Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we made it though another blistering hot day - 97 in the shade this afternoon. I took a couple of pictures of Maureen in her first Jrs class, but they are from the rear......... it was crowded and NOONE was standing in the sun if they could help it!

Maureen and Louise did good - Louise paced with her tongue hanging out! They got 3rd out of 4 - and I was very proud of her. The Jrs judge was very nice and made it easy for her.

Louise did fine for me in BOB, but it was so fast I just didn't have time to screw up at all. She could have been toothless for all the judge knew since he never looked at teeth on any Doberman today. We didn't win any prizes today, but I was happy with how we did as a team........ I need to run faster - Ughhhh! The good part is that I know I can do it now and even if we don't win anything it is just really good practice for us ........... and fun because I LOVE going to the dog show - even in 100 degree weather - LOL!

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Thank you for sharing. I think it is fantastic to get your daughter into showing already! What a gift to give her. I'm sure she will be a future Doberman owner for life, especially after you have puppies!

Carol & Petey!
ox

·
Super Moderator
15,612 Posts
Well even if you didn't win today atleast everybody had a blast, even in the hot weather! it's terrible here in NC, I try not to even go outside between 11am and 4pm if i can help it.

·
Premium Member
8,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like you all had fun and that's what counts! They look great in the ring together.

Robin and Rex
Yeah, we both had fun. I know my daughter was nervous, but so were the other kids in her class. She felt pretty good about the whole experience. Next Friday there is a Jr Handlers seminar at the show in Harrisburg PA (Indoors - YEAH) and we are going to that - it is about 2 1/2 hours from here. They will get to work with pro handlers and I think that will be a super experience for her.

Louise is pretty easy going and will be a good Jr's dog for her. She does like to pace so Maureen will have to learn how to make her gait correctly. I'd like her to show Velma, but she needs more experience first. Velma LOVES to show, but WILL drag her around the ring on her face right to me if she thinks she could get away with it. At some point, she will have to take Velma in because Louise will go into heat and be bred - so if she wants to continue showing then she will have to learn to control my obedience dog - LOL!

I just enjoy going to the dog show and competing .... even when I lose. Louise's handler (Gwen) was at the shows this weekend and won breed both days, a group 1 and a group 4. It was pretty intimidating the first day to walk in the BOB ring with her, but today it was easier........... and it will get so that I am more comfortable with it. I'm never going to be anywhere near as good as a pro. I'll be happy just to go in and do a decent job without falling on my face :) I figure that someday my daughter can handle for me..... there is a reason for getting my kid(s) into Jrs <grin>

·
Registered
954 Posts
Glad to hear you both had a good time. I'm sure the Jr. handling seminar will be a really good experience. (I've learned a lot by sitting on the sidelines while Emily was in "class.")

Em wanted to congratulate Maureen on getting out there in that heat. We have had our share of Lena pacing in the ring.

I'm going to try and start a thread later. We just got back from showing in Salem Virginia.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Sounds like you two had a great time.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
congrats to both of you!!!!! i wish my family had pushed me to do this when i was a kid - she will thank you for it!!!

·
Premium Member
8,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
congrats to both of you!!!!! i wish my family had pushed me to do this when i was a kid - she will thank you for it!!!
Yes well, I'm hoping she will thank me by handling my dogs when she gets to be really good - LOL! For sure I'm hoping that she will eventually be a much better handler than I could ever hope to be. Maybe if I had started showing dogs in my youth instead of horses I'd be good at it. I can do a decent stack given 15 seconds instead of the less than 10 seconds you usually get, but I move at a speed that would be great if I were showing French Bulldogs............ unfortunately Dobermans need to move a tad bit faster ......... sigh :)

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Sounds like a great weekend! Great for your daughter to get into the ring. Doesn't take long to get you hooked.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
How wonderful that this is something you and your daughter can do together! And think of the confidence she will gain from showing your dogs. Congrats to you both!

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Great thing to be doing with your daughter. Much luck!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Aaaahhhh, the ulterior motive comes out. Good for you and Maureen will benefit greatly from your motive. You both will profit. She sounds like a lovely girl, you a great mom and let's not forget the wonderful Louise.
Glad you two had such a great time.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Congratulations!! I envy your Daughter so much, i wish i had started showing at such a young age instead of starting in my 40's.Good luck to her and i hope she goes on to be the top breeder of Dobermans in the U.S. in the future (tell her to put me down for pick of the litter in about 15 years time :) :) )

·
Premium Member
8,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aaaahhhh, the ulterior motive comes out. Good for you and Maureen will benefit greatly from your motive. You both will profit. She sounds like a lovely girl, you a great mom and let's not forget the wonderful Louise.
Glad you two had such a great time.
Well, I started talking to her about Jr handling when she was 9 (she was 11 in May), and she has always been interested but we just never really got around to it till now. I did have to wait for Louise to finish her championship first. She is so active in competitive swimming that it can be hard to find time for another sport. Jr Handling seems perfect because we can pick and choose shows to work around her swim schedule. It also gets me motivated to go into the BOB class........... kind of the "as long as I'm there........might as well" mentality <grin>.

My husband is so NOT a dog show person and in fact has never gone to a show. I figure that he will eventually go now to see Maureen show............... he is very supportive of everything they do. Maybe he will like it ..........stranger things have happened!

My younger daughter is just 9. So far she is not interested in showing dogs, but maybe in another year or so. She is the horse crazy girl and wants to take lessons..............trying to find the cash for that . ... sigh.... wish we could just stick with dogs.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Well, I started talking to her about Jr handling when she was 9 (she was 11 in May), and she has always been interested but we just never really got around to it till now. I did have to wait for Louise to finish her championship first. She is so active in competitive swimming that it can be hard to find time for another sport. Jr Handling seems perfect because we can pick and choose shows to work around her swim schedule. It also gets me motivated to go into the BOB class........... kind of the "as long as I'm there........might as well" mentality <grin>.

My husband is so NOT a dog show person and in fact has never gone to a show. I figure that he will eventually go now to see Maureen show............... he is very supportive of everything they do. Maybe he will like it ..........stranger things have happened!

My younger daughter is just 9. So far she is not interested in showing dogs, but maybe in another year or so. She is the horse crazy girl and wants to take lessons..............trying to find the cash for that . ... sigh.... wish we could just stick with dogs.
I've had horses all my life, started showing them when I was 9 years old. I think you will find that most of the kids involved with horses are pretty good kids.

·
Mighty One
1,734 Posts
Thanks for sharing Mary Jo.. I can see how utterly proud you are. Way to go Maureen and Louise! :tropthy: Tracy and Drago

1 - 20 of 29 Posts