Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
micdobe said:
I don't think she's been making these posts lately just be joyous about the birth of her "babies", she has plenty of other sites she does that on. I think she's posting here to attract buyers for the puppies.
I think this is exactly right.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Patricia Dine Sellers said:
Hiedi was 2 years old in January. My vet checks my dogs in every way proable.
What a crock. Quite a few of the tests recommended prior to breeding dobermans CAN'T be done by a regular vet..they have neither the equipment nor the training to do these kinds of tests.

Funny...Hiedi doesn't appear in the OFA database.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
lykanthropy said:
Hi guys,

I have a question for you all. Most of you know from my introduction that I show and occasionally breed Harlequin Great Danes. In harls, there is a high chance of pure whites being born. This is just how the genetics work. These dogs have blue eyes, pink noses, skin, everything. If they don't have black pigment at all they usually are deaf and have eye sight problems. Even if there are merle or light colored patches, it will occur still.

So my question is, why haven't the white danes been labled Albino by the GDCA or other members? They are no different than white dobes, but have never had the lable on them
Shouldn't you be asking this question of Great Dane people?

My best guess is white danes are caused by doubling up on the merle gene or by the white spotting gene. But Great Dane color genetics are pretty complicated and not particularly relevant to this discussion.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
snickerdoodle said:
did you ask her what name the OFA is under if there is one. because it doesnt have to be under Blue Moon or Heidi... or even Patrica. I guess it could be under her husband if she is married. Mine is under my husband as owner and Mine is totally different than his call name so you or anyone couldnt find it unless you knew what it was under.
ROFL..you don't need to know the owner's name to search the OFA database. All you need to know is the registered name (or partial name) or registration number.

Hiedi Van Hans Sellers
WZ005973/01
dob 12-17-03

Blue Moon Van Hans Sellers
WZ006523/07
dob 10-01-04

Millie Van Hans Sellers
WS01143008
June 8, 2002

Slick VanHans Sellers
WS01311804
June 12, 2002

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
snickerdoodle said:
While we can readily identify an Albino, we cannot detect the mutant gene which is carried by a great many of our normal colored dogs.

this tells me they can look at a doberman see that it is albino but they cant detect it yet they can tell it is albino unless the gene map shows it is an albino naturally we cannot say for sure. and unfortunately as I study more I do still support my parent club however I do also support the fact that their words are so contradictory and this is why i generally leave politics and religion alone...

albino dobermans are like politics and religion something that should be left alone and not discussed haha
No, what that tells you is animals who carry ONE copy of the gene are normally colored, and thus can't be identified as CARRIERS of the albino trait.
This is a simple recessive, so an animal needs to have TWO copies of the gene (receiving one from each parent) for the trait to be expressed.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
snickerdoodle said:
so if we have a z factored and a non z you get one gene makes no sense you totally contradicted yourself the unfortunate event is this thread still wasnt started im sure for this reason?
You don't have a very good grasp of simple genetics, do you?

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
snickerdoodle said:
if a black and tan is a carrier why if you breed to another black and tan you dont get white hmmm just curious since you know so much.
Actually you COULD get albino puppies if both the black/rust parents carried the albino gene. The projected distribution of carrier x carrier breeding is 25/50/25 clear, carrier, affected.

If one black/rust parent carried the trait and the other black/rust parent didn't carry the trait, then no puppy in the litter would be affected(albino), but each puppy in the litter would have a 50/50 chance of being a carrier.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
snickerdoodle said:
we arent talking vWD here lol and i didnt say say a z factored and you can get a white if you breed to non z factored. the likely hood is less yes but it is possible i have seen two whites breed and have thirteen black and tan puppies... how is this possible if you genetics is proper... it isnt according to what you are saying because It has happened. I dont like itbut it has

So tell us..who were these albinos that produced an all black litter when bred together? We hear all sorts of claims about albinos from their supporters, but no one is ever willing to provide any way to verify the information.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
snickerdoodle said:
oh well i dont support them but i have seen pictures of them it has been thirteen or so years since the two had this happen.
What does a picture prove? Show us some dna evidence that supports the claim two albinos produced an all black litter.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
snickerdoodle said:
approximately 13 years ago sweetie they didnt have research to detect those types of genes however. ill get you the link ASAP...
A link to a photo means nothing. Dna testing to prove parentage has been around for awhile..I had a dna profile done on a dog about 8-9 years ago prior to collecting semen. It wasn't a brand new procedure then.

Maybe there was dna testing to prove parentage available 13 years ago, maybe there wasn't. But that's what it would take to actually prove your point. Without it, you're just making a claim you can't substantiate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.