Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Da Boss
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past several months we've noticed that Brandy gets stiff after a good run or a romp at the dog park. It starts after she gets home and rests for awhile. After she lays a bit she gets up and is a little limpy on her back right leg until she walks around and works out some of that stiffness.
Yesterday we took her to the park and DH was able to throw the ball quite a bit as the park was pretty deserted. We got home and watched a movie with my little lap dog on top of me. When she got up from that, she was limping and it was more pronounced than it normally is, so she definitely overdid it. She just turned 6 on Christmas Eve.

I wanted to get your opinions on a few things:

1. I think it's time to start a joint supplement and wonder what you folks use/recommend?

2. Do you think we should stop going to the dog park or just limit the amount of time we spend there? Maybe no more fetch? She's loves going and having that ability to run and stretch her legs out (we don't have a fenced in back yard). I hate to cut it out completely, but I don't want her to be in pain either, so we'll do what we have to do.

3. We have her regular monthly check up in two weeks. It really seems to me like it's just arthritis, but in your experiences do you think we should be going sooner?

4. We've also been contemplating getting a puppy. I worry, now, that it could be too much for Brandy. (Although she's normally a huge goof and can walk for miles with no problems, it's just running that we notice her having trouble). We really want a pup, but Brandy is our "dawghter" and there's nothing I wouldn't do or not do for her. Is there an age in dogs where you shouldn't introduce a younger member to the household? I've heard so many times that puppies make older dogs feel young and again just wanted your experiences.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and share your thoughts with me. I've really enjoyed the site and your passion for this wonderful breed!

·
Da Boss
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just caught that I said regular monthly check up, but I meant yearly check up. :)

·
Super Moderator
21,902 Posts
I would talk to your vet, first, but I think a supplement might be helpful. I've been using Dasuqin for Simon and am pleased with it. We're actually switching over to Glyco-Flex III to give it a try, as I've heard good things about that, too.

Simon's older than your girl (he's 9), but we basically let him dictate what he does and doesn't want to do as far as activity levels. He's pretty good at self-regulating.

Reactions: Meldrew79

·
Da Boss
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's still a little stiff even today. My husband thinks I'm being an overprotective mom, because I mentioned bringing her in to the vet today. I've heard so many horror stories lately that I know I could be jumping to conclusions, but isn't it better to be safe than sorry? :confused:

Reactions: Sam1491

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
She's still a little stiff even today. My husband thinks I'm being an overprotective mom, because I mentioned bringing her in to the vet today. I've heard so many horror stories lately that I know I could be jumping to conclusions, but isn't it better to be safe than sorry? :confused:
A million times yes! I work at a clinic so I tend to take advantage and i'm constantly bringing up this that or the other thing about Mabel or my other dogs, i usually know they are nothing or small things of unimportance but i like the reassurance and second opinion/set of eyes.

If you dont ask you never know, sort of thing.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
My girl is almost 10 and still doesn't get stiff after a good run session. I would definitely get that checked out.

I actually just started her on Dasuquin.

·
Super Moderator
21,902 Posts
I would go in for a vet visit myself. I don't think that kind of stiffness is normal in a six year old.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would go in for a vet visit myself. I don't think that kind of stiffness is normal in a six year old.
I disagree somewhat on 'normal'. It sounds as if the dog has a somewhat sedentary lifestyle and going to the park isn't an every day thing. No fenced backyard, etc. (correct me if I'm wrong!!)

When my dog was 6, I did have a fenced backyard, but it wasn't huge....only a 60 x 100 area. When I took him into a secured field area to run, he would get stiff the next day as he wasn't used to that kind of activity on a daily basis, due to weather restrictions (snow, ice, rain, too hot) my life, etc.

He's 9 now and has a half acre (secured) all to himself and he runs it daily. No more stiffness as this is his lifestyle now.

I do think a joint supplement would be great for you dog. Check with your vet.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Sam's gonna be 8 in a few months and doesn't seem to be slowing down. However, he is conditioned, exercised every day. I also give him Dasuquin with MSM daily.

·
Da Boss
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for all the input. What InSearchOf said really rang a bell for me. We haven't been as active with Brandy for the last couple of years, because my husband has had some serious back problems (three surgeries in two years, plus a staph infection).
It's been a little weird for me, as DH and I did pretty much everything with her together; walks, dog parks, hiking trails, etc. I've been taking her out for walks that are about an hour or so long most days, but I know that's not the same as being able to get out and run! I don't always feel comfortable taking her to the dog park by myself though, because you just never know what other people's dogs are going to do. Looks like we're going to have to put our big girl panties on and just do it!
It's funny that the answer is probably so simple, but it just never occurred to me. I'm still going to get her in to see the vet, just for peace of mind. Provided he okays it, Brandy and I are going to have to get out and find some good places for her to stretch her legs and get that conditioning back. (Won't hurt me none either!)

Reactions: InSearchOf

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
You don't have to do dog parks. Find an open field, unoccupied tennis courts, ball fields, etc. Keep her on a long line so she doesn't wander off to chase squirrels :nicejob:

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
From what you describe, I'd be a little suspicious of a CCL injury, so make sure your vet has a look at the knee.

·
Da Boss
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I talked at length with my vet today and Brandy's going in at 10:00 on Saturday to be checked out. I'll let you all know how it goes and thanks again for your time!

·
Da Boss
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good News!

Brandy had her appointment today and the vet checked out her legs really well. She said that her knee seems strong, so I'm thankful it's not her CCL. She believes that it could be a touch of arthritis starting in her hip so she put her on a Glucosamine supplement. We're supposed to make sure we don't let her run at the dog park and then let her just come home and sleep. We need to make sure she walks and cools down properly. I've taken sam&macksmom's advice and got a long lead for her to let her run and play out in the backyard/open fields. We are also going to Home Depot later today to price out how much it would be to fence in our backyard. We'll see how that goes... with DH possibly being off another couple of months that could be awhile, but at least we'll have an idea.

Thank you all for your advice and input! I really appreciate it. It's nice to have the support of folks who love their dogs just as much as I love mine!

:kiss:

Reactions: MeadowCat
1 - 16 of 16 Posts