Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I posted a while back about getting a fawn but I was wrong, he is a blue doberman. He is a very good looking dog and I am very happy that I got him. I don't know much about fawn and blues and I am trying to learn as much as I can so I can take really good care of him. I finally decided on a name, Syrus. If anyone has any information or tips on taking care of a blue, I would appreciate it. I am trying to decide on what brand of food I will be feeding him, right now I am feeding him purina pro plan. Be sure to check out pics of Syrus in the photo gallery. :)

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
He is a cutie Josh. First thing I would do is get those nails trimmed down so that it makes them easier to keep short in the future. I dont know much about the blue and fawns other than they are prone to coat and skin problems. I would talk to the breeder about what to do for him, and I would make sure to feed a super premium kibble. Flax Seed Oil has also helped my dogs coat, and they love the taste.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I agree with BackInBlack, flax oil is great. I gave it to Suzy as a pup and her coat feels like velvet, better than my other 3 Dobies. There are so many knowledgeable people here on DT so you'll learn a lot from them. Good luck with your new cutie.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Doberman coats aren't supposed to feel like velvet. The coat is supposed to be hard, even unpleasant to pet. That is as a protection for the dog. That aside, it has recently been recognized that quite a few dogs are allergic to flaxseed oil.

·
Registered
333 Posts
If you're trying to elevate your reputation while discrediting mine by nitpicking my choice of words then I think that's a cheap shot. Others on this board including our mod Kratty, have all commented on their dogs smooth and silky coat with no discredit. The DPCA standard is "Smooth-haired, short, hard, thick and close lying coat", I don't see where it says it is supposed to be unpleasant to touch. I, for one would rather have a shiny, smooth and silky coat than a dull, rough and flaky one.

Any food or supplement has the capability of producing an allergic reaction. I stand by the use of flax oil 100% and my vet supports its use unless you are using it specifically for therapeutic anti-inflammatory purposes and in that case she prefers the use of fish oil because as she says some dogs can't convert the omega 3 in flax to ALA, something needed for anti-inflammatory. Other than that she recommends the addition of flax oil as it also has other health-building properties as well.

Everyone should study and come to their own conclusion for what is right for their own dog. We all like to share what we know, that is why we come to this board, at least I come here to share as well as to learn from others but I also realize that not everyone will be able to accept or agree with what some have to say and that's ok. Using common sense and deciding for ourselves what is the best for our dogs is most important.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
doberlover said:
The DPCA standard is "Smooth-haired, short, hard, thick and close lying coat", I don't see where it says it is supposed to be unpleasant to touch. I, for one would rather have a shiny, smooth and silky coat than a dull, rough and flaky one.
By definition, a "hard" coat is wiry, and can be kind of..prickly in some cases. That has nothing to do with being "dull, rough and flaky". Really correct coats are also kind of water resistant..I've had dobermans with excellent coats, and water rolls right off of it, you have to use creme rinse on them prior to wetting them down to get the coat to absorb water.

I don't think Micdobe was doing anything but trying to educate people..soft, silky coats aren't desirable in this breed.

·
Extraordimary
4,954 Posts
People, in general, prize velvety coats but as micdobe and murreydobe are saying, it's not correct in the breed. There are a lot of people who think their Doberman has something wrong with it if the coat is hard when it's supposed to be that way. They knock themselves out trying different shampoos and adding different supplements when all along they've got what they're supposed to have. I think a lot of people are relieved to hear they shouldn't be fighting that particular battle. ;-)

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Neither Rommel or Piper (my boxer) have had any problems with the Flax Seed Oil. But I agree that you should do what you think is best for your dog, and back that up by what your vet or breeder reccommends.

·
Registered
665 Posts
MaryAndDobes said:
People, in general, prize velvety coats but as micdobe and murreydobe are saying, it's not correct in the breed. There are a lot of people who think their Doberman has something wrong with it if the coat is hard when it's supposed to be that way. They knock themselves out trying different shampoos and adding different supplements when all along they've got what they're supposed to have. I think a lot of people are relieved to hear they shouldn't be fighting that particular battle. ;-)
Agree. My dobe's coat has become so much better looking as far as shine goes since I got him (his coat was a mess when I first brought him home!) but although it may be shiney, it has that "wirey" texture to it which I have read on other sites that is the appropriate coat texture. Shine is a plus but baby's butt smooth is not how it should feel.

·
Registered
665 Posts
DaKari said:
How much flax seed oil do you give, anyone?

I got some for mine and they are the gels, they are 1000 mgs each.
I only give my poms flax seed oil from time to time, but recommend "brewers yeast" supplements (found at most local pet stores such as Petco) which enhances the coat but isn't as allergy prone as flax is. Too much flax can also cause severe diahrrehea so be careful with amount intake.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
My dobes coat is soft as a baby's bum and shiny as the sun in your eyes and I love it!!! I personally wouldn't want a hard coat because I pat and cuddle my dog! I have met many champion dobes with soft coats and have never heard of it being undesired!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I have one of each, Da'Kari is softer and feels nice, Nash on the other hand has what I call "course" hair. I would love Nash's to be like Da'Kari's. Her's shines a lot more and just looks all around better. But here all along I thought Nash's hair was unhealthy LOL and his is the correct type.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Duchess has a real soft coat too. Sometimes after spending time with other dogs...and I havent seen Duchess in awhile I come home and she feels SOOO SOFT. and I love the hair on the inside part of her neck :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
I've got a softy here as well. Don't think I would have it any other way.

Naveen

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Both of my dogs have hard coats. Velma's lays very tight and feels soft, but it can be prickly. Louise has a denser very hard coat. It is not soft.
After a bath, it feels softer.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts