Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently adopted a one year old Dobe named Desmond. He is wonderful- very pleasant and easy-going. One of our main problems is that he poops all over the yard...

My experience with Doberman until now is that they pick a spot and always go there, usually far away from the house/a remote corner of the yard. Not with Desi! It may be because he was raised around so many other dogs, and lots of different breeds (Dane, Goldens, Huskies, St. Bernards).

Does anyone have any suggestions? It was bad before, but tonight, I stepped in a fresh one!!! We have to fix him! :) Does that hormone stick thing work?

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I don't have this problem but if I did I would probably pick up all the poo I could find and place it in one corner of the yard. That might help. Hopefully somebody else will chime in.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
28,578 Posts
You could try taking him on a leash to the place you want him to go, and then praising and rewarding him big time when he performs as you want. After several weeks of doing this consistently, you may have some luck with his poop habits.

I am far from an expert on elimination matters, but I haven't heard that fixing a dog will regulate his pooping?? Same with the hormone stick--I think both of those apply to pee. Now that he is a relatively mature male dog, and I assume already lifting his leg, I would think it will be hard to get him to pee only in a few chosen places. Maybe.........

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
I saw on It's Me or the Dog she taught the dogs to go behind a partial wooden fence in part of the back yard. They had to take the dogs their on leashes for some time also praise the dogs when they did their business behind the fence.You have to work with the dog to make it work it takes patience and time. Was a regular fenced yard with a wooden fence panel out from the back of the fence hope that makes sense .Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
22,934 Posts
Could be tough, but I think if you leashed him every time and took him to the place you'd like him to go it might work.

I personally just go out and pick up after the dogs each time they go. That way there's no chance of stepping in anything and I'm also aware if there are any issues with their stools that might concern me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of your ideas! I think the leash one is good, the only problem is, he is outside while we are at work, and while we are home, he also has free reign of the yard. We pick the poop up regularly, but chances are, he went while we were at work. Maybe picking it up and putting it in one spot would help him get the idea.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
If he's outside while you're at work, you will never fix the problem the way you want. You have to consistently, (by consistently I mean every time) bring him to a location, and reward him for going there. It will take some time to make the connection of pooping say under a tree, or behind the shed, or something like that. But if he's free to go where he pleases, you will never be able to teach a dog this. I'd also be worried about other bad manners he may pick up being left alone, especially at such a young age. Remember, if he does something wrong, and he doesn't get corrected, or taught what's right, it's not wrong.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
There is no solution to your problem other than to watch your step. Some dogs like to go in a particular spot, some don't. For those that don't and you want them to you can train them to go in a spot, but that's impossible if they have free unsupervised reign of the back yard.

·
Aggressive Female
3,720 Posts
I agree with leashing and bringing him to the spot you want him to go to.
Also a command word is a good idea, we say "go do your pips" and "go do your poops".
hahah.

lol, if Elsa starts to poop in the middle of the yard, I say "Nooo" and point to the corner, and then she runs over there.

he'll get it after a little while just be consistent.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I agree the taking on a leash to the certain area everytime! If he doesnt go he isnt free to roam. It will be hard since he has so much free time out in the yard. Mine all go normally out towards the fence. But it is all along the fence line and anywhere to 5' inland. I go on poop patrol everyday. Also like MeadowCat I like to make sure there is nothing wrong with it. Leaving stools laying around regardless if its all in one place or not is not santitary. Should he get worms or something of the sort and stools are left it would an area with high probability of reinfection.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Our back yard is pretty big. What the dung beetles don't use gets redistributed when I mow the lawn (hard by that time).

Once the lawn is mowed, it's like a new fresh slate for them to poo on some more.

I don't do poopy patrol unless one of them goes in someones yard on a walk.

I take that back...winter time when the grass doesn't grow I will find myself picking up noticeable poopy piles.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
When we had Mysti we trained her to go to a dog pen we had behind our garage. The pen was from our lab we had before her. We never closed her in it, we just took her back there on a leash and waited with her until she went then praised her alot when she would go. Once she established her "area" she would always go behind the garage to the dog pen and go.
When we got Nexus, we tried to train her to go with Mysti to the pen to go potty. Mysti would always go there, and we would take Nexus with her, on a leash, and Nexus would wander around, sniff, wander some more, investigate, but would not go potty. She would stay in that pen for an hour, and not go. I was suprised a puppy could hold her bladder that long. Occasionally she would pee simply because she would not hold it any longer, but she would NOT poop in that pen. Once we would leave the pen and return in the house, she would do one of two things, she would either stop in her tracks on the way to the house and poop right there on the way in or she would poop in the house as soon as we went in. As hard as we tried, and we spent well over 2 months trying to train her to go in this darn pen, she would NEVER poop back there. We finally gave up and allowed her to just go outside and go where she wanted, as it was not a big deal for my husband to clean the yard ever other day or so. Mysti continued to use the pen, she never searched for where Nexus went and used her spots.
Some dogs it seems are just more stubborn than their owners. I still do not know what it was about that pen unless Nexus felt it was Mysti's territory and she wasnt going to go potty there, but she flat out refused and I really didnt want to spend more than the 2 months we had already tried to get her to go there. When we got Bella, we didnt even try with her, my husband left the gate closed and they dont go back there at all now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts