Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an American black and brown dobie who is 1yr and 2 months only weighing 53 pounds. I’m concerned is this normal? Why is she so small? She’s very thin where you can see her ribs and back of her spine clearly. She gets fed well and eats a lot.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,257 Posts
Also, has she been seen by a vet to rule out parasite and metabolic problems?

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
I have an American black and brown dobie who is 1yr and 2 months only weighing 53 pounds. I’m concerned is this normal? Why is she so small? She’s very thin where you can see her ribs and back of her spine clearly. She gets fed well and eats a lot.
Your description sounds like a young bitch who simply isn't being fed enough. You don't say how much food she get (in measured amounts or by the kilocalorie's (listed on the bag per 8 oz cup usually.

A Doberman that thin so that their ribs and spine show and who only weighs 53 pounds at 14 months just plain underfed.

I have talked to people who think they are feeding a Doberman youngster lots of food and it turns out they may have had other breeds before this first Dobe and the previous dogs might have been fat on the amount they were feeding the Dobe but typically (and I've had other breeds before, during and after Doberman puppies ) Dobes need more food than most puppies in or near their size range.

Talk to your vet or your breeder about this for starters.

dobebug

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
28,189 Posts
There are some diseases, infestations and metabolic disorders that can cause a dog to not be able to take advantage of all the calories they consume--but they can't really be diagnosed over the internet. You need hands-on help and testing for that. Take a trip to your vet and consult with them about causes and treatments. That should help you get to the bottom of what is causing her to be so thin.

·
Registered
I now have a 15 yr old Yorkie, yes I know a big difference from a Dobie.
54 Posts
I've had 2 Dobies in the past. I too have a female (although a Euro) she was just 7 months and weighs 47 lbs. and 24" at the withers, light if u go by the charts. Now my point, Dobies grow up not out the first yr they're all legs and they grow at different speeds like people. The dam is 85 lbs and sire 80 lbs hope she turns out to be about 75 but if more/less she's mine. She is smart, gorgeous and like people some thin some fat as long as healthy what's the difference. Sorry but I've read so many posts on this site worrying about they're dogs size...health temperament that's the key.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts