Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Eating some wood, is quite common in puppy and mid years...as long as it is NOT :
- excessive
- obviously your coffee table or bed leg

I always keep a stick (or 2) on our front lawn, for some fun dober wood chewing...in the summer months.
If if was too much of a good thing, I would simply say ENOUGH & REDIRECT, with a game of tennis ball.
- my dog has never associated with chewing wood inside...she knows the diff. between a stick that I give her and a piece of household furniture
(that is off limits)
- my old girl rarely touches sticks anymore...but a few times, she is still interested...lol

I also use the outside chew sticks, as items to play FETCH with...and at the end of our game time, its chew time.
- so its fair to say, I encourage some stick chewing...and use them as training tools, as well

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have a six month old also. she was eating so much wood and twigs that her poop almost looked like horse poop. i ended up getting her a BIG rawhide bone and that has seemed to take care of the problem.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Am I the only one that sees dollar signs watching dogs chew on wood?

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
not enough chew toys
buy more chew toys :D

Bronson loves chewing sticks, but he loves his cow weenies more
^^^^ +1 exactly
It helps to sit with a dog (early on) with some prized toys out, and help them learn to love a good chew / only on appropiate stuff.

Am I the only one that sees dollar signs watching dogs chew on wood?
^^^^ He-He.
My dog was toy trained so successfully, that she knew the clear difference between:
- wood stick outside OK to chew...coffee table leg not
- old socks that I gave her OK to chew, but going into the laundry basket is off limits
Its all about setting up rules and boundaries and communicating ones clear expectations...to the dog.
- I use wood sticks and socks w/holes in them, as outside & inside training tools...and it does result in responsible chewing

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Haha once I saw Brandy nibbling on the wooden drawers we keep the plates in and I just gave her a No! and then gave her a giant stick and she hasn't chewed it since! Made me laugh though. Obviously she was just bored haha! Just to see her little shark teeth nibbling away still makes me laugh to this day! Silly Dobes!

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
_______
5,102 Posts
^^^^ +1 exactly
It helps to sit with a dog (early on) with some prized toys out, and help them learn to love a good chew / only on appropiate stuff.

^^^^ He-He.
My dog was toy trained so successfully, that she knew the clear difference between:
- wood stick outside OK to chew...coffee table leg not
- old socks that I gave her OK to chew, but going into the laundry basket is off limits
Its all about setting up rules and boundaries and communicating ones clear expectations...to the dog.
- I use wood sticks and socks w/holes in them, as outside & inside training tools...and it does result in responsible chewing
You know, with all the people on this forum who've lost dogs to socks, nylons, underwear I hope no one takes your post as training advice.

I guess people need to start adding things like this to contracts "knowingly giving deadly items for chew toys is a breach of contract with a $10,000 fine in the event of death".
:::shudder:::

1 - 9 of 9 Posts