Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In March I adopted my Ruby's littermate Ike. He has been a very good brother up until about a month ago. Maybe the honeymoon is over...

He has become "leery" about people who come over to visit. He barks and has even nipped a family friend. I am trying to get him back on track through training and socialization. My one fear is him biting children. I want to get him a muzzle so I can re-introduce him to the kids in my family.

I have never used a muzzle before with my dobies... any suggestions for the right size, brand, and style??? Your help is much appreciated!:thanx:

·
Super Moderator
21,890 Posts
I think you need professional help, rather than just a muzzle. I highly recommend a consult with a board certified veterinary behaviorist: Find a Board Certified Veterinary Behaviorist ACVB. A bite (even a "nip") is not something to take lightly and aggression towards people is not something most people can "fix" on their own.

Reactions: PatchworkRobot

·
Bad Wolf
960 Posts
Please go to a behaviorist and work with a trainer.

There are many different muzzles you can use. I have a Baskerville plastic one and a Javco. I like both equally, but the Javco gives other people more confidence around the dog.

Whichever muzzle you purchase, please ensure the dog can at the very least pant and drink water. I do not like the cloth muzzles that hold the dogs mouth closed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seeking out professional help is my next step in this process...

In the meantime, I want to prevent any other instances. I checked out muzzles today at the pet shop. I bought a mesh/cloth one to try. I do not intend to keep him in a muzzle long term (maybe 10 minutes or so at a time).

·
Super Moderator
21,890 Posts
Seeking out professional help is my next step in this process...

In the meantime, I want to prevent any other instances. I checked out muzzles today at the pet shop. I bought a mesh/cloth one to try. I do not intend to keep him in a muzzle long term (maybe 10 minutes or so at a time).
The mesh kind will probably make your dog more agitated because it holds their mouths closed. I'd recommend a basket muzzle - I actually bought a greyhound muzzle for Shanoa and it fits her really well.

Reactions: RubyRose
1 - 5 of 5 Posts