Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He started getting a bump in his mouth, bottom front. I took him to the doctor, they did a test and it came up as a spindle cell tumor. My main doctor recommended surgery to remove it with part of the jaw, the surgeon said it along with part of his jaw should be removed and the oncologist said the same. Its nasty looking, its puling his teeth apart and looks like something that can simply be removed without taking a chunk of his jaw out but apparently they say its in the jaw. I am getting a biopsy done Tuesday to see the specific kind of cancer it is and some other tests done but the doctors say part of the jaw must get removed. I am torn!! They say that I can try some chemotherapy but the odds of that being successful are so small. It sounds a little selfish of me to not want part of his jaw removed BUT if this truly is the only way to save his life I'll do it. He's acting completely normal, normal energy, appetite and everything except this dam bump in his mouth. I don't want to cut a section of jaw out. I will do anything to treat this if there were other methods available, but removing part of the jaw seems to be my only option. Anyone experience this and have you heard of any kind of treatments besides the removal of a piece of the jaw? The tumor itself must get removed, thats fine but if theres anything else I can do to prevent the jaw part I'd do. Money is no object, my dog is like my child and I'll do whatever it takes to make sure he's healthy. This is such a tough time for me!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
My prayers are with you.............only you and your vet can make those decisions...........Enjoy everyday you have together!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My prayers are with you.............only you and your vet can make those decisions...........Enjoy everyday you have together!!
He ain't going nowhere! He might be a little mangled when we're done but he'll be fine. His will to live is to strong. Plus...He's not "sick" minus the tumor in his mouth. Just seeing if anyone has had this experience before and if theres any other remedies besides removing part of his jaw. From what I've heard from my vet, surgeon and oncologist this is the only realistic option, but I will try anything before I get part of his jaw removed. He's such a good dog, with a big heart who hasn't hurt anyone. He doesn't deserve this!

If ANYONE knows of any other types of treatment short of removing a piece of his jaw I'm all ears. I live in Seattle. I'll go anywhere in the world to fix this! Money is not an object.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
There are several people on the bonecancerdogs yahoo group with dogs that have had this. I get the impression the jaw removal is pretty much the treatment of choice, but you may be surprised at how well these dogs do.

There has also been some success on shrinking primary osteo tumors, in the leg at least, using an artemisinin regimen.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm a dog groomer and I've had 2 clients over the years that had to have part of their dogs jaw removed due to cancer. They seemed to adjust & do well. Its a tough call,am sure each case is differant. Best of luck.

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
I'm sorry, hugs to your boy and I hope he does well.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
He ain't going nowhere! He might be a little mangled when we're done but he'll be fine. His will to live is to strong. Plus...He's not "sick" minus the tumor in his mouth. Just seeing if anyone has had this experience before and if theres any other remedies besides removing part of his jaw. From what I've heard from my vet, surgeon and oncologist this is the only realistic option, but I will try anything before I get part of his jaw removed. He's such a good dog, with a big heart who hasn't hurt anyone. He doesn't deserve this!

If ANYONE knows of any other types of treatment short of removing a piece of his jaw I'm all ears. I live in Seattle. I'll go anywhere in the world to fix this! Money is not an object.
That's great news...........Look into a holistic approach in his eating with lots of vitamins of course with the vets ok:)

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Might write to the Dog Fancy Magazine several years ago some ones dog had a oral cancer they used some kind of Natural Holistic black type tar medication believe it was a Chinese type medication. Sorry I cannot remember better information.Good Luck with your quest for your Fur Kid Rays & Hugs.
Patches my Dachshund has a growth by her little teeth on the bottom scared on what it might be going in this week I hope to find out about it.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
One day I noticed my old Boxer was having difficulty drinking/eating from her bowl, I thought maybe she had a loose tooth or something but was horrified to find a huge lump inside her mouth the size of a golf ball. I rushed her down to the vets and was told it was a kind of tumour, it was removed that afternoon thankfully it was just a soft tissue growth, but the vet had told me then it might have been necessary to remove some of the bone. I was terrified but knew it had to be done one way or the other for her sake. Just as you know the lump must be removed but I can understand your reticence over part of his jaw following suit.
My first question would be, how much bone are they talking about removing? Is it a small piece, or quite a large chunk. Have you discussed how he will eat, drink with the piece removed, will it affect him doing these things. I understand it isnt a pleasant thought but if this is the only option then you have to do it, for your boys sake. I am not sure if your vet will consider this, but have you discussed a bone graft? When humans have to have such surgery they usually have a bone graft put in place so that the impact of the removal is lessened. Perhaps this might be an option.
In the end, only you and your vet can decide.

Good luck and please keep us informed as to what is happening with your boy. :kiss:

·
Super Moderator
21,913 Posts
Personally, if money's not an object, I'd get a consult with a veterinary oncologist and go from there.

Reactions: Sage and Beaumont67

·
Registered
60 Posts
Oral Sarcoma

My dachshund had this; had almost half of his lower jaw removed. He adjusted surprisingly well, he was eating the day after surgery :) of course. . . .

He lived with this for many years. We just had to be careful keeping his remaining teeth clean.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Might write to the Dog Fancy Magazine several years ago some ones dog had a oral cancer they used some kind of Natural Holistic black type tar medication believe it was a Chinese type medication. Sorry I cannot remember better information.Good Luck with your quest for your Fur Kid Rays & Hugs.
Patches my Dachshund has a growth by her little teeth on the bottom scared on what it might be going in this week I hope to find out about it.
Neosplasene (sp?) probably. My vet has had minor success with a rottie with an oral tumor after all other options had failed. Another local vet has used it too for various cancers with some limited success.

personally I'd opt for removal and would consult with an oncologist ASAP.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for everyones suggestions appreciated. I already did see an oncologist, she was my 3rd opinion. Had a small emergency Monday with Snoop. We went for a walk, he found a ball and it tore open his tumor with gushing blood and nasty piece of skin hanging out. Took him to the ER, they treated it as much as possible before I had my scheduled biopsy Tuesday to test the type of cancer and do other tests while under. The results came in and this is what the oncologist said, I have a lot of questions and I'm still a little confused.

Here is the email she sent me..........

"Hi,
I left a message on your cell phone, I am in the clinic very briefly today and wanted to give you results as soon as possible. I received the results from your veterinarian. The radiographs are showing destruction of the lower jaw bone under the mass. The biopsy made a diagnosis of a benign tumor called fibroma but i am concerned that it is not a correct diagnosis. I requested a second opinion from a different pathologist. there is a type of cancer called fibrosarcoma that is the cancerous counterpart of fibroma which can be difficult to diagnose because it looks very similar to the benign version. however, this tumor is destroying the bone and therefore it cannot be benign. It is often very challenging to differentiate the two but regardless, the next step is the surgery to remove the affected part of the jaw. The risk of the tumor spreading elsewhere is low, therefore surgery is all that is needed. Any type of sarcoma can be challenging to remove because they extend way beyond the visible mass effect. I am hoping you are making an appointment with Dr. Mison asap because this tumor will keep advancing and be harder or impossible to remove completely. please discuss with Dr. Mison the likelihood of removing the tumor completely.

Snoop's radiographs had one nodule that was possibly in the lung,a although the radiologist was not sure. Recheck chest radiographs or a CT scan of the chest can be considered for further evaluation.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. i will be back in the clinic Monday morning."

I am torn! Don't know if the removal of the jaw is the only/best outcome!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Im so sorry to hear this. I lost an 8 year old to a brain tumor. Im sure the vet will make the right call on him though.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I'd contact the doctor she recommends myself and go from there. From my limited googling, chemo doesn't seem very effective. Radiation might be. A friend's dog just treated with radiation for a nasal tumor without any side effects. Granted there are no cures for most cancers. It bought her an additional 12-18 months most likely. It was expensive and again you'd never know the dog had any radiation or treatment. But it's not the route everyone wants to go either.

Also confirming whether or not there is a nodule in the lung would be a huge difference in what I did.

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd contact the doctor she recommends myself and go from there. From my limited googling, chemo doesn't seem very effective. Radiation might be. A friend's dog just treated with radiation for a nasal tumor without any side effects. Granted there are no cures for most cancers. It bought her an additional 12-18 months most likely. It was expensive and again you'd never know the dog had any radiation or treatment. But it's not the route everyone wants to go either.

Also confirming whether or not there is a nodule in the lung would be a huge difference in what I did.
We already saw him, his recommendation was surgery which is why I got another opinion from the oncologist he referred. The problem I have with referrals is I don't want a rubber stamp from the referred doctor to give eachother business and not to undermine eachother. This is such a hard decision. He LOVES to play catch with the ball. If he gets this surgery he probably won't be able to do this anymore and it would break my heart! I'm so torn!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
We already saw him, his recommendation was surgery which is why I got another opinion from the oncologist he referred. The problem I have with referrals is I don't want a rubber stamp from the referred doctor to give eachother business and not to undermine eachother. This is such a hard decision. He LOVES to play catch with the ball. If he gets this surgery he probably won't be able to do this anymore and it would break my heart! I'm so torn!
So sorry to hear that :( I guess I'd ask the prognosis/qualify of life if you do remove it and if you don't remove and what other options might be.

I would imagine it is going to get bad enough he won't be able to catch the ball anymore anyway. I had a Vizsla with cutaneous lymphoma that started near her jaw and she also loved balls and frisbee. I stopped frisbee relatively soon and she could chase a ball but not catch it. Towards the end even that was too much.

Can he eat ok?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So sorry to hear that :( I guess I'd ask the prognosis/qualify of life if you do remove it and if you don't remove and what other options might be.

I would imagine it is going to get bad enough he won't be able to catch the ball anymore anyway. I had a Vizsla with cutaneous lymphoma that started near her jaw and she also loved balls and frisbee. I stopped frisbee relatively soon and she could chase a ball but not catch it. Towards the end even that was too much.

Can he eat ok?
Yeah, it sounds a little petty that he might not be able to play catch with the ball anymore, but thats his thing! Loves to play with the ball. We go to the dog park and he'll sniff around until he finds one. Its part of his identity and taking that part of his identity away from him is heart breaking! He's a good dog! I know everyone says that about their dogs, but he's the nicest, friendliest, happiest dog a person can have. Doesn't have a mean bone in his body except when he sees a squirrel or cat of course but he's such a sweet dog that doesn't deserve this!

I feel bad...Imagine being put under, waking up and part of your body part is missing. It would be tough for a human, noneless a dog. A very confusing situation. If I absolutely must remove part of the jaw to save his life I will. He isn't in any pain, he's as happy as ever and the only "problem" with his is cosmetic. Minus the cancer in the tumor of course but the cancer isn't harming him, its the tumor. His appetite is as good as always. I used to give him some raw hide, or hard types of treats and those kong balls filled with treats, he won't eat them. I can understand why. His front bottom teeth in front of his K9's are all mangled and feel like they're about to fall out. I just want to make sure that there is nothing I can do short of removing part of his jaw. I will do it, but it will break my heart!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I don't think it's petty. it's something he loves.

But keep in mind dogs don't have the emotional attachment to body parts like we do and they typically adjust well.

Just remember there is no wrong answer. You will find what's right for you and your dog. That's what counts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts