Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are moving this next coming up weekend and our new house, while the back yard is wonderful and huge, it shares a back fence and a side fence with other dogs. I've never had to worry about this before. I worry about fence fighting. Both of my dogs get along with other dogs but Jubes is quite a character for lack of better terms. She loves playing with other dogs but other dogs don't always know how to take her and typically consider her a threat. Some realize right off the bat that she is friendly and playful but that is not the normal at all. I really just want to be able to train her away from the fence. Eventually I would like to be able to put her outside without constant supervision when I'm gardening and such. Do you think just working on a long line and getting her close enough to the fence and recalling her with the line offering praise and treats when she comes to me instead of the fence (something really cool like hotdogs that she loves).

The dogs to the side I think are outside dogs and always bark at us. I've seen them everytime I've gone to the house. The dogs out back I've only seen once. I didn't even know they had dogs.

The good thing about this yard is that it is separated into 2 yards. It doesn't have a gate to close them up but I could get something temporarily, but the big field for them to play is too perfect to keep them from all the time. The yard closest to the house is private from the neighbors and the dogs, but it's less than 1/3 of the whole backyard.

Any other ideas on ways to train them away from the fence so we can enjoy the size of this yard without worry about fence fighting?

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
The first time Kyrah saw another dog on the other side of the fence she went balistic! She had never seen one there before. There is only one little section that is wire fencing that they can see thru. I would walk over there and say thank you, it's ok. Then I played the look at that game. It took a little time for my dogs to learn from me saying at a distance "its ok, enough" and they would walk away. If it is something brand new they will react a bit more loudly and I am ok with that.

They will get used to each other more than likely. The neighbors across the street have 3 outside dogs who bark their heads off! Some new people moved in next door who had dogs and thankfully the dogs did get used to them. Their dogs who are inside dogs who just go out to potty. Since the new neighbors have moved in the outside dogs do not bark as much as they used to. I guess the are more used to the stimulation now.

I would have a plan in place and be very consistent with it. I would go slow and start from a distance moving closer and closer.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had actually thought about the look at that, and just be armed with lots of treats. Telling the kids to bring treats whenever they go out also so it is consistent. I figure if we play our cards right she will run to the back fence and right back to us looking for her treats, then we can wean down from there.

I just know how she reacts to my neighbors mowing their lawn now and it never loses its appeal. The thing is that she is wagging her tail the whole time while sounding like an all out pit bull fight. My concern is the chemicals start reacting and if I don't catch them right in time I'm too late. I figure teaching them the boundaries right off the bat will give me the best chance at having the upper hand.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts