thankx dobebug. It has been a little hotter lately I am in the Los Angeles area so it's been mid to high 80's in temp. I'm gonna let him heal and repost how you guys gave advice me. What do you think of vetwrap?

·
Premium Member
13,467 Posts
Don't use vet wrap--it's really easy for it to shrink on the ear and cut off circulation. It may look nice and be easier to use than things like Zonas or Coach tapes (low tack, breathable medical tapes) but shrinkage is a real concern with it and any other stretchy kinds of tape. It too easy to stretch it while putting it on and it will shrink in humid weather (not such a big concern in the LA area but if the ears get wet the vet wrap and other self amalgamating tapes will shrink as they dry.

Generally in and around LA (I lived in the area for years) as long as the temperatures don't get into the 90's and sit there for days you can post and generally get 3 days and sometimes 4 days out of summer time posting. As basically a desert area at least it used to cool down at night and give everyone a break.

dobebug

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't use vet wrap--it's really easy for it to shrink on the ear and cut off circulation. It may look nice and be easier to use than things like Zonas or Coach tapes (low tack, breathable medical tapes) but shrinkage is a real concern with it and any other stretchy kinds of tape. It too easy to stretch it while putting it on and it will shrink in humid weather (not such a big concern in the LA area but if the ears get wet the vet wrap and other self amalgamating tapes will shrink as they dry.

Generally in and around LA (I lived in the area for years) as long as the temperatures don't get into the 90's and sit there for days you can post and generally get 3 days and sometimes 4 days out of summer time posting. As basically a desert area at least it used to cool down at night and give everyone a break.

dobebug
I had no clue it will shrink in hot weather thank u for that info. I will use Kendall medical tape and leave most of the ear exposed. Hopefully that works out. Sorry for asking so many questions, but what is your advice on resting periods between post? 24hrs or right away?

·
Big Lil pup
8,457 Posts
I had no clue it will shrink in hot weather thank u for that info. I will use Kendall medical tape and leave most of the ear exposed. Hopefully that works out. Sorry for asking so many questions, but what is your advice on resting periods between post? 24hrs or right away?
I can answer for dobebug, because there is really only one answer:

If when you take the ears down, and all is good. (No irritation or infection, etc.)... Take only enough time to gently clean and inspect the ears. As soon as they are dry, put them back up in posts right away. Aim for 1/2 hour for the ears to be down. But, in reality, just get them back up in a reasonably short amount of time.

If you think that here might be an issue with the ears, generally that will need to be addressed before you can re-post.
But that would not be the norm.

Also... You should never be sorry for asking questions. In fact, you should always come back and ask if you have anything that you are concerned or unsure about. There is a good chance somebody can steer you in the right direction.

John L
Portland OR

·
Premium Member
13,467 Posts
Hey Fawndobermanmax,

Find one or other of the Johnson & Johnson tapes--I was in the vet clinic where I'm still not completely retired and saw that they evidently were having trouble getting the J & J Zonas tape in 1"--so I went and looked to see what the substitute was--it was Kendall--and that stuff is like the Curity tape that I tell people not to use. Both of those tapes are tooooo sticky--if and only if you also have a supply of liquid Uni-Solve (not the little wipes) stick with the J & J products--they are true low tack tapes--designed to be used over and over on same places.

Joohn^^^already gave you the information he knew that I'd give on how long to leave ears down between posting--as short a time as possible--take the posting down, clean the ears, dry them as quickly as possible and put them back up.

Keep asking questions--we all learned the same way--I've been posting ears a long time and I still find solutions to problems that someone else solved for me--happens all the time.

There's a lot of knowledge to be had from these forums.

dobebug

·
Big Lil pup
8,457 Posts
Fawn...

J&J Coach Sports tape is the same kind of tape as Zonas. Just marketed differently. You can get it at a lot of places. Amazon is one of them.

There are several ways to buy it. The easiest and most reliable on Amazon:
1 roll for $6
3 rolls for $15
11 rolls for $47

I have Amazon Prime so I have usually bought it 1 roll, or 3 rolls, at a time w/ next day free delivery. My local Walgreens also had it the last time I looked.

I can buy J&J Zonas tape all day long on Amazon, but it is marketed more for businesses and is most often sold in a very generic box with 32 non-wrapped rolls. Perfect for a gym or vet... Not so much for one person taping up one puppy's ears for a few months. LOL

JL

·
Registered
178 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can answer for dobebug, because there is really only one answer:

If when you take the ears down, and all is good. (No irritation or infection, etc.)... Take only enough time to gently clean and inspect the ears. As soon as they are dry, put them back up in posts right away. Aim for 1/2 hour for the ears to be down. But, in reality, just get them back up in a reasonably short amount of time.

If you think that here might be an issue with the ears, generally that will need to be addressed before you can re-post.
But that would not be the norm.

Also... You should never be sorry for asking questions. In fact, you should always come back and ask if you have anything that you are concerned or unsure about. There is a good chance somebody can steer you in the right direction.

John L
Portland OR
Thank you. I feel confident now. Just waiting on my boys ears to heal and I will give it another shot.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts