Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First, just wanted to say to TracyJo, I love your dogs' "titles" in your profile. (HAHAHAHA--I know, I'm slow to notice.) Mine is a thief and has been since I brought him home. What is the title for that? Maybe 2dM (for 2nd degree misdemeanor)? For the first few months, his "stash" was under my bed--toys, blankets, socks, bones, shoes, dishes, laundry, telephones, boxes, etc.--but he's too big to get under it now. Yesterday, he stole my queen-sized pillow and buried it in the ground vertically sans pillowcase. If the sun hadn't been shining just right on a tiny white triangle corner sticking out of the green lawn, I would still be standing over the bed scratching my head.

As for today, Oscar and I were enjoying coffee and a bagel at the local Dunkin' Donuts. Now, my Oscar is a very normal size/weight for his age (currently about 70 lbs.) As we sat at the table outside, a large group of senior citizens with a couple little fluffy white bichon/poodles in tow were drawn in to chit chat, socialize and ask questions about the friendly dobie. Before I got to answer them, a very sweet young man no more than 21 years old (one of the senior's grandsons) stood up and announced to his grandpa and the others as if giving a seminar that this dobie right here would get to be between 150-200 lbs. based on his foot size, that that was normal size for this breed, and that his BACK would measure 4 feet above ground once fully grown. He also advised me (unsolicited--because you know we dobie owners don't have a clue about the breed) that PetSmart had the very best dobie obedience training on the planet, that Nutro was the food scientifically proven to produce the shiniest coat, and that a harness with a ring on the chest to hook the leash to tricks all dobies into not pulling on the leash because the hook is in front of their body ("works like a charm", he said). He told me privately that he never actually owned a dog himself but knew alot about dobies because HE USED TO WORK AT PETSMART. The young fellow was beaming with pride from "educating" me on my dog. The seniors were all very impressed and fascinated by their newfound knowledge of dobies. I was impressed that I didn't find one of the tiny bichons under my bed tonight.

Ahhhh, another day, another 8 new dobie fans... Anyway, if any of you have someone walk up and ask if your 100 lb. dobie isn't a little on the small size, this would be why...

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
haha!!!!! If that is the case than Duchess at 60-65 pounds must be a min pin????lol :) awww the funny thing is that Nutro was at our petsmart handing out samples...and talking to people about their product...so he probably saw them speak at a petsmart...and where he obtained all of his knowledge :) How old was the boy? If he really did work at petsmart do you think he may have special needs?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
My tummy hurts from laughing so hard at the image of Oscar systematically digging holes and buyying Bichons!
Honestly Sooz, I'm sadly dissapointed in you! Any responsible owner who truly loves the breed would have taken the time to expand this mans already sizeable knowledge of the breed by explaining that Dobes have a bark so ferocious it has been known to kill Pit Bulls (the bark alone kills, mind you), that they are also the standard version of the cute little Min Pins and let's not forget that their name derives from the fact that their brains continue to grow ("pinching" the brain) causing them to become very aggressive as they mature. :)
What a hoot! I don't know how you made it through that ordeal with a straight face!
Oscar's title should be - PERP, since he's quite a perpetrator :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
HA HA HA that's hilarious!!!!!

It's very common tho. I see it alot in my town. The rough tough kids always think they know about Doberman's. I hear them talking as I walk by and saying stuff that is totally not even true. I just giggle and keep going. ;)

That is still so funny tho. Gosh I would have loved to have been there hahahaha

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PERP...that's perfect! I know I've failed miserably in the education department, but when he told me Oscar would "definitely be closer to 200 lbs.", all I could muster was a kind of muffled squeaky, "Are you sure?", because it takes a great deal of effort to keep from blowing hot coffee out your nose while choking. Plus it's painful.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Hahahahaha. Thats great. I just LOVE it. Did you ask him how much you should feed him so he isn't so under weight? Can you imagine what he would look like? OMG!! Never a dull moment in the life of a doberman owner.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Sooz said:
PERP...that's perfect! I know I've failed miserably in the education department, but when he told me Oscar would "definitely be closer to 200 lbs.", all I could muster was a kind of muffled squeaky, "Are you sure?", because it takes a great deal of effort to keep from blowing hot coffee out your nose while choking. Plus it's painful.
:roflmao: You're killing me here Sooz! I'm the queen of spewing diet coke out of my nose while sitting at the computer, so I can totally sympathize with what you were going through drinking coffee during his sermon.

How about PC for Oscar's title? Perpetrating Cleptomaniac :)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
When I was a Bartender I kept a picture on my bar of my Mom's Doberman, Mandy, drinking out of the toilet, with a caption reading "Are You Tired of Drinking The Same Old Crap", which I used to hustle whatever drink we had on special that night. That gave people an excuse to enlighten me with all kinds of Doberman "facts". I must've heard the one about the brain getting too big for the head at least twenty times. A variation on the big brain/tiny skull syndrome said when this happens the Dobie will turn on it's owner, every time. It's only a matter of time.

Did you know Dobermans have their ears cropped to make them mean? I didn't either until one of my customers filled me in.

How about this one; Dobermans are nothing more than a Rotwiler crossed with a Greyhound.

·
Registered
953 Posts
chaz, I just recently heard that brain one. But for the life of me I can't remember who said it lol. I mean, I just kinda gave a weird look and brushed it off. How does someone actually BELIEVE these things?! lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh my god, Just stop it, I cant get off the floor from rolling in laughter at all that. I was once outside sitting with Roxy and three young men were walking towards me, just before they ran across the other side of the street I heard one of them say that Roxy would probably take their head off for no reason at all because her breed was unpredictable and vicious. Just then a peice of the apple I was eating just about choked me when I started laughing. I guess everyone gets educated via Hollywood these days..

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
No,no,no all these rumours are true,i have to give my dogs pills to make their skulls soft so it doesn't squash their brains,also they are so vicious i have to keep them locked in cages all the time,why just the other day Mischa escaped and ate 2 lions, a tiger and a great white shark,all that at 16 weeks old,i'm so scared what she will be like when she grows up.
:largegr: :muha: :help_up_2 :emo11:
Oh dear, where are my meds? the ones that soften my skull!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
My girlfriends father told me the about the brain thing, when he found out I had a dobie as well, I just laughed and shrugged it off... Not wanting to contradict the man while standing in his house eating his barbeque ribs. =)

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
brumwolf said:
No,no,no all these rumours are true,i have to give my dogs pills to make their skulls soft so it doesn't squash their brains,also they are so vicious i have to keep them locked in cages all the time,why just the other day Mischa escaped and ate 2 lions, a tiger and a great white shark,all that at 16 weeks old,i'm so scared what she will be like when she grows up.
This is too much!! I laughed so hard, I think I woke everyone up. I've heard the skull thing for rotties and pits too though. lol.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I like the one don't ever give them raw meat because once you do they turn viscous and that's when the problems start. They want more and don't care how they get it or from what. Or once a male breeds he is ruined his personality turns completely and he is never a pet again.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
waiting said:
I like the one don't ever give them raw meat because once you do they turn viscous and that's when the problems start. They want more and don't care how they get it or from what. Or once a male breeds he is ruined his personality turns completely and he is never a pet again.
Of course, once they get the taste of fresh blood it's over! They're like sharks in the ocean swimming around looking for the weak and injured seal :)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
brumwolf said:
OMG Brum, I just about wet my pants on this one!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Sooz, your story is hilarious, quite entertaining ROFL, don't ya just love these people that know so much even though they have NO experience with whatever they know so much about. It's what keeps the world going round and round ya know, without them we would just be a lost group of ignorant peeps, feeling our way trying to understand the mysteries of life. But never fear, there is always someone that KNOWS about all this stuff and I guess there always will be.

:3dbiggrin

1 - 20 of 33 Posts